Richard Barone on ACDC vocals....huh????????

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

ccjones
studio intern

Richard Barone on ACDC vocals....huh????????

Post by ccjones » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:35 am

Could anybody please explain in further detail what Richard Barone was talking about in the latest issue. He claims ACDC vocals were recorded out of phase, wothout headphones, whispering. I just cant get my head around this. Has anyone heard of this technique, if so can you explain it? Or maybe Richard was having his way with us?

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:05 am

I've done this and it worked. A trio could only sing together in tune while listening to the music at conversation level and singing quietly. I flipped the phase on one of my speakers (after turning the power amp off, of course), and set up an omni mic pretty much in between the two monitors and had the folks sing. It worked. There was a little of the backing track, but not much more than what you would get from headphones.

Next time I want to try the method where you set up a mic and record someone without headphones, then flip the phase on the mic without moving anything and record another track without the vocals. then at playback, you combine the two channels and the backing track is gone.
not to worry, just keep tracking....