Heil PR-30 dying - Repair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Heil PR-30 dying - Repair

Post by lancebug » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 am

I was getting some sounds a couple days using a PR30 and another mic on a ditorted guitar amp, when I stopped getting signal from the Heil. The amp was loud (an ampeg vl-503), but still only running at about 25% max volume (from a 50 watt dual EL43 tube configuration). I am assuming that the mic couldn't handle the spl's, but this would be the first mic of any kind I have blown with volume. The EV RE10 it was paired with is just fine. Has anyone else had any issues with fragility with the PR30? Also has anyone used the "Heil Hospital" repair service? It is a pricey enough mic to be worth fixing, but I may prioritize sending it in based on what experience you guys have had. Thanks, Lance.

adadan
studio intern

Post by adadan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't own any Heil mics, and I haven't used their repair service, but I did attend an SBE meeting a couple of years back where Bob Heil talked about his new mics and philosophy, and I was favorably impressed.

He made a point to emphasize the fact that he kept all parts for all of his mics continually in stock (unlike many "manufacturers" these days, who import mics from China and often cannot supply repair/replacement parts).

I don't know about Heil's repair service, but I had the impression that someone fairly handy could given them a call, buy replacement parts, and fix a Heil mic without having to send it in. Of course, he was talking to a group of broadcast engineers, most of who have on site repair staff.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt, since it's based on hearsay and I don't have any real experience with your situation.
"There are no prima donnas in engineering."
(Freeman Dyson)

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm

It's unusual for a dynamic mic to be damaged through guitar amp volume. But having said that the best thing to do would be to call Heil. They are very proud of their mics and would be able to help you troubleshoot the mic and would fix it for you if you send it back to them.

They are in Fairview IL
618-257-3000
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have been offline for a few days. I am going to box it up this week and send it on in. I will follow up with how it goes. FYI, I was doing really bad things with the amp and it isn't a complete shock that the heil caved. The EV RE-10 didn't bat an eyelash. That particular mic rules my world.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Hilarious, It is exactly one year later and I just got my PR30 back from Heil today. To their credit, they only had it a week. Fixed it free (put in a new element even) and sent it back. Very, very awesome. On their part, not mine..Thanks Heil!