Matt Goldman

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Matt Goldman

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Can we please get an interview with Matt Goldman? That dude is kind of a hero of mine when it comes to producing and engineering. i actually emailed him the other day and he actually responded, (i asked him what he used for drums on the new underoath cd) giving me all details of what he used. i didn't expect it.

i'd like to see his studio, Glow in the Dark studios, in tape op.

thanks people!

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:47 pm

im a fan for sure!!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:39 am

Cyan421 wrote:im a fan for sure!!
sweet! lets get more folks so that he won't go unnoticed in tape op

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Post by nicksense15 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 pm

A band I was once in recorded an EP with him. He lets out of town bands crash on the studio floor when their there which was cool. It was the best experience I?ve ever had in a studio and the record sounded great. To bad the drummer and singer had a huge falling out and we broke up and never really finished it. Matt is a great guy though, very friendly and knowledgeable. Check out the website for his studio if you like at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=25205336

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 am

nicksense15 wrote:A band I was once in recorded an EP with him. He lets out of town bands crash on the studio floor when their there which was cool. It was the best experience I?ve ever had in a studio and the record sounded great. To bad the drummer and singer had a huge falling out and we broke up and never really finished it. Matt is a great guy though, very friendly and knowledgeable. Check out the website for his studio if you like at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=25205336
wow that's awesome! i would think he charges alot..but it doesn't sound that way.

he also has a myspace. haha. but you can find it somewhere on the link above.

dwdrummer
audio school graduate

Post by dwdrummer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:03 am

I would love to see a Matt Goldman article. I know a lot of people who would be interested to read about the new Underoath cd and all the other great ones he has done. Make it happen.

By the way--- what mics did he use on Aaron, im curious?!

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:35 pm

dwdrummer wrote:I would love to see a Matt Goldman article. I know a lot of people who would be interested to read about the new Underoath cd and all the other great ones he has done. Make it happen.

By the way--- what mics did he use on Aaron, im curious?!
this is everything he told me:

"the drums have to sound good to start with, though I'm sure they used some sound replacer in the mix. They almost always do that. But if the overheads don't sound good, you're screwed.

57 on top and bottom snare through a universal audio 2108, sennheiser (sp) 421s on toms, through a presonus m80, overheads U87 modded by Bill Bradley in Nashville through a Manley langevin dual mic-pre, room mics were probably 2 ksm44s or one of those with an AT4050 through a UA 2-610. the kick was a d-112 but I'm not sure of the pre, maybe the presonus. I just got the Presonus ADL600 and the kick sounds huge through that, but I didn't have it then. I'm afraid I need to sell it to pay for some other gear that I have to buy.

I was running a protools HD rig with a 192 and An apogee AD8000. I have since replaced the interfaces with 2 Rosetta 800s.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Listen to the Beatles "

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:53 pm

I got another good reason to interview Matt Goldman.

He's a drummer for his new band Smalltown Poets. And he's engineering all of it at his studio and it sounds amazing.

You could get some insight to his new record and the process of tracking it and playing on it and everything.