My First Mix In The Box

rmx
ass engineer

My First Mix In The Box

Post by rmx » Tue May 20, 2003 5:55 am

This was done on a PT 001 rig on a Mac. Tell me what you guys think? Don't sugar coated either.

http://studio.mp3.com/artist-admin/stud ... class=Song

Peace
Rob

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: My First Mix In The Box

Post by eeldip » Tue May 20, 2003 9:51 am

your link isnt working for me.

rmx
ass engineer

Post by rmx » Wed May 21, 2003 7:29 pm

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 21, 2003 7:41 pm

your serious? on a 001 rig? are you joking?

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 21, 2003 9:56 pm

That sounds great, man. You really did this on a Digi 001 rig? Freakin' wow.

The only thing I would do different (and this is pretty much just personal preference) is try to get a little more growl and definition from the bass. Other than that, nice job!

-mark

rmx
ass engineer

Post by rmx » Thu May 22, 2003 6:02 am

your serious? on a 001 rig? are you joking?
All the tracks were recorded with some pretty high end mics and pres.I spend alot of time moving mics around looking for "sweet spots" The room we recorded in was pretty descent too. I think it all comes down to the players and the arrangement of song. The band was really tight too. If I could change anything in the song it would be to replace those chessy horn syth patches with a real horn section.All in all the band and I are pleased with the result.

Peace
Rob

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Thu May 22, 2003 6:35 am

damn, I'm impressed. sounds pretty good.

The only thing that I would have done differently is put less reverb on the snare (though this might just be genere dependant) and a bit less reverb on the 2 buss, but other than that, will you allow me to fly this in the face of those who are always talking smack about the 001? I'm serious about that.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu May 22, 2003 6:59 am

sounds like something that would be playing from the jukebox in a small billiards bar in Arizona.

You should have a big market in New Jersey also.

Very 80's to my ears

No seriously though is (sounds) very good.... very professional.

nah..... nah nah nah... nah nah nah
-Matthew Macchio$tab

rmx
ass engineer

Post by rmx » Thu May 22, 2003 12:40 pm

Thanks guys
It's the old "shit in shit out" thingy. It took the gtr players about a month to get the gtr/amp combonations together (they were looking for a Stones vibe)I'm "really" proud of gtr sound on this tune.

Peace
Rob

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Thu May 22, 2003 10:12 pm

DAMN DUDE! That recording job kicks ASS.

These guys got their money's worth a hundred times over. They're ready to start burning down clubs all over New England.

They need to hook up with this band from Atlanta, Grayson Manor - http://www.bradcoxrocks.com/. The Missiles are sort of the lightweight Poison to Grayson Manor's heavyweight Crue (although the dude in Grayson Manor can do the Sebastian Bach falsetto wail WAY better than Vince Neil). I caught Grayson Manor by accident at the Star Bar in Atlanta last year and while they crack me up (they are SO serious about time warping to 1985), they're also really f**king good at 80's hair metal (pretty much without the hair though)! So much so, that I actually trudged over to the horrible Steamboat club to catch them at their SXSW showcase in March.

They're playing with freakin' DOKKEN in Tempe Friday night even!

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri May 23, 2003 9:52 am

sounds great, but this is dangerous stuff. not sure what your intended market is, but i would be very careful making this sort of music. it is so polished in every way, that unless you are trying to steer this straight to the mainstream, i would try to add something to the material to make it more... uh i hate to say this... edgy... oh.. i cant believe i said that.

try to head down the "t-rex/slade" road rather than the "poison/dokken" road. i think this sort of walks both roads right now... turn now!

i agree with the turning down the reverb a bit. and i agree you have done wonders with a 001. but seriously- i would go out to the store and buy up a bunch of brittish glam records and head that way...

less reverb, more slap back delay...

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Fri May 30, 2003 6:29 am

Hot tune. I just want to add my voice to the "less reverb" crowd. I've never shied away from beating a dead horse.
Great energy in this song.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri May 30, 2003 2:57 pm

Holy Crap!!! I can't believe it. This is really really really good. If you're not in the business professionally and full-time, there's no hope. The snare sounds great, the vocals sound great, everything sounds great! Good job.[/b]

soulfulstrut
audio school

Post by soulfulstrut » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:00 pm

Hey this does sound great....

I too would personally go more towards T. Rex/Slade/Sweet and cut back on the verb but 80's metal (and New Wave) is definitely making a comeback, at least here in L.A..

How about some details, like mics and pres, compression and delay, mastering, etc.?

Great job there, thanks for sharing.

rmx
ass engineer

Post by rmx » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:28 am

How about some details, like mics and pres, compression and delay, mastering, etc.?

Royer.Neumann,AT,Shure mics
Neve,API pres
Waves gold bundle,Altiverb plugs
Cranesong

The most important thing is the song,arrangement and band maybe not in that order.

Peace
Rob

[/b]