How did you first hear about Tape Op mag/TOMB?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

How did you first hear about Tape Op mag/TOMB?

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 pm

No sense doing a poll here (too many possibilities) - I'm just curious how people end up here - nowadays, a lot of the leads probably come from Google searches for specific items of gear which lead to threads here, but ...

I'll go first: I found a lone copy of Tape Op magazine in the free periodicals rack at a Music Go Round in St. Paul back in 1999 or so. I then got a free subscription and finally wandered over to the TOMB in 2003 or so. Prior to Tape Op I had been learning everything from Sweetwater catalogs, library books, etc.

Others?

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Was hanging out with my ex-girlfriend and her current boyfriend at his place. Picked up a copy off the coffee table and I was hooked.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 pm

Played a gig in Boston with a band whose drummer was the one and only Darron Burke, who was a very early member of the Tape Op family, and we got to talking about recording and he told me that I HAD to go to tapeop.com and subscribe. This was probably '98 or '99, and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I didn't really get into the message board as much until 2001 I think.

Roger

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Late '02/early '03: Got drunk at a party at Larry's house with my friend (and Jackpot! client) Sarah Dougher; I think it was a birthday party for his wife. Then I never spoke with either of them (in person) again!
Alex C. McKenzie

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:59 am

found, perused, liked and bought the Tape Op book at a local used book store in 2003.

got a sub straight away and later the following year registered on TOMB.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:28 am

Saw a copy at the now defunct Shinders magazine store on 8th and Hennepin in Minneapolis.

Just a block from the Tom Waits' infamous "9th and Hennepin"- which has now turned into a swanky boutique hotel from a flophouse.

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by orbb » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:33 am

Phiz wrote:Was hanging out with my ex-girlfriend and her current boyfriend at his place. Picked up a copy off the coffee table and I was hooked.
Not to get off topic, but that sounds like it has an interesting story behind it.

Anyway, found it from the old ProSoundWeb.com at the recpit.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:45 am

I saw the book for sale and fell into the rabbit hole. :shock:
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:50 am

RefD wrote:found, perused, liked and bought the Tape Op book at a local used book store in 2003.

Same.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:06 am

mjau wrote:
RefD wrote:found, perused, liked and bought the Tape Op book at a local used book store in 2003.

Same.
EERIE!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 am

Back in 2000 I took a six-month gig running sound for a cruise ship line that ran cruises from the Straits of Gibraltar to Cape Horn and back. Not a bad gig, wireless mics for 6 singer/actor/dancers in Mickey Mouse/Minnie Mouse/Donald Duck costumes and DAT playback in the afternoon, and a jug band in the evenings. An old Soundcraft 200B board that was similar to the one I'd used in college. You know, the blue and grey one with the red and yellow caps on the knobs. Lots of time off to eat shrimp and flirt with wealthy 55-year-old women. One day, just after leaving port at Punta Arenas, we were beset by pirates. 4 of the actors and I were taken prisoner along with many of the passengers. As fate would have it the pirates had previously captured another cruise ship, one which employed a former member of His Name Is Alive as cruise director. She happened to have a copy of TapeOp #9 (for the Warren Defever article) which I was able to read during our captivity.

Of course, we escaped, by rewiring Minnie and Goofy's wireless mics, which they were still wearing when captured, in order to signal the Chilean Coast Guard. There's more to the story, and it really is quite exciting and fascinating, but the TapeOp thing's really the important part.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:40 am

Sir Dave Scott Stone (solo noise purveyor and guitar augmentator for Melvins, unwound, etc) told me I should check it out. How can you not trust a guy who plays a sheet of metal onstage?

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:22 am

i saw a copy in 98ish? in a music store in madison, and i think it was the issue with butch vig in it - and was so excited to see a "zine" about recording. i had pretty much given up on mix or any other publications and thought of it way more of a punk rock/indie rock underground thing than anything else - just like punk planet or whatever - it actually spoke to the scene i was into or felt part of. maybe 2001/2ish when i hit the early TOMB iterations? the early days of supagreg - numbah one, kompressor, soundguy, bluepixl and other such nonsense.

looks like that was actually issue 11, winter 98/99. been a subscriber since then.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:46 pm

dwlb wrote:Back in 2000 I took a six-month gig running sound for a cruise ship line that ran cruises from the Straits of Gibraltar to Cape Horn and back. Not a bad gig, wireless mics for 6 singer/actor/dancers in Mickey Mouse/Minnie Mouse/Donald Duck costumes and DAT playback in the afternoon, and a jug band in the evenings. An old Soundcraft 200B board that was similar to the one I'd used in college. You know, the blue and grey one with the red and yellow caps on the knobs. Lots of time off to eat shrimp and flirt with wealthy 55-year-old women. One day, just after leaving port at Punta Arenas, we were beset by pirates. 4 of the actors and I were taken prisoner along with many of the passengers. As fate would have it the pirates had previously captured another cruise ship, one which employed a former member of His Name Is Alive as cruise director. She happened to have a copy of TapeOp #9 (for the Warren Defever article) which I was able to read during our captivity.

Of course, we escaped, by rewiring Minnie and Goofy's wireless mics, which they were still wearing when captured, in order to signal the Chilean Coast Guard. There's more to the story, and it really is quite exciting and fascinating, but the TapeOp thing's really the important part.
you had me going until the bit about the Chilean Coast Guard. :D

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:14 pm

In 2001 I was making a record in a studio called Electric Wilburland in Newfield, not far from Ithaca, NY. The first thing I noticed was a Mitch Easter interview. Will the owner told me the subscription was free, which fit my budget nicely. Not to be dramatic, or foolish, but it was a big factor in deciding to move to Portland. Then Larry goes and moves away! Ah well. This town is great.