Wah pedals

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Wah pedals

Post by SaneMan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm looking to get my first wah pedal and was wondering what any of you use/like/dislike. My obvious choice seems to be a Crybaby, but was wondering what else anyone likes, or if I should just go with the Baby. Also wondering if anyones used the Silver Machine Wah. It's expensive as $*^%, but damn it's pretty.

I play mostly heavy psychodelic somewhat metalish music, but it would by an all around tool for my home studio, which seems to be mostly classic rock & punk. My favorite wah sound ever is the Stooges Fun House(and Raw Power, despite being a different guitarist, though I'm sure Ron still had a lot to do with it in addition to his bass playing).
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 pm

my Tech 21 Killer Wail sounds good to me, and if i turn up my amp i can play melodies using the microphonic feedback! :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mrgreengenes
audio school graduate

Morley Bad Horsie

Post by mrgreengenes » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:18 pm

I stumbled across my Morley Bad Horsie wah on craigslist and picked it up out of curiosity. My favorite thing about it is that it's turned on/off by an optical sensor, so engages just by rocking on the pedal (no need to stomp on/off). The drawback is that you can't leave it on in a fixed position without holding your foot steady, but I find the convenience of auto-on pretty nice, especially in live situations. The sound is nice as well.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:11 am

I've personally never owned a wah, so take that as you will-but if i did, it'd be a Teese, hands down.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:02 am

You have a million options and and you didn't mention budget.

For tons of opinions check out harmony central dot com's forums (effects). There is a search function.

Borrow as many wahs from friends to get a sense what they are like.

If I were in the market for a wah right now I would check out 'buildyourownclone.com' and buy a pre built wah from him. I've had experience with his other pedals and his stuff is top notch, great bang for the buck.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:26 am

i agree you should audition as many as possible, especially if you're new to the effect. but fwiw i love my vox 846 (w/ filmcan inductor).

apropos of nothing:

http://www.wahkazoo.co.uk/

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:01 am

I only have this to contribute: I got a Buddha wah for free. They retail for like over $200 or something ridiculous. I don't think it's any different than a dunlop crybaby that you can get for under $100. Except it's purple.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:27 am

linus wrote:If I were in the market for a wah right now I would check out 'buildyourownclone.com' and buy a pre built wah from him. I've had experience with his other pedals and his stuff is top notch, great bang for the buck.
the pre-built phaser i bought from him (back when he did his own construction) turned out to have a non-functional resonance knob... i sent it back for repair and MUCH later received a bass-heavy turd and it STILL didn't work right!

i. am. not. impressed.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 am

Used vox wah's go cheap on the 'bay, and are quite good, IMO.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:35 am

Used voxes are great. A LOT of people have problems with their crybabys sucking tone even when they're off, but for studio use where you'll only have it plugged in while you're using it they're fine.

Also great are the Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wahs. They look stupid as all hell, and they're ridiculously heavy, but they sound great and don't go for that much used.

-marc goodman

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:36 am

Marcocet wrote:Used voxes are great. A LOT of people have problems with their crybabys sucking tone even when they're off, but for studio use where you'll only have it plugged in while you're using it they're fine.

Also great are the Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wahs. They look stupid as all hell, and they're ridiculously heavy, but they sound great and don't go for that much used.

-marc goodman
Both crybabies i've had have ended up scratchy and dirty. it's been awhile, but from what i remember, the pots are sealed. . .therefore making it impossible to clean.

I love my Fulltone Clyde wah, but that may be beyond your budget.
HWJLHC?

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Thanks marc and mingus for giving me some cons of the crybaby, I love to hear the negative side of things as it seems no one ever mentions them. The Teese & the Fulltone both look really badass, but is more than I was hoping to spend on something that probably won't be seeing a great amount of use. The Tech 21 or the clone look more in my range.

The only one I have access to is a crybaby, which I'll borrow from my friend asap. I should add that I've never used a wah, and it'll probably depend a lot on how much I like playing one whether I get a cheap one or break the bank.

Keep the suggestions coming though, I love reading about new pedals(even though it makes it harder for me to make a decision), and I'll be sure to check out the harmony central site when I get a chance
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:10 pm

My only suggestion is to not buy the Boss V-Wah. Besides the Univibe sound (which is awesome but too slow) I can never get a good sound out of the thing.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 pm

I think the thing about any kind of gear is that you examine as many different types as you can. I've got a Crybaby, a Snarling Dog, a Morley, and a Danelectro fuzz wha thing that looks like a car. They all have different sounds and come in handy at different times.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:02 pm

I love my old Foxx Wa Machine, its covered in purple fuzz and has 4 different filter settings.
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format