Getting more tracks dilemma

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Getting more tracks dilemma

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:13 am

I currently have a MOTU 828 that I am using for 8 inputs. I have great preamps (Sytek BB34, Black Lion PR8, PM1000 2 channel) and I want to get MORE channels because right now I am limited to 8, but I have 14 channels of great pres.

Anyway, I also own an Octopre LE and I bought it with the intention of getting it Black Lion modded, but they are no longer modding that unit, so I haven't really ever used it. I DO NOT have the ADAT card for it.

The dilemma to getting more tracks:

Should I ditch the Octopre and try to pick up something that will convert my pres to ADAT so I can get 16 out of my 828 through ADAT or should I just bite the bullet and use the Octopre LE and get an ADAT card for it?!

Part 2:
Can I use the channels on the front of the Octopre to run my preamps through and sort of use it as a preamp DI or will I lose quality running it through the Octopre that way?

Sorry this is kind of complicated and so specific, but anyone with any experience would be appreciated.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Bumpskers....? anyone?

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm

sell the octopre and get a digimax. it has adat i/o and then you can use those for getting your pres into your 828.

i use 2 digimax D8's to bring my ssl alpha vhd, isa428, sytek, and CL 7622's into my daw. all piped in via adat into a firestudio 2626.

rich

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Wow! That is a cool unit...I like how the 1/4inch are totally separate from the pre hookups. That is key. Is there anything like that (Alesis ai3, I know but good luck finding one of those) that is just 1/4inch ins and no pres that does lightpipe?

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

not that i know. the only others that may work are:
sm pro audio ab-8
http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDet ... 9999-06062
and the behringer ada8000
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... edium=feed&

both of which i am willing to bet aren't as feature laden and sound as good as the presonus. BTW, i bypass the pres on my D8's. my outboard pres are happy campers.

rich

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:48 am

I really appreciate the responses. I am checking that Presonus unit out, but I don't see how you can bypass the pres? The 1/4inch are direct outs and the inputs are all XLR?

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:53 am

"bypassing" the pres is running the gain all the way down on the internal pres and controlling the gain from the outboard only.

yes, XLR only. i use TRS to XLR cables for mine and they are via patchbay.
TRS direct outs. this is how i originally ran the d8's before i got the FS 2626.

rich

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:37 am

rty5150 wrote:not that i know. the only others that may work are:
sm pro audio ab-8
http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDet ... 9999-06062
and the behringer ada8000
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... edium=feed&

both of which i am willing to bet aren't as feature laden and sound as good as the presonus. BTW, i bypass the pres on my D8's. my outboard pres are happy campers.

rich
Those are definitely not the ONLY others that will work. There are lots of options for AD converters with ADAT optical outputs.

IF I was you, I'd sell the Presonus and look for a used Frontier Tango 24. Those things are simple and sound great. You can also find affordable (used) 8 channel AD converters from Swissonic and Lucid. Good luck! Lots of options for what you're trying to do!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Check this out:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=241135

Sort of a high price point to be running just as outboard 1/4 inch inputs, but it seems as though the 1/4 ins are not controlled by the volume knobs. Hmmmm

Anyone have experience with one of those?

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:15 pm

LeedyGuy wrote:Check this out:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=241135

Sort of a high price point to be running just as outboard 1/4 inch inputs, but it seems as though the 1/4 ins are not controlled by the volume knobs. Hmmmm

Anyone have experience with one of those?
I have! Nice piece. I like the Focusrite stuff alot. I just replaced the 26 with the Liquid 56 and am really digging it!

Ok, back to the point... On the 26, the 1/4's are switching jacks that over-ride the XLRs, and the line level ins go through the gain controls. All of theirs seem to be this way, but the Liquid 56 doesn't use switching jacks, so you can keep all the xlr's and 1/4's plugged in at the same time and pick the input in software. (But it still goes through the gain controls.)

Another note... I think the Pro 26 has actually been discontinued. Focusrite seems like a pretty reputable company that will continue to write drivers for a while, but it's definitely something to think about if it's gonna be a cornerstone piece of gear. I just recently got burned by another company this way, and I'd hate to see someone else go through that...
insert witty comment here...

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:04 pm

I assume you have an 828MKII? the 828 (mk I) I dont think has adat ins?
you cant get a full 8 channels in on the adat at high sample rate, so if you want 8 more ins you couldjust settle for 44.1/48k.
In that case Symetrix makes a couple boxesthat just turn quarter inch jacks into lightpipe. I do not recall themodel 401? 501? something of that ilk.
It goes for $400 or so new.
I am kind of obsessed with 88.2 sample rate myself so I passed it over.
About the other options. I would chuck that octopre. everyone I know that has one has never been happy with is and lost it in the end.
The Presonus Digimax or Digimax Lt are good. I dont know about the newer cheaper boxes by the same name.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."