Squeeling Tape Deck

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

palinilap
buyin' gear

Squeeling Tape Deck

Post by palinilap » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 am

Just picked up a TEAC 1230, and surprise, surprise, there's some issues...

At first it was doing OK, and recorded this (using Sony ULH back-coated tape probably not ideal for this deck):

http://soundcloud.com/palinilap/tape-deck-test

And then a squeeling started to occur, and the tape started winding down slower and slower.
This is a hi-hat track which demonstrates the squeeling imparting in the audio:

http://soundcloud.com/palinilap/tape-deck-test-hi-hat

Seller said they installed new belts and lubed everything.

My guess is a bad motor, but wanted some other opinions.

EDIT: Also the rewind function doesn't work. Neither does the timer, but I doubt that's related to anything.

Byll
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Byll » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:21 pm

I think you are being victimized by an issue some call 'stiction.' The binder in the tape has become sticky, and it and much of the magnetic material is applying itself to everything in your machine that the tape touches. It is very sticky. You must clean every place in the machine the tape has touched with either denatured alcohol or a proprietary cleaner. The gunk is always visible... Use only a proprietary rubber cleaner on the pinch roller.

Upper level Sony tapes were infamous for having this problem, as were so many others. Our biggest problem has been with Ampex 456. It is possible to 'bake' problem tapes, according to a recipe available on the internet, and it is quite effective. However, this method is only used for getting valuable data from a tape so affected. It will not heal the tape so that it can be used again for general recording.

Bottom line: There is probably nothing wrong with your machine. However, you must clean the heads, capstan, guides, etc. You must then purchase quality new tape, or find old tape unaffected by the condition.

Your symptoms have been experienced by a lot of us old guys who have shelves and shelves of master tapes, and then some client comes to us from the 70s and wishes to have a copy of their mixes. Sounds easy. However, it is not...

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters'

Lisa Diane Cope
1963-1979

Bob Weston
pluggin' in mics

Post by Bob Weston » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Yup. That tape needs to be baked. The machine is fine. Clean it well after playing that sticky tape.

bw

Bob Weston
pluggin' in mics

Post by Bob Weston » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Yup. That tape needs to be baked. The machine is fine. Clean it well after playing that sticky tape.

bw

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Wow, that's actually really good news, desipite the stickiness to clean up.

It makes sense as the start of the reel was unaffected, and the further in the reel I got, the worse it got.

Thanks for the input.

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 pm

what kind of tape is it? some older tapes (like Scotch 175) squeal but don't go sticky. baking will actually make this tape worse, since it's dried out (I think it's a loss of lubricant issue).

These tapes are likely on 7" reels; NEVER BAKE PLASTIC REELS!
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:55 am

donny wrote:what kind of tape is it? some older tapes (like Scotch 175) squeal but don't go sticky. baking will actually make this tape worse, since it's dried out (I think it's a loss of lubricant issue).

These tapes are likely on 7" reels; NEVER BAKE PLASTIC REELS!
It's Sony ULH back-coated tape, apparently known for this.

I've got Ampex 641 on the way, which will rule out other causes if it works ok.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Keep in mind 641 is pretty low quality tape, "voice quality" is how Ampex described it.
Developed in the mid 60's, it has dramatically less dynamic range and HF retentivity compared to modern tape.
Best bet for your TEAC 1230 would be new RMGI LPR 35.
Dominick Costanzo

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Dominick Costanzo wrote:Keep in mind 641 is pretty low quality tape, "voice quality" is how Ampex described it.
Developed in the mid 60's, it has dramatically less dynamic range and HF retentivity compared to modern tape.
Best bet for your TEAC 1230 would be new RMGI LPR 35.
I've heard a lot of differing opinions on this. Some shudder at the thought of using high grade tape, and say the lower grade stuff is better because that's what the machine was biased for, and what the record eq caps are designed to compensate for.

I think I'll end up trying a little bit of everything until discovering what works best, and eventually try out the RMGI and Quantegy 456.

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm

641 will sound cool if you want a '60s type sound. it's also way more stable than most of the tapes that came later.
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

rogersbarton
audio school graduate

Post by rogersbarton » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:52 am

Well at least the machine is not broken. That's great news.