My favorite panel...

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

My favorite panel...

Post by TapeOpAndy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:27 pm

...was Mark Rubel's Records That Made Me Want To Record. Between Joel making me friggin' laugh my head off (as he always does)... and Jim Dickinson, Don Zientara, and Mark Rubel making me cry (seriously, I was fighting back tears by the time Mark stopped talking), there were so many inspiring statements made in that panel.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:13 am

Awesome, Andy. I was having to regulate my breathing up there when "georgia" was playing. Pretty amazing moment in time... That panel renewed my faith in the "tapeop ethic" and reminded me why I would be there in the first place. Regardless of me actually being on the panel, that would have been my favorite. That last panel was the inspiring, creative, honest, endearing, magical peak to the conference IMHO. I want to see more panels like that next year.

More people would leave the conference ready to run in to their studio's, stup a few mics, and record something!!! Dry, academic, textbook information is a crucial part of some aspects of our craft, but let us never mistake dry, academic information AS our craft.

TapeOp needs more inspiring panels like "records that made me want to" and less panels like " proper delivery formats for 5.1 content on the web." BECAUSE, as far as the latter of those two goes, you can look that up on the intraweb. To hear jim dickinson speak his mind: you need to be right there at TapeOpCon. To find out how much something costs: information is available. To FEEL the air in the room as marc rubel describes how a voice changed his life: you have to be at TapeOp Con.

I hope that there is more feedback about this very subject. There was a giddy enthusiasm in the room that last day. What an amazing experience. That panel made me want to record forever. I knew I was a lifer, but that one made me even more glad I do what I do.....

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am

You guys are killing me!!!! I already had to come to terms with my other "day" life after the Joel Studio G workshop. Life has been seeming a bit off track after that weekend. It's probably a good thing I didn't go to T.O. Con.... I would have had to come back to NH to tell my business partner that I was jumping ship to record full time for better or worse.
...was Mark Rubel's Records That Made Me Want To Record
Man, I live for that kind of stuff... Nawlins here I come!

Joel- what's up with workshop 2? I'm going through withdrawal!

--Josh

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:06 am

that panel was my favorite too. close runner up was the 'favorite mix moments' that craig moderated. his story about mixing that calexico track was great, and when he played the tune....man. i was holding back tears then as well.

i agree that i'd like to see way more of that type of thing than the academic stuff. so much more interesting and inspiring.

joel i'm glad you managed to find that copy of sissy strut before the panel!

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:33 pm

i thought the "circuit bending" workshop was pretty awesome... nic collins did a great stand-up routine with not much more than a contact microphone, 4" speaker and a 9 volt battery. david wright and samara krugman had a cool collection of hacked childrens toys. david's suggestion of what to do with a furby had me falling down laughing...

craig's calexico story was one of the highlights for me too.

also - i do like the technical sessions (then again, i was on one).

tucson was a nice change - but i did miss the rock n' bowl of last year.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:09 pm

clearly the RTMMWTR panel ruled all, 'badge' gave me chills long before we even got to Ray. but there was some sick info thrown down at the potluck day in and day out. a lot of which has me all excited to be back home making noise again.

a really great time there this year with a lot of cool people. cheers to all.

soundofsingles
audio school

my favorite panel

Post by soundofsingles » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:21 pm

One of the reasons that those two panels (rtmmwtr and fmm) were so great is that they were well moderated. The moderators made sure that each panelist had their say and kept the discussions on track. It didn't hurt that there were some amazing stories to be told.

I don't know if it would be possible to make a discussion of mastering sexy (although Jeff Carrol swears that chicks dig it) but I'm glad that it existed.

The amount of info imparted during the Potluck sessions was dizzying. I only wish the presenters had had a little more time.

mcaff
studio intern

Re: tears....

Post by mcaff » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:03 am

TapeOpAndy wrote:...was Mark Rubel's Records That Made Me Want To Record. Between Joel making me friggin' laugh my head off (as he always does)... and Jim Dickinson, Don Zientara, and Mark Rubel making me cry (seriously, I was fighting back tears by the time Mark stopped talking), there were so many inspiring statements made in that panel.
Thank god, I was afraid I was the only one.

I thought Mark's speech was powerful and moving enough and infront of a concetrated group of the people who are the future of recording that that moment may eventually be viewed as one of the most influental moements in the history of recording.

We'll have to see how inspired people were and whether they leave targeting people's hearts rather than wallets.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: my favorite panel

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:58 pm

soundofsingles wrote:One of the reasons that those two panels (rtmmwtr and fmm) were so great is that they were well moderated. The moderators made sure that each panelist had their say and kept the discussions on track. It didn't hurt that there were some amazing stories to be told.
Agreed. Absolutely!

I knew ending with Mark's panel would be a home-run. Nice work to everyone involved in that.

It was also nice to see a bit of acoustic instrument recording happening in the Potluck Studio. Joe Chiccarelli's appraoch to recording upright bass and grand piano was fun to watch.

I've also always been a big Sylvia Massey fan, but I think she's my new hero.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:08 am

I really hope that Records That Made Me Want To Record remailn the end of TapeOpCon panel. And I hope Mark continues to moderate it. There were great stories, great choices and surprising tales.

Joel Hamilton pulling out "Sissy Strut" knocked me on my ass!

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:59 am

the panels that were great were really great. Mix Moments was good as was Records That Made Me.... I also enjoyed some of the Pot Luck sessions.

Although I personally love electric gtr ambience in the room mics, Andy's
trick for removing guitar ambience from them was pretty ingenious. Salut!

As usual, Steve's drum recording presentation was very informative and well explained, although it would have been nice for him to have more than 30 minutes to demonstrate his techniques.

I also learned a lot from the "Treating Your 2.1 Room", which had an all-star lineup of panelists. Time to start building some traps.

And the ATR alignment session was grat as well. While I thoought I knew everything about proper machine alignment, I still walked away with some new knowledge.

Overall the conference was a great time. I saw old friends, met knew ones and learned something at the same time. Personally I thought there could have been a wider variety of music (at least from what I saw), but all in all it was a great time. Oh and the food that was provided was excellent.

It was pleasure to meet all of you folks!

best,
mike

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:44 am

cgarges wrote: I've also always been a big Sylvia Massey fan, but I think she's my new hero.
she was the savior of the evening friday night at the fox theater.

my favorite mark rubel quote:
"hey jim...............................................tell us another one."

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 am

Yeah, that one was great. I had some big questions I had answered by Russ Berger. What a great conference this time around!

And "Records" panel was a definite hightlight. Mark R. is the best. He mellows the whole thing down and then goes deep. He's the official Tape Op Con philosopher.
Russian Recording wrote:I also learned a lot from the "Treating Your 2.1 Room", which had an all-star lineup of panelists.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:07 pm

Marlowe wrote:Mark R. is the best.
I think my favorite story of the weekend was the one Mark told at dinner Saturday night about his friend who caught a Les Paul while fishing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:32 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
cgarges wrote: I've also always been a big Sylvia Massey fan, but I think she's my new hero.
she was the savior of the evening friday night at the fox theater.
I thought the savior of the evening was the guy who finally was successful in ringing out Larry's mic...

...oh, wait, that never happened. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/