Okay, who uses Acid 6?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Okay, who uses Acid 6?

Post by inverseroom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:04 pm

I'd been mucking about looking for a good DAW...I generally use energyXT, but it isn't optimized (yet) for streaming a lot of audio, and most of my music consists of audio tracks, not MIDI. Anyway, I tested out a bunch of stuff...Live, Tracktion, Sonar, Cubase...I didn't like the workflow of any of them. eXT is so simple, the GUI so spare...it was unbeatable for what I wanted.

Then last night I dl'ed a demo of Acid 6. It seems almost perfect. The audio streaming is glitch-free, the layout is clear, there is nothing fancy about it. It doesn't try to look like hardware. I threw together a project from my rendered eXT audio files in like ten minutes...everything's intuitive, fast, and straightforward.

So, who uses it? This new version is supposedly the first that can really, really do audio recording and sequencing (I DO sequence drums sometimes...), and one would think it wouldn't be so hot at this, first time around. But this doesn't appear to be so, from a day of playing around. I am really excited...I might buy it.

Your experiences, please.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:30 pm

Not to hijack your thread, but, could you tell me about energy XT? I don't know much about it but I wonder why it's so good for midi sequencing?

As far as ACID goes, I used it a lot for multimedia projects, but it's very linear. Nice for arranging stuff but i personally prefer something more pattern-based for composing my own material.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Hey Mr. Lennon,

I actually haven't used Acid 6 (or Acid period, including the drug).
But I've been using Vegas since version 1.0 and assuming that they have similar interfaces as far as standard DAW audio stuff is concerned, I whole heartedly agree with you. I've always been totally in synch with the workflow of Vegas. It makes total sense to me and whenever I've even peeped at a different program I'm immediately lost. From version 1.0 on, I very rarely have had to look at the help menu.

Now that Acid can really do multitracking, I'm thinking about checking it out too. I know my friend Kenseth (Howard Hello, Sleeping People, and others) uses it pretty much exclusively.

My one concern about the Sony products is how they are doing the digital summing. I really don't know if it's up to par with the state-of-the-art. But, I'm usually pretty happy with how my projects come out so it's probably ok.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:37 am

The digital summing is exactly why I'm asking here...I'd like to know how people feel about its sound. And yeah, it IS like Vegas...I've been using the cheap version of Vegas for a while now and as a result I "got" Acid immediately. And I like linearity...I don't use patterns or loops in my stuff...this is why I ignored Acid at first. But it ain't how it used to be.

OK, so...energyXT. It's your typical piano roll, on a clear, comfortable screen, but with superior MIDI routing using clear graphical elements. It was originally just a VST host/chainer, and so this is what is best implemented in the latest version.

Also, it has a very smart, single developer, and a slavishly devoted user base, so problems find solutions quickly.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 am

Like Klangtone, I've been a long time Vegas user (since ver. 3) and I love it. Very intuitive, except for rare occasions when I've gotten into a really complex video production. I never use MIDI except for time code, and with more and more clients asking for video, Vegas seems a perfect match for my setup.

I was, however, intrigued by Acid 6, but it made me wonder if Sony was going to offer any more audio improvements in Vegas. Vegas 7 didn't really add much, in my opinion, to warrant the additional expense to upgrade.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:40 am

Well, I just found a copy in the bookstore at the college where I teach, and I just went and bought that shit right up. Academic pricing!

After a little more experimentation, I was totally sold. Setting up mix busses is insanely easy and clear; so is automating FX parameters.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:45 pm

I own Acid, Cubase and Cake. I use acid for loops, and I love it in general. It has some weaknesses. Cake was my first "pro" midi seq with 3 and I have some upgrades. I still track to, and mix in Q. I'm in a quandry about Saw or Nuendo when I open the studio. Time will tell. A childhood friend/jam buddy with a lot of clout, loves Radar.
mrc

quese
audio school graduate

Post by quese » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:59 pm

hello, first time poster!
i use acid 4, since about 4 years ago. i really like it and i?m really used to it. i tried acid 6 and it looks AWESOME, but it takes too much of my cpu so i?m still sticking with it.
i know a friend, he uses acid 5 (pretty similar to acid 4) and he swears by it. he?s a professional producer and his records sound great. as far as a i know, it?s not very used here, and people kind of prefer tracktion (and the interface looks a lot like acid).
i?d said go for it. it?s ridiculously simple, but works wonders. also, Manitoba / Caribou (indie-idm-folk producer, makes great music!) made everything with only ACID 1.0. really. it sounds great and dirty.

hope that helps.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 pm

My bandmate in this band uses Acid 5, and our album was arranged (and partly tracked) in it. And shit, I love Caribou.

I am still waiting for my music machine to arrive so I can install it and get to work. My wavs are ready, and copious mixing notes...c'mon, UPS!

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:10 pm

"C'mon, UPS...."

If that's the closing line of the second act of a Eugene O'Neill play... you in a heap of trouble, boy.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:52 pm

As usual, I have no idea what you're talking about...but I adore it.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:03 pm

hey IR..

i'm curious as to why you dropped Reaper altogether...all i'm hearing you say about Acid is exactly what i like about Reaper..simplicity above all...stuff is there, it just stays out of the way..i think.. :roll:

why did you abandon the Reaper...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:48 pm

I never used Reaper! I did demo it though, and I think it's pretty cool...there might have been a brief period when I posted about it on here. It's energyXT I abandoned...although I'm not really abandoning it. In its currect incarnation, it's better as a modular MIDI and VST router than it is as an audio multitracker. The latter is supposed to be added in V2, and I got sick of waiting for V2, so I'm gonna mix my album in Acid.

I will probably use them both a lot in the future.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:52 pm

oh..

i thought you had used a lot while it was totally free, i got that impression from that thread a while back.

for 40 bucks i have absolutely nothing to complain about and i'm very happy with it. it's supposed to be the only daw that actually uses 64bit capability...now wether or not my windows is capable of that, i dunno..but i like what i hear there :shock: ..ignorance is bliss lol :shock:

dunno how much acid costs, but fellas looking at it should give this a thought i think.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:15 pm

I don't know if it applies to the current version, but Acid used to have a lot of trouble synching to MIDI clocks. This is a deal-breaker for me. Can you report back on it, please?