Jim Diamond and The White Stripes

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

lightandmind
pushin' record

Jim Diamond and The White Stripes

Post by lightandmind » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:03 pm

I just wanted to state my dissapointment after eagerly awaiting for my favorite magizine in the world, only to find Jim Diamond's name on the cover. As many of you know, Jim recently lost a lawsuit to The White Stripes after claiming that he had helped in creating their signature sound, (like what a producer is suppose to do). Following the trial, (which was deliberated for only 30 minutes by the jury in the Stripes' favor), I was abit upset that one make such a claim in the first place- and scared that I may work with others who might help with production, only to find later, (after the albums acctually make a profit of coarse), that they may get greedy and threaten to sue. Where was his claim 5 years ago? Jack White could make a record of kazoo solos seem amazing- but I really doubt that Jim Diamond has any real writing or composing ability. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Larry, the Tape Op faculty, or the wonderful labor of love that is the magazine itself, but I figured that after such an unprofesional claim, one's reputation might be abit shattered. Being in an industry that has no-real standard of acceptable business practices, theres no one to govern anyone- so reputation is all we have to go on. I think the Stripes are an amazing band and a breath of fresh air at times, (although you may not), and feel upset when vultures try to take advantage of them, or any other band, after witnessing their success. I can't believe any artists still trust him. If you make your record at "ghetto recorders" for $35 an hour, you'd better hope it doesn't go anywhere!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:27 pm

I heard about this lawsuit through some other folks here in Detroit- but, know none of the actual details.

I can vouch for Jim's character though- great guy. Good musician, great engineer. He's been integral to creating many fine discs here in the Motor City. The Ko & the Knockouts disc speaks for itself. Produced, recorded, mixed and mastered by Jim. I know he played a substantial role in creating a context for her sound.

As for White Stripes, I'm quite sure it was Jack's idea to poorly mimic Robert Plant- unfortunately, that became his style. Jim should try and distance himself from shit like that.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:58 pm

hmmm, then I wonder what could make such a "nice guy" do something so selfish?
Oh yeah, I almost forgot- MONEY. If no-one knew who this band was, I seriously doubt Jim would have tried to sue. I don't think it even matters how much input he had. Even if he created every song and every chord for Jack to play, and engineered every sound in it- Being a producer is just that- producing. Giving ideas, critisism, suggestions, etc. are what their job IS. If every producer sued over their own input on records, no one in their right mind would hire one.

GCMan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GCMan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Jim should stop giving everyone the same drum, vocal, and guitar sound! It's old, it's boring, and it's annoying, like all the White Stripe/Garage wanabee bands in Detroit.

I like these bands, but I can't get behind the sound. The fuzz/Silvertone guitar tone with an octave is getting to be a little overdone.

http://www.myspace.com/thelessmores

http://www.myspace.com/thesingles

http://www.myspace.com/thesights

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Another nod to Jim Diamond being a nice guy. Granted, I haven't seen or talked to him since 1991 but he was a good dude back then, I'm sure nothing much has changed.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

patternagainstuser
alignin' 24-trk

Post by patternagainstuser » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:19 am

I've never met Jim but i work with members and former members of the sights and the singles all the time, as well as a couple other bands he's worked with. From what I hear, he does play a big role in setting the tone of the records he makes (i say tone in a 'vibe' sense, not a literal sense).. I would probably agree that that's why people pay to record with him, and his rights to make money off of that signature sound end there. At least one of my friends who has worked with him in the Singles disagrees to at least some extent, so who knows. All i ever hear is that he's a good dude and that jack white is an asshole. however, that doesn't make him wrong or right. I also have to agree that the 'motor city garage rock' sound is getting boring, and that giving all these great bands the same sound helps the media lump them all together as the same thing, which I know for a fact some of them resent. but hey, we all have our habits, don't we? i like jim's asthetic, and i fancy myself the same kind of 'no bullshit' engineer who doesn't like having to correct drum hits and vocal pitches.. but from what i hear, he'll go as far as discouraging bands from using their own gear, and instead use all his vintage stuff.. that's obviously going to kill what sets each band apart from all the rest. i dunno, food for thought.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:41 am

So we shouldn't interview the guy for the magazine even though he's made some cool records? I guess we can't interview Phil Spector because he shot someone, or Shel Talmy because he extorted the Who making them buy back their first album. I knew about the lawsuit and assumed Jim didn't mention it since the case was coming up.

