Deharmonic Sound Labs - $100 per day - York PA

antilog
george martin

Deharmonic Sound Labs - $100 per day - York PA

Post by antilog » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:39 pm

$100 per day in project studio located in York, PA 10 minutes from I83, central location for Harrisburg, Philly, Baltimore. Friendly to any type of project, including spoken word, avant garde, experimental, jazz, classical, popular music.

Comfortable environment, full kitchen + bathroom.
PC Based DAW, plenty of software, decent mic selection, friendly engineer included.

See www.deharmonic.net for details or email audio.architect@deharmonic.net.

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Re: Deharmonic Sound Labs - $100 per day - York PA

Post by Auxillary » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:46 pm

You want 100$ a day for a couple of behringer pre's and some cheap mics? Why the hell am I not charging 800$ an hour? Not trying to diss you man, Gear or not im sure you can pull off some decent stuff. but wow, people must be stupid to go for that. You could buy your entire studio on ebay for 2 weeks of studio time.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:47 am

Wow. The support for struggling artists on newsgroups is amazing. $100 per day, less for single artists, for up to 12 hours per day + free mixing and mastering on my own time - sounds like a bargain to me. I have the most affordable rates in the area, and can do good work considering the hardware. Besides, the magic is in the artists' fingers, not the brand of equipment; that is the mantra I hear from the wise ones on newsgroups and message boards. Sure you may be able to buy the studio, but people are paying for ME. They can go to the guy 20 minutes away and pay $40 per hour; he may have nice gear, but trust me, he is a pain. This isn't LA or sunny Portland; it's the Deep South of PA. Don't forget that the market - supply + demand - is different everywhere.

"Stupid"? You ARE dissing, at least my customers. They pay and are quite happy with the service and results. Why bother wasting your time dissing me and my studio? Have anything constructive to say?

The culture on these newsgroups and messageboards is unfortunate...

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:20 am

$100 a day is reasonable. If you are confident with your skills, then I say go for it. I think your work should speak for itself.

-James

dennis
gettin' sounds

Post by dennis » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:23 pm

$100 a day is nearly minimum wage is Washinton State. I know a recording engineer in Portland that uses behringer stuff and gets great results. Not Behringer exclusively mind you. I know a few people who rely on Behringer for recording. If your 1/2 decent at squeezing the best of of everything more power to ya. My gear isn't all that much but I charge $35hr and thats pretty cheap by most standards. If your talented at this stuff, sometimes the gear doesn't matter as much. Recording as a biz is a sink or swim situation, learn as you go and pick up better gear along the way. Stating cheap is better than not starting at all.

Peace,
Dennis

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:55 pm

Thanks for the support.

I have been recording in some form for years - radio shack gear as a kid, fostex 4 track in college...

A year ago I was using a radio shack mic into a sound blaster to record myself and my friend. I wanted a better sound and got a great deal on a Delta 1010LT. Added some entry-level gear, and realized I could get a decent sound, so I opened my doors to the public.

I wouldn't mind some better equipment, but I maximize what I have. Plus, I am sure I will appreciate the better equipment when I can afford it.

Gotta go,
Erich

studio2420
audio school

Post by studio2420 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:16 pm

Greetings, Erich. Are your client's happy with the results? Are you happy with the results? That's all that matters. Joe Meek recorded hits back in the 60's building his own equipment and compressors out of surplus electrical parts housed in old tin cans. Equipment is great and it is easy to get caught up in gear-lust but at the end of the day people don't listen to the gear. they listen to the song. As Joe used to say, if it sounds right, it is right!! $100.00 a day is nothing if you are providing a service your client's are happy with.

Regards,

Paul

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:09 am

Yes, they are happy, although I am now SHUTDOWN BY THE MAN! My landlord refused to sign another year lease until I shutdown my "full blown illegal business". Apparently helping open-mic night artists get paying gigs is so illegal he had to shut me down. I had it coming - it was OK for a while, but business really started picking up lately.

That's what I get for getting started in my apartment. I now have to move (my choice) and start back up the "right way": get a legal space in a commercial zone, register the business with the state, etc....

Until I can do that, I am going to build a mobile recording rig to track offsite.

Thanks for your replies.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:56 am

erich-

the night before you have to leave, you have to make sure to have a big ol party at the pad and try to blast the neighbors out, get them all complaining to the landlord, etc.

thats always a fun game.

dave

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:58 am

LOL
I would LOVE to mess with his head, but practically speaking, it is in my best interests to stay on his good side, since he has my security deposit and still likes me (may be able to get a good referral out of him)...

The guy is nutty. "Helps" me by getting my mail for me, accepting and keeping my packages. He was watching people come and go from my apartment... He deceived me about the fact that he lived within spitting distance. Next place I look at, I am asking the landlord where they live.

Man, I can't wait to buy a place...
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:08 pm

Yay! I got moved out, cleaned the hell out of the place, and he calls me saying the place is a mess, that I didn't clean under the oven, the refrigerator, I cracked the tub, which he says is going to cost $1000 to replace. I caught him in some other lies too. I would fight it, but I live in a small town and this guy is nuts, totally not worth the trouble. Worst part is, he f'ed up my clean landlord/tenant history.

drunken piece of sheiss

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:48 pm

I would like to state my apologies. Pure and simply a victim of my own cause.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:04 pm

Auxillary wrote:I would like to state my apologies. Pure and simply a victim of my own cause.
Bah! You know my landlord? Or you ARE my landlord?!

you are anti-me

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:15 pm

Auxillary wrote:You want 100$ a day for a couple of behringer pre's and some cheap mics? Why the hell am I not charging 800$ an hour? Not trying to diss you man, Gear or not im sure you can pull off some decent stuff. but wow, people must be stupid to go for that. You could buy your entire studio on ebay for 2 weeks of studio time.
Auxillary wrote:I would like to state my apologies. Pure and simply a victim of my own cause.
is this what you meant Aux?
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:56 pm

has anyone else here had problems with nutty landlords? makes me want to buy a place