I need protools help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jbstephenson
audio school

I need protools help!

Post by jbstephenson » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:30 am

When I try to record through my mbox, I'm only getting signal in the left channel. It doesn't matter if I'm recording a mono track or a stereo track - I'm not getting any sound in the right channel. The pan knob is set in the middle where it should be, so that's not the problem. Does anybody know what is going on here? Please help.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:56 am

I've never used an mbox... in protools, make sure you're selecting the correct input channels.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: I need protools help!

Post by leigh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:50 pm

jbstephenson wrote:When I try to record through my mbox, I'm only getting signal in the left channel. It doesn't matter if I'm recording a mono track or a stereo track - I'm not getting any sound in the right channel. The pan knob is set in the middle where it should be, so that's not the problem. Does anybody know what is going on here? Please help.
What do you mean, "signal in the left channel"? In the left channel of what? Your headphones while you're playing? Your monitors (or headphones) when you play back a take? The Pro Tools Master Fader?

Leigh

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:37 pm

Hit the mono switch, then you'll hear the one track in both ears.
When you have the blend set all the way to the left you are listening to the signal before it gets to the computer so changes you make to the mixer don't affect the sound. If you set the blend knob all the way to the right, you are listening to the sound that's coming from the computer. Blending these two gives you the mix you want to record with. Remember to mute the channel you are recording to when overdubbing so you don't hear an echo.