Too Much Spam- What to Do?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Too Much Spam- What to Do?

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:58 am

Title says it.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 am

i dont know if i saw it mentioned on this site or another, but if things are changed so that all first posts must be approved by an admin, most bots would never get through.

but, that's easier said than done.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:...ut if things are changed so that all first posts must be approved by an admin, most bots would never get through.
no friggin' way. no one has that much time.

we're upgrading the board. may take some time because it's one person doing it and he's in the middle of some big degree thing...not sure...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:20 am

Hate to say it, but I think a wait between creating an account and being able to post would probably do it. Even a 4-hour delay should take care of it.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:03 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:
thethingwiththestuff wrote:...ut if things are changed so that all first posts must be approved by an admin, most bots would never get through.
I'm not sure if you read the suggestion like I originally did but I think the suggestion is to approve a member's first post on TOMB not a thread's first post.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:30 pm

Rufer wrote:
TapeOpHillary wrote:
I'm not sure if you read the suggestion like I originally did but I think the suggestion is to approve a member's first post on TOMB not a thread's first post.
I like this suggestion, how many new members do we get a day? Couldnt be that hard if all moderators had access to the function.

The spam is getting bad, and lots of it links to trojans.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:37 am

we've already had people post about wanting the post interval time to be shortened. there's no way i'm going to set it to be longer than what it's set to (i think it's one minute). sorry.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:42 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:we've already had people post about wanting the post interval time to be shortened. there's no way i'm going to set it to be longer than what it's set to (i think it's one minute). sorry.
pardon my likely ignorance (i've never moderated a list myself), but i don't think we're talking about the same thing- post interval (how long it takes before i can post to a thread again, right?) vs. a longer delay once a first-time member can be approved to actually post to or start a thread. i can't imagine that would be a big deal to people already on the list. how do other lists manage this issue successfully?

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:59 pm

oh. i don't know if that can be done (setting an interval before a first post).
i just changed it so that i personally have to approve new members.
i can't tell you how many new spammers join the board every day. it's insane.
i may miss an actual human, so hopefully, they will write to me and be like, 'hey, activate my account, lady!'

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks, Hillary! Wow, there's that many? I thought it was maybe a couple a day. So you've been getting most of them all this time? What a chore, eh?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 pm

Thank you Hillary!

I hope it doenst become a huge bother, we do appreciate your work. If there is anything I can do to help (You may not trust me) I will do my best to assist!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 pm

there should be a mod where you can ask people a question automatically.

'an sm-57 is a type of mic_______' simple enough that any human could answer it.

edit: removed akismet link. looks like the dude abandoned the project.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:24 am

anybody belong to another message board that has automated this function and knows how it works so an AH* like hillary (bless her heart) doesn't have to take it on?

*an actual human, not the gear geeking guy (...er, not to imply he's a robot or anything :lol: ).

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:30 pm

syrupcore wrote:there should be a mod where you can ask people a question automatically.
'an sm-57 is a type of mic_______' simple enough that any human could answer it.
good idea, yet hardcore spammers would just google it.

yeah, literally there is an average of one new member per hour. and i'm not exaggerating. so i check my mail after a while and there are 3 or 4.
annoying but easier than finding the spam post later.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:36 pm

Your hard work and diligence are much appreciated. And I'm not being my usual wiseacre self here, I'm serious.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/