Mercedes 1981 300TD Wagon and biodiesel

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

johnchuckalumba
audio school graduate

Post by johnchuckalumba » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:49 am

hello, great to be seein this stuff come into a music/recording forum, my only concern is that I heard/read that some companies are tearing up forest to plant this stuff a bit like they do with palm oil and soya.
which is obviously to be avoided and makes an nonsense of the whole thing to my mind in the old big picture.
cheers john.

justhitthebutton
gettin' sounds

Post by justhitthebutton » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:37 pm

i think its a great thing to have this reach as many people as possible. and thats not just to say, as many people who would benefit from it. because we could and will all benefit from it.
if youre reaching or stretching for a good analogy or reason why it should be in a recording magazine then here is just ONE thing to think about.
our fuel consumption affects a lot more than just our car. we use oil for more than just our gasoline. we use it for plastics, cleaning chemicals and for electricity. so when run out, then we are going to be seeing some ridiculously expensive electricity bills. running a studio will be insane then. and we are going to run out. oil production peaked worldwide in the 70's and has been on a rapid downslope since then. with our CURRENT amount of consumption, oil will be in very short supply in 40 years. the middle east will control nearly 100% of the US oil demand, set at their prices. the US is currently only able to supply 40% of our demand for oil. germany is nearly completely out of supplies themselves and are buying from russia/siberia. thats why they have plenty of diesels on the market and are releasing a 62mpg volkswagen diesel. with promise of a 157mpg 4 seater from Loremo. these cars will never be in the states because of our overly strict saftey policies.
some day the cost of discovering, drilling, and producing one barrel of oil will cost one barrel. that is the point that energy companies will not be able to operate effectively. we should have had an alternative fuel/energy supply decades ago. maybe if we had, then right now, it wouldnt be so weird that tape op runs a "review".
i am currently about to convert a mercedes diesel to run on pure wvo. this will not be biodiesel, but instead straight waste vegetable oil from restaurants fryers. filtered and heated to use in my car. if anyone is interested, i can give you plenty of contacts, websites, photos, graphs, facts, etc on oil and alternative fuels.
can it really look better than it sounds?

lg
steve albini likes it

Re: Mercedes 1981 300TD Wagon and biodiesel

Post by lg » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:45 am

a few links relative to the rather strong evidence of deforestation associated with palm oil production for biodiesel in maylasia:

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12 ... ssil-fuel/

and some comments, astute and otherwise:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/08/biod ... ng-answer/

not to be a naysayer (i'm actually somewhat optimistic that humans will be able to learn to live within our means before we become extinct), but monbiot does speak to the fact that how we create the energy to do what we do is a pretty dang complex issue, and one that we need to really begin to wrap our collective head around before we end up a footnote (along with just about every other living thing outside of toxic algae and cockroaches) in this shiny orb's future history. now back to the music?

mjl
pluggin' in mics

Post by mjl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:15 am

"oil production peaked worldwide in the 70's and has been on a rapid downslope since then. with our CURRENT amount of consumption, oil will be in very short supply in 40 years. the middle east will control nearly 100% of the US oil demand, set at their prices."
Quick-but-important correction: _U.S._ oil production peaked in the '70s; nobody knows when worldwide oil production will peak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubbert_peak has a decent rundown on the concept of peak oil.

rob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rob » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:17 am

normally i would leave this alone,
but i want to support the tape op crew for putting the review in the mag. in hopes that things like this will continue to happen.
it's a good read. creativity is born from many sources, and i believe the word creative is actually on the cover.
for anybody to complain about the review......
"well that's just dumb"

rob

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:35 am

rob wrote:normally i would leave this alone,
but i want to support the tape op crew for putting the review in the mag. in hopes that things like this will continue to happen.
it's a good read. creativity is born from many sources, and i believe the word creative is actually on the cover.
for anybody to complain about the review......
"well that's just dumb"

rob
i second that for sure. at the very least it got a few people thinking about it that otherwise wouldn't have. and that's got to be a good thing.

jb's article, along with a really great series in the LA Times a few weeks ago-

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/ocean ... 52.special

has actually inspired me to do something about an idea i had years ago, but never got off my lazy butt to initiate (always higher priorities, right?), which is to try to start a local "pesticide-free (and chem. fertilizer-free) zone" in my neighborhood.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:55 am

I just read a chilling article about "peak oil" in Harper's. It's more about the "peak oil" community and their conferences, but well worth reading. It makes Y2K look pretty benign in comparison.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:13 pm

y2k WAS pretty benign.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:50 pm

Right. I mean the pending threat of Y2K, before it happened and nothing happened. I confess to worrying a bit about that Y2K before it came due.