Can't update profile...?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Can't update profile...?

Post by DryCounty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:33 am

In the interest of following the rules here, I've just clicked on "profile" and see it's asking for my username and password now. However, the password that I use to log in doesn't work. How can I check if my email is correct...?
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:34 am

Happens via Firefox and Safari on Macs, FYI.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:05 am

same experience. safari 2.02 x 10.4.3...

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

password-protected profiles

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:41 am

user: tomb
pass: tomb

what we've done is password-protect the directory that contains the registration page. this keeps out spammers and spambots. it won't keep out humans that can read the dialog box that says "go to tapeop.com for the secret handshake". the username & password are listed in the posting rules.

unfortunately, the only issue with this is that the profile is also in that same directory and adding to it is part of the registration process. so if an existing member wants to update his/her profile, the username & password needs to be entered there as well.

i discussed this with larry & ryan and we all agree it's the best way to handle it.
just in the half-day that it's been implemented, it's already weeded out about 25 new spammers. how do i know this? because usually i get an average of 40 or 50 new board member requests daily and waking up this morning i only had 4 new member requests in my mailbox. all of which were RRE's*

sorry that it's annoying to have to type in the password but i hope you'll understand why having it this way is extremely helpful.

:mrpink: hillary

*RRE = real recording enthusiasts = a term i've been typing way too much lately to make less work for myself in the long run.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 am

I like how this makes us more insular and guildlike. I also really like that RRE term. And it's nice to be spam-free. Thanks for the hard work.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: Can't update profile...?

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:45 am

DryCounty wrote:In the interest of following the rules here, I've just clicked on "profile" and see it's asking for my username and password now. However, the password that I use to log in doesn't work. How can I check if my email is correct...?
ps-and i appreciate that you actually read my post on updating your profile. thank you.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:47 am

for the record, i read it too. it just didn't sink in... :oneeye: