12" PB + M-Audio Quattro + Digital Performer 4...workab

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
ma-chan
audio school

12" PB + M-Audio Quattro + Digital Performer 4...workab

Post by ma-chan » Thu May 15, 2003 11:58 am

without going into a whole long dragged out story, is anyone using this setup and having success? is the quattro something worth having or is it just a buggy piece of junk? is DP4 working well for anyone? not working well? why? is there something in the same price range that would work better on a mac running OS 10.2.x?

any info is appreciated.

ottokbre
deaf.

Re: 12" PB + M-Audio Quattro + Digital Performer 4...wo

Post by ottokbre » Thu May 15, 2003 1:46 pm

does'nt the Quattro only convert at 16-bit when all four channels are being used? If your using DP4, maybe MOTU Firwire would be better. I know, it's pricey. But if you have not gotten the G4, mabe the MOTU and a topline iBook instead (the 12" Powerbook is really a silver iBook with the G4) to make up for the added cost of MOTU.
boobs are life's fountain

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alarmo » Thu May 15, 2003 3:15 pm

ottokbre wrote: But if you have not gotten the G4, mabe the MOTU and a topline iBook instead (the 12" Powerbook is really a silver iBook with the G4) to make up for the added cost of MOTU.
Actually, the powerbooks have some significant upgrades over the iBooks, i believe - faster bus speed, DDR memory vs SDRAM, etc. On the other hand, I'm doing fine still recording with my 400mhz G4 tower at home, and either of those notebooks would blow my box out of the water...so go figure.

I *wish* they'd make a firewire quattro-type box (with working drivers). I got all excited seeing the news about the m-audio firewire 410, but it looks like it's only 2in-8out analog with an additional digital pair of in/out. If it was the other way around i'd buy it.... grrr.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu May 15, 2003 7:18 pm

sorry, i don't know how to link to it...but i have a quattro and just "broke it down" in a post on the general board. it's under 'm audio duo' ...

In short, no you can do 24 bit (4 in 2 out) with a max of 48 kHz sample rate.

The drivers stink, in my opinion, but I'm not going to rehash it, 'cause it's hurts to much to talk about. To be fair, the thing has never premempted a recording session or anything, it's just a pain...

kelly

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri May 16, 2003 9:03 am

ok, so the quattro is limited by sample rate, not bit depth. well thats still pretty darn usable. i mean, it's all going to 16/44.1 CD right?

the newer iBooks also have a much faster bus speed and DDR. internally they got a bump when the 700's came out. no doubt the 12" powerbook is the inards of the full powerbook along with the chipset. but the actual case is an iBook, which is why it's plastic. i'm sure it rawkz tho. i like the idea of that little footprint too.
boobs are life's fountain