just a general hello to everyone.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

just a general hello to everyone.

Post by pixeltarian » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:39 pm

I have just been modestly visiting tomb and think I'm going to make more of a habit of it. This is as good of place as any to say hello and give a little info about myself:

It took me 10 years of writing lyrics, melodies, learning guitar, and being a diligently practiced drummer to consider myself counted as a musician. I still feel like I'm tainting the list to add myself to it though. I've used a tons of computer world audio "equipment." and a moderate amount of tangible hardware in these past years as well. I'm in school for audio engineering at the moment and hope to be a sound engineer one day. As you can imagine, given the amount of know how it takes to record something at an expert level, I will probably never consider myself one. I'll see myself always on the path to becoming one. Which is good because an "I've arrived" mentality is sort of stupid when I think about it. But it is a bit discouraging to think about how low-level one can always consider himself to be amongst his peers.

My name is Jeffrey James. I'm 24 and I live in Minneapolis. Music means the world to me and I treat it with care. Expression is my passion, and because there are so many elements that are involved, it could be my only passion. I believe art is expression and creativity. To me, that very idea is at work in all aspects of life. When something is expressed in a way that everyone can understand, and the subject that your expressing is what you hold to be an overlooked truth, I think it can have a tremendous impact on the world at large. Art can change lives, it can show people the way out of difficult places, and it can bring people together as a community. I also think that music is definitely art (or at lest it should be).

So, I'll be the nosy kid asking stupid questions for a while. But I've got some strange areas of expertise as well so I hope to contribute where I can. I've never really been a big part of a message board - I usually use forums as a place to get questions answered, but I think that TOMB will be my first real attempt to give as much help as I receive (which might be a little unbalanced until I get some know-how under my belt. Thanks to all of you that have answered my questions and helped me out. I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning about the crazy world of sound.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 am

welcome aboard!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:04 am

Welcome to the board!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:20 am

Hi Jeffrey

Mark Legat
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark Legat » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Cool man. Maybe you should look into school for it? Musicians Institute, LARS, Full Sail are a few.
RIT 08'

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Good to meet you. Hope you enjoy the message board!

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Welcome aboard...Always good to see a new soul around here...I've always considered myself a musician...I'm just really bad at making any money doing it....
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....