Mercedes 1981 300TD Wagon and biodiesel

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Don Hearl
audio school

Mercedes 1981 300TD Wagon and biodiesel

Post by Don Hearl » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:00 pm

I enjoyed the review of the new (old) Mercedes, and was particularly interested in your running the car on biodiesel. I work in the biodiesel/ethanol industry and consult to major and small producers alike. This is a very exciting time as the consumer will hopefully have more choices for fuels in the near future. :)

Let me clear up some inaccuracies re: biodiesel. No biodiesel is 99.9% pure vegatable oil. Biodiesel is a mixture of triglyceride containing oil mixed with some alcohol: methanol or ethanol. Typically the ratio of mixture is 100 kg of oil (pressed from soybeans, rapeseeds or animal based oils, etc) + 10 kg methanol, to produce 100 kg of biodiesel and 10 kg of glycerin. This is simplistic, but the general prediction. Biodiesel is actually a methyl ester and has combustion properties equal or better to traditional diesel (i.e. high cetane rating). The great thing about it is that the fuel has excellent lubricity and no sulfur content. This makes it a perfect fuel additive to petroluem diesel (at 2%+). Kudos to you JB, for seeking out the purest biodiesel for your car.

Biodiesel is an extremely good solvent and will attack butyl rubber hoses typically found in automobiles produced beofre 1983. Most folks are ok with stock hoses after '83, but check your car. Viton is the recommened material for hoses in cars running biodiesel. Biodiesel will also clean out a fuel system, so changing the fuel filter after switching to biodiesel is key to prevent plugging.

The chemical additives (if any) are to prevent gelling of the biodiesel in cooler temperatures, not to make the fuel more viscous.

Biodiesel is here to stay. There are currently 81 plant sites in the US, but Europe is way ahead of us.

It was a welcome surprise seeing that review. Im almost as passionate about renewable energy as I am music...ok maybe not, not I DO derive my income from it, so they do say do what you love. good luck!

cheers, don

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:17 am

Wow! I haven't got the magazine yet, but I'm excited to hear about this review, as I've been considering going this route myself, mercedes wagon and all!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:29 am

An old friend did the conversion to a Mercedes about 8 years ago up in Ely, MN. He was all fired up about it, and it was working great, and he got into the local paper to promote the idea, and the local redneck types decided to smash in all his windows one night because they dun like the hippies coming in with their biodiesel. Undaunted, he kept at it. Good guy.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:43 am

Wow.
There's actually a biodiesel/music recording connection here in atlanta - the guy who owns zero return sells the stuff. Pretty crazy, huh?

Don Hearl
audio school

Post by Don Hearl » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:47 am

Funny think about the whole industry...more biodiesel is produced in Texas than any other state (followed by Iowa)...of course they ship it to CA and CO, but I thought that was an interesting tid bit.

Nashville only has one station that I've heard. I know I've got some friends on the east side that would buy biodiesel.

Glad to see the review in TapeOp, and am happy that its causing some discussion.
Regards,

Don

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:52 pm

Am I missing something or are you saying there's a car review in the new TapeOp?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:30 am

yeah i'm glad they had this review instead of something dumb like a new piece of audio gear that people might use in the studio.
remember when it was dangerous?

check out pics of the new welfareline studios
www.myspace.com/thewelfarelinestudio

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:41 am

well... I appreciate the review. and, anyone who doesn't think that a station wagon (or equivalent) is an essential piece of gear, doesn't have much gear to haul around.

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:46 am

it's about as relevant as having an ad for grilled cheese , "because hey, everyone has to eat" in an audio rag.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:55 am

thewelfareline wrote:it's about as relevant as having an ad for grilled cheese , "because hey, everyone has to eat" in an audio rag.
I must've missed your complaints about the PBR ads.

anyway, it's not an ad, it's a review. and, I wouldn't have any problem with a "snacks for the studio" article.

and, I certainly don't have a problem with tapeop taking "political" stands on some issues. it's about fucking time that somebody did. making the discussion of "political" issues some kind of taboo is a big part of how things have gotten so fucked up in the last several years anyway.

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:00 am

i am sorry i meant review, and i had no problems with the PBR ad, as i would not with a car ad, it keeps the magazine priced low. i just would like to keep audio content in the written parts.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:35 pm

Who wrote it? (Man, us East-Coasters get our issues late!)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundofsingles
audio school

biodiesel, etc

Post by soundofsingles » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:46 pm

This is one of the reasons why I read TapeOp! Even though it's grown form being a little 'ziine, it's still Larry, John and crew's rag and they can print whatever they want in it, even a "review" of a Mercedes modded for biodiesel. Keep TapeOp weird!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Re: biodiesel, etc

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:00 pm

soundofsingles wrote:This is one of the reasons why I read TapeOp! Even though it's grown form being a little 'ziine, it's still Larry, John and crew's rag and they can print whatever they want in it, even a "review" of a Mercedes modded for biodiesel. Keep TapeOp weird!
Agreed. I used to devour Thrasher magazines back in the 1980s and it was okay to bump into the various non-skateboarding-related articles. Imagine Thrasher without the Skarfing Material column!

Now the knees hurt, I drive everywhere instead of skateboard, and Tapeop fills the void that used to be occupied by Thrasher. That's just me though.

johnchuckalumba
audio school graduate

Post by johnchuckalumba » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:48 am

hello, great to be seein this stuff come into a music/recording forum, my only concern is that I heard/read that some companies are tearing up forest to plant this stuff a bit like they do with palm oil and soya.
which is obviously to be avoided and makes an nonsense of the whole thing to my mind in the old big picture.
cheers john.