A place to bitch about a TapeOp sale gone sour?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

joelmoore
pushin' record

A place to bitch about a TapeOp sale gone sour?

Post by joelmoore » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Is there a proper place to post warnings/heads up about sales that have been arranged on the board but that have gone sour. I know it's rare but I have a complaint that I think folks should be aware of and I don't really know where to put it.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:54 pm

I posted about a TapeOp deal gone sweet here in Buy/Sell/Trade. I made sure to put his username so folks searching would stand a chance of finding it.

In your case I would make VERY sure that everyone's done everything possible to fix it before going public.

good luck
-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:27 pm

Well it seems that I'm going to receive the package that I've paid for but there was some fibbing as to when it was shipped. Basically I'm just waiting longer than the amount of time we agreed upon. I still have yet to inspect what actually arrives. I'm worried though because basically the guy lied about having shipped the item on Friday in the AM. When I hadn't received the UPS tracking number from him at 9pm Monday night I sent a message asking when I would get the tracking #. He then sent a message (playing dumb) saying that he took it to UPS on Saturday and to his surprise they must not have scanned it until Monday at 5pm. He's got the George Bush syndrome. Lie and connive and break stuff on purpose but once it's too late to prevent plead incompetence and claim that incompetence isn't reason enough to be fired. It's the old "easier to get forgiveness than permission" defense.

So basically I've been thinking that the item was in transit since Friday AM when in fact he didn't even ship it until Monday after business hours. So I'm stuck waiting. I don't mind waiting. I'm patient. But I do not like being lied too. And I figure that's grounds enough to let anyone who might do business with this guy know that they should be careful.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:18 pm

I don't know anything at all about your specific case.

But your seller's story does sound possible. It's happened to me. I've personally had packages languish at a UPS ship center for days before actually being picked up by UPS. In one case the manager lied to my face about what was shipped and when.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:I don't know anything at all about your specific case.

But your seller's story does sound possible. It's happened to me. I've personally had packages languish at a UPS ship center for days before actually being picked up by UPS. In one case the manager lied to my face about what was shipped and when.
I've also had this happen to me on more than one occasion.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:24 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:I don't know anything at all about your specific case.

I've also had this happen to me on more than one occasion.
Happend to me with both UPS and FEDEX. One time I dropped off a package at the main FedEx terminal, huge place. Had a small office in the front. I did this on a Friday, didnt get scaned til monday when it got to the next city! They stuck a label on it right there but didnt do tracking there. LOL
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:53 pm

The only thing that still doesn't add up with his story is that I paid him Thursday night, he agreed to ship Friday AM. When the tracking # finally got to me on Monday at 9pm he claimed he dropped off the package on Saturday and that this is why it didn't get scanned until Monday. So no matter what he still told me he was going to drop it off on Friday in the AM but by his own admission he didn't actually do it until Saturday. And of course if he dropped it off on Saturday it wouldn't go into their system until Monday.

Like I said I don't mind waiting the extra day, I just don't want to be lied to about it. He should just have said yeah I dropped it off on Saturday and that's why it didn't get scanned and shipped until Monday. He just tried to play it off and hope that I'd be a chump and let it go. And personally I don't think he even dropped it off until Monday.

Anyway it seems that the general consensus here is to give him the benefit of the doubt so I wont bother to make his identity public. I just know that I wont be buying anything from him again.

I've not ever had a problem buying from TapeOper's. I've actually been very pleased with the transactions that I've had here. This one rubbed me wrong and I thought maybe I should give folks a heads up. But I guess as long my package gets here and everything works I'll just quietly slink away and go back to mixing.
Last edited by joelmoore on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:02 pm

just FYI, most of the UPS and Fedex offices will accept ground packages on Saturday but don't actually ship them until Monday. This seems to be standard procedure. If you were paying for overnight/express shipping , then that's a different story. Those should still go out on a Saturday.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 am

Yes I understand that UPS and the like don't send anything out on the weekends unless it's specially paid for. My main beef here is going unnoticed. The guy said he'd drop it off at UPS on FRIDAY not Saturday. We agreed on Friday because we both understood that nothing happens with shipments on Saturday.

So when he finally gave me the tracking # he revealed that he dropped off the package on Saturday NOT FRIDAY as was agreed upon. He then went on playing dumb about not knowing that UPS doesn't ship out anything on the weekend. Maybe it was an honest mistake but it came off like he didn't do what he said he was going to do and then tried to be coy about it so that I'd let it slide.

I just don't like being lied to. Apparently though most of America doesn't mind...
Last edited by joelmoore on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:32 am

weah. a whole fucking day late. people have lives, i'm sure we have all missed a chance to get to the post office and just dropped it off the next day. if it took him like 2 weeks, then you would have something to bitch about. what was it, a liver transplant?

i think the real lesson is not to tell you a shipping date if anyone of us sell you something so as not to suffer the inter-wrath.

i think broken goods, poor descriptions, EXTREMELY slow shipping, those are all things to get pissed about... one day delay getting a box to UPS? give me a break.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:47 am

weah. a whole fucking day late. people have lives, i'm sure we have all missed a chance to get to the post office and just dropped it off the next day. if it took him like 2 weeks, then you would have something to bitch about. what was it, a liver transplant?

i think the real lesson is not to tell you a shipping date if anyone of us sell you something so as not to suffer the inter-wrath.

i think broken goods, poor descriptions, EXTREMELY slow shipping, those are all things to get pissed about... one day delay getting a box to UPS? give me a break.

john
You would be a wiseass claiming to be from Brooklyn wouldn't you? I bet you're actually from Greenwich or Philly or even Rhode Island. Brown probably.

I've exhibited no wrath. The only wrath on this thread is in your post. You obviously can't read. I said very clearly numerous times: I don't mind waiting. I just don't like being lied to. And I know when I'm being lied to.

Don't worry little buddy, I wont even attempt to buy anything from you.

It's astonishing to me that no one cares about somebody telling a lie. SOP I guess. Call me whatever you want I'll always tell you straight.
Last edited by joelmoore on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalldrums
pluggin' in mics

Post by smalldrums » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:48 am

hmm that stinks to hear, but at least he is in contact with you. the guy i ordered from hasnt returned my calls in 2 months. yeah i got screwed. here is his information. dont ever do business with this motherfucker

Andrew Warner
1170 Chaffer Dr.
Rochester Hills, MI
248-342-6728

ebay seller: seymourglass01.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:04 am

joelmoore wrote:Brown probably.
Because Ivy Leaguers don't make cool Tape Oppers, right?

holidayhell
pluggin' in mics

Re: A place to bitch about a TapeOp sale gone sour?

Post by holidayhell » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:13 am

joelmoore wrote:Is there a proper place to post warnings/heads up about sales that have been arranged on the board but that have gone sour. I know it's rare but I have a complaint that I think folks should be aware of and I don't really know where to put it.
So your whole complaint is that the guy went a day later to UPS? This deal went sour because you felt lied to about the day the package was dropped off? You want to post warnings about this guy ONLY because he was a day late in dropping off the package than what you two supposedly agreed upon?

You should write the messageboard admin to sticky his name so this injustice will never be forgotten. Then have your mommy make you a glass of warm milk before she tucks you in.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:33 am

joelmoore wrote: I bet you're actually from Greenwich or Philly or even Rhode Island. Brown probably.
Don't. Fuck. With. Philly.