Pedal harmonizers that work?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Pedal harmonizers that work?

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am

This is obviously more of a live-sound question, but anyone know of a harmonizer that actually works well for live vocals? probably pedal format, but just looking for options so whatever works (although probably needs to be under $300 or so?). I'm aware of a few. I know some will use the guitar signal to "detect" the key, but I've not always seen them work that well.

In my local band, our lead guitarist is moving out of state. he also sang a lot of nice harmony vocals (a lot of 3rd above sorta stuff) and we've been unable to find a new member that is able to do this (which is funny because in Austin EVERYONE plays guitar But I've determined many either A) can't sing, or can't hear harmonies or B) they are lazy and only want to play the same old shite they've been playing for the last 30 years (or more). Can't teach an old dog new tricks...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Pedal harmonizers that work?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 pm

I did a session a bunch of years ago where the singer used the TC Helicon for "backing vocal" parts. I couldn't convince him to just sing the harmony or he couldn't, I don't know. Anyway, in the end I rigged up a second mic to feed the pedal so I could have the clean vocal and harmony on their own channels. It's was....OK. In a live setting it'd probably be fine though I wonder about the weirdness of pitch shifted bleed from the band.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Pedal harmonizers that work?

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm

oh yeah, I'd never use one in the studio - well wait, I did have a singer/songwriter that used one once. it was only for a few things and it sounded ok for what it was. but definitely not what I would have chosen to do... 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com