I've never made an album after signing a contract or specifying points deals. A couple of times that's bit me in the ass. In fact, the only songs I ever worked on that were released by major records I was techincally working for free and made no points on. I'm just lucky that artist was generous to me in other ways. Jim probably did those records for the Stripes for peanuts, and felt like some money was due. A simple contract at the time would have probably been agreeable to all then, and he would have gotten points on thos albums. But no, we're all cool and a contracts a real bummer to drop in someone's lap before a session. So he takes it to court, loses, and people call him an asshole. Hmmm...

Jack Endino has a simple contract that bands sign. If they sell over 30,000 or so copies (I could be off on this number) then he gets points on his production. Why? Well, some band called Nirvana had him produce a record called Bleach once. It's probably the biggest seller he ever worked on and he had no contract and gets no points.

Bottom line to me: You can pass judgement on anyone in any way you wish. I just don't see how that should affect what I put in my magazine.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:25 am

Yes, Larry, yes.

That first post in this thread reads like some sour grapes.

While I haven't been burned by an artist that goes big after I do their record, depending on my gut reaction when agreeing to work with them after hearing demos, I will usually take efforts to put the appropriate contract in place to deal with future contingencies. (see numerous posts on those producer agreements on this site)

I guess the moral of this thread is to seriously consider the future when signing on to produce an artist and 'all that that implies'.

jmosrite
audio school

Post by jmosrite » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:09 pm

I think one of the few records I have made using a Silvertone amp was the first White Stripes record. And as for the octave pedal, I don't recall using that very often. I AM guilty of liking a full snare sound and slap back on the vocals. Anyone who would like to hear all the DIFFERENT sounds I have helped create in my studio (or others) should go to my website www.ghettorecorders.com and there you can download mp3s of over 100 bands I have worked with over the years. Enjoy!
Jim

p.s. Thanks again for the interview, Larry.

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:13 am

jmosrite wrote: Anyone who would like to hear all the DIFFERENT sounds I have helped create in my studio (or others) should go to my website www.ghettorecorders.com and there you can download mp3s of over 100 bands I have worked with over the years. Enjoy!
Jim

p.s. Thanks again for the interview, Larry.
Thanks Jim for all the awesome records!

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:12 pm

In a big way your very right Larry. I certainly understand that I am in no position to pass any real judgement, that's why I didn't want to appear bias in the title of this topic, (like calling it "Jim Diamond is an asshole" or something to that effect), and really just wanted to express my thoughts abit, and see what others had to say in disscussion. My personal conclusion of this matter is that Diamond may have previously made bad business decisions that resulted in him making even-worst legal decisions, but that in no way affects his approch to sound engineering- so I have decided to retract my previous statement of disappointment and continue to support my favorite magizine publication in all the world. Thanks for your input Larry, my judgement can only be equally met and surpassed by it's ability to be changed by the wisedom that only an open mind can provide. - :twisted:

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:14 pm

Just read your post Jim, you do seem like nice guys, sorry to have stepped over my boundry abit, I'm sure I could learn a few things from ya's- Thanks

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Ha - now that I've seen photos, I can be certain.

I remember Jim from college - he was the guitarist in the super-cool garage band at Michigan State, "The Wayouts". Garage rock during the late 80's, when it definitely wasn't popular.

Hey Jim... that old DuKane PA mixer/amp I bought at your garage sale got turned into a really good sounding guitar amp, though I ended up stripping it down to just the power wiring and starting over.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:59 pm

Yeah, I saw the Wayouts a few times IIRC.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

leftoverking
gettin' sounds

thanks jim

Post by leftoverking » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:51 pm

i still have my bantam rooster singles i bought from ya when you played the vista in eureka, ca. thanks for brining the rock.