audio school graduate

Post by pan60 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:28 am

so glad i stopped in!
check out pan60.com

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:58 am

Hey,
I want to get a couple 500 series Chandler Germ pres and an API Lunchbox. I've heard there is a problem with the PS on this box with this preamp. Anyone know if their compatible or not. Maybe another brand 6-8 unit box would be better. (I want to be able to expand).
Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
Thanks

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 am

mixedupsteve wrote:Hey,
I want to get a couple 500 series Chandler Germ pres and an API Lunchbox. I've heard there is a problem with the PS on this box with this preamp. Anyone know if their compatible or not. Maybe another brand 6-8 unit box would be better. (I want to be able to expand).
Thanks
I remember reading some posts by the dude from Chandler over at gearslutz about this. IIRC, the API was capable of powering the Germaniums, but there was a significant (something like 10db) increase in the noise floor of the preamps. I also remember him saying that the problem did not exist with the Averill or Purple racks.

Don't take my word as gospel though. I'm relying on my memory here.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
mixedupsteve wrote:Hey,
Thanks
I remember reading some posts by the dude from Chandler over at gearslutz about this. IIRC, the API was capable of powering the Germaniums, but there was a significant (something like 10db) increase in the noise floor of the preamps. I also remember him saying that the problem did not exist with the Averill or Purple racks.

Don't take my word as gospel though. I'm relying on my memory here.
That's what the guys from Mercenary said too. They love the Germanium but recommend the rack unit.
So I bought an API Box and 1 API512, 1 Purple Biz, and a Great river.
Will use them this weekend I hope.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:38 pm

---------9/2009 edit/update-------

Look at all the new features on the latest Pico Compressor revision, the P3500:

Foote Control Systems P3500 500-Series Compressor

I've been playing with a beta unit for a little while, and I agree with the Mercenary copy completely. It's a pretty amazing little box, and builds well on the previous version, which I've had for awhile. Definitely daily users around here.

In the interest of full disclosure, I like the brand so much, they made me a moderator over at the Pico forum.
Last edited by emrr on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

pan60
audio school graduate

Post by pan60 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 pm

i need to give one of the pico comps a try.
check out pan60.com

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Radial Engineering LB Series

Post by pixeltarian » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm not sure if it's on their site yet, but radial is making some pretty useful looking 500 series modules. one is their famous DI and the other is an adjustable phase module.

Radial Engineering LB Series:
http://www.gearwire.com/radial-lbseries-125aes.html
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

Post by FiveFish » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:48 pm

I have a new 500-series Mic Preamp Kit.

SC-1mk500

Photos:

[url=http://www.fivefishstudios.com[/diy]Lunchbox Preamp Kits and DIY Projects... [/url]

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:29 pm

I found this - anyone heard it yet?

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... _info.html

Carnhills in and out and looks like a proprietary opamp design too (i.e., not a 2520 compatible pinout).

and btw, the Fivefish SC-1mk500 has recently found a home on snare drums for me and I'm liking it.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jsteiger
audio school

classicapi.com VP26 500 series mic premaps now available!

Post by jsteiger » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that our fully assembled and tested Classic VP26 Microphone Preamps are now available. They are in the ultra popular 500 series format.

They feature custom Ed Anderson input and output transformers. We have a few different DOA options as well. One key feature is that the base-priced unit sells with no DOA. This gives the user many options and doesn?t make one pay for a DOA if it is just gonna be replaced by a vintage Melville or something!

Stop by and check them out here for more details.

Here are a few pics. Please click to enlarge.

BTW, I have a few units out to some industry friends for their thoughts and opinions. So far, the response has been very good. I have also been in touch with Pan60. I will be sending him a unit for review as soon as he gets caught up a bit. The man has a heckuva lot more going on than most people realize!

Cheers, Jeff
Visit our Internet Store featuring Ed Anderson's replica A*P*I transformers, killer aluminum knobs and more...www.classicapi.com

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey Jeff,

looks pretty nice. and I do have an extra 2520 lying around... hmmm.

Mike
Mike

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:30 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:I found this - anyone heard it yet?

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... _info.html

Carnhills in and out and looks like a proprietary opamp design too (i.e., not a 2520 compatible pinout).

and btw, the Fivefish SC-1mk500 has recently found a home on snare drums for me and I'm liking it.
also, just to follow up on this - I now have pair of these. I wish I could tell you I have one of those pres that starts with N to compare to, but I don't.

I've gotten to try it on snare, low toms, room mic and so far I like it a lot on all of those. I did try the pair on overheads but did not like them there (too many harmonics for cymbals...). I have a pair of A-Designs P1 that I REALLY do like for overheads. I'm hoping to try these on vocals and some guitars eventually too. probably some percussion and kick drum. I will follow up when I do.

btw, the build quality looks really good too. The pot/attenuator are hi quality and feel very nice - I have some Old School Audio pres that sound great too, but the pots are very loosy-goosy feeling and the slightest nudge moves them -- for example I can't even dust them with a swiffer without changing the levels, where as the AML 5003D is solid and they stay put.

And the Carnhills are just monstrous -- I can;t believe they fit on the board but they do. it's a tight fit, but I've had no problem getting them in my VPR500 rack.

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

jsteiger
audio school

Post by jsteiger » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 am

digitaldrummer wrote:Hey Jeff,

looks pretty nice. and I do have an extra 2520 lying around... hmmm.

Mike
Now, that's exactly what I'm talking about! :D

BTW