Best Sci Fi Movies 1990-Today

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Best Sci Fi Movies 1990-Today

Post by wing » Thu May 15, 2003 4:52 pm

trashy wrote:Damn you, Blue! I saw this thread earlier, but didn't get a chance to post; when I returned you had stolen the words right out of my mouth. I loved AI. I was the only person I knew who liked it. I thought it was amazing. I also really liked Minority Report.
Was Vanila Sky sci-fi? I would say so: it attempts to describe the human condition by placing humans outside of the constraints of this world. That's sci-fi. I liked that as well.
hehe, awww, i'm sorry i stole em outta your mouth ;)

but yea, i'm glad to know i wasn't the only one. the friend i saw it with also loved it. but everyone else, and i mean EVERYONE i ever talked to hated the movie!! and i was like what on earth?!? my brother goes on about the stupid "spielberg vs. kubrick" thing, which to me is about as annoying as "disney vs. studio ghibli"... i mean, because, kubrick WANTED spielberg to direct it. he knew that spielberg was able to bring the childlike vision the film needed, bring it fabric and content that made the robot a lovable boy. you wanted to take him home and bake him cookies or something. kubrick knew spielberg was able to work with children and make children the way the film needed to be. they would fax each other things about the film for years, until kubrick had passed. it's just a shame he never got to see it while still alive, but the way i see it, it would have been virtually the same.

besides, neither of them wrote the story ;)

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu May 15, 2003 5:03 pm

for the record, i am one of those people that thought that AI sucked.

although i really loved the first act. those creepy parents and the creepy house and the creepy robot boy. great stuff.

but after he ran away i lost interest.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu May 15, 2003 6:15 pm

My favorite was the third act. First act: creepy parents, moral contradictions, etc. Second act: Mad Maxish world, creepy inventor, ethical dilemmas, etc. Third act: ignore all your questions because the world is buried beneath 2000 years of ice and it doesn't matter anyway. It's like Spielberg sets up the smarter viewer to have all of these ideas and ponder all of these deep thoughts, and then says, "You're missing the point, Poindexter." Brilliant.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 16, 2003 12:30 am

c.h.u.d. :lol: (80's)

slaughterhouse 5 (oh, not in time frame {i think}but i will keep it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stargate

contact

matrix

Donnie Darko!! my #1 8)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri May 16, 2003 12:34 am

I loved AI too by the way beg to end.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri May 16, 2003 9:37 am

trashy wrote:Third act: ignore all your questions because the world is buried beneath 2000 years of ice and it doesn't matter anyway. It's like Spielberg sets up the smarter viewer to have all of these ideas and ponder all of these deep thoughts, and then says, "You're missing the point, Poindexter." Brilliant.
i saw the third act as saying: "dont worry, all these issues will work themselves out as soon as those aliens from close encounters take over the earth in 2000 years"

but in another way, i wish all movies had that final act. you know, you get to the end of Silkwood, and they all die, and get buried, and then aliens come and look at their bones.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun May 18, 2003 2:00 am

I propose another seven acts be standard in all movies..

It makes $ents..think about it..

really..