Significant others at TapeOpCon

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Significant others at TapeOpCon

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22 pm

I'm girlfriend is contemplating coming along. Is she going to be bored out of her mind hanging at the El Conquistador?

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:14 pm

I've never been but i couldnt get mine to go. Just talking about going bores her to death hahaha
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:26 pm

I brought my girlfriend for the first time last year, this year she is coming back as my wife... She got a little bored while I was geeking out. But I will say that the El Conquistador is AMAZING!!! (if you were there last year, then you know what i mean). And if your girlfriend is in need of some rest and relaxation, then this is a great place for that... The hard part is balancing your time, it's definitely easy to get wrapped up in the moment whether it be going to a workshop, or enjoying the scenery with your girlfriend.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 pm

i'm working on getting my girlfriend to come this year - she seems pretty recpeptive and i think we're gonna go, though upon viewing some footage from last years she's declared, "baby, this looks like a total sausage nerd-fest". (hard to argue...) though hopefully if enough people start bringing thier ladyfriends/wives - it'll be cooler. i think everyone would agree it'd be better to have more female representation there. my gf is a great musician, she's just bored to death with the details of recording. (though strangely she enjoys mastering a lot...) i suppose actually she likes tracking - hates mixing - and likes mastering a lot.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 pm

My wife came to the first year in New Orleans. I doubt she'll come this year. The resort is quite nice and if your lady doesn't need you to have and chill she'll be fine.

Jupiter4Jackie
audio school graduate

Post by Jupiter4Jackie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Perhaps as a beginner she would be interested in joining WAM? She could sit in on a mastering workshop at the conference... Women's Audio Mission does bring in some women, including myself...

And I'd be interested in meeting new people in general... geeks, wifes/gf, or otherwise...

xonlocust wrote:i'm working on getting my girlfriend to come this year - she seems pretty recpeptive and i think we're gonna go, though upon viewing some footage from last years she's declared, "baby, this looks like a total sausage nerd-fest". (hard to argue...) though hopefully if enough people start bringing thier ladyfriends/wives - it'll be cooler. i think everyone would agree it'd be better to have more female representation there. my gf is a great musician, she's just bored to death with the details of recording. (though strangely she enjoys mastering a lot...) i suppose actually she likes tracking - hates mixing - and likes mastering a lot.
"...he reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development." Swim again, please. Backstroke. And he does of course."
- Steve Albini, The Problem With Music

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:52 am

would be absurd for those with wives/gf/etc to meet up at the conference and introduce each other so if our wives/gf/etc can possibly meet some others to hang out with while we are in the workshops?

i was talking with my fiance last night about this and she had said it would have been nice to have another female to hang out with at the pool or wherever while i was off geeking out.

again, there are a lot of things to do at the resort. this year we talked about planning ahead and taking some time to do more together.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:00 pm

bradfromtampa wrote:I brought my girlfriend for the first time last year, this year she is coming back as my wife...
Same here. The resort is really beautiful and my wife really liked the relaxing atmosphere. She did know a couple of the guys there, so she sat with them and made fun of me during the panels I was on. We wound up hanging out for a few extra days and driving around the area, Neither one of us had ever been out there, so it was cool to see. Thanks to John Paterno for the Arizona Desert Museum recommendation.

It seems like there were more significant others at the conference this past year. It also seems like everyone had a good time. Well, maybe everyone except the guy who lost a couple of teeth at the dunk tank during the after party.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:14 pm

cgarges wrote:
bradfromtampa wrote:I brought my girlfriend for the first time last year, this year she is coming back as my wife...
Same here.
Okay, so if I bring my girlfiend this year next year she'll be my wife. The magic of TapeOpCon.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Joel Hamilton just got married, too.

I think the lesson is that if she can put up with that kind of nerd-fest, then she's definitely a keeper.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Jackie is coming with me this year and I'm pretty jazzed about it. We're gonna base our vacation around the 3 days in Tucson. Getting in a day early on Thursday to do some time around town. Then 3 days of the con. We head up to the Grand Canyon on Sunday nite. 3 days there riding mules and shit and then 2 days in Vegas. We'll lose whatever money we have left and fly home the following Thursday. I can't wait.

And Chris... I owe you a beer.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:33 am

cgarges wrote: I think the lesson is that if she can put up with that kind of nerd-fest, then she's definitely a keeper.
these are words of wisdom. i definitely showed my nerd side last year.

we didn't get to make much of a vacation out of it last year, not sure about this year either, but luckily our flight home was delayed and we were able to be "stuck" in vegas for a night.

oh yeah, if any wives / girlfriends / want to do something while we are geeking out, my fiance would definitely love to meet up.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 am

Jupiter 4 Studio wrote:And Chris... I owe you a beer.
I cheerfully accept.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 am

cgarges wrote:Joel Hamilton just got married, too.

I think the lesson is that if she can put up with that kind of nerd-fest, then she's definitely a keeper.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Just get a rental car, so they are not stuck at the conquitador the whole time.
It isnt very fun to walk around from there....like walking down the highway...

In new orleans my gal came with me and also brought a pal... That worked really well.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:31 am

I can't afford tapeop con so i'll just be at the hotel hanging out with the significant others as a cabana boy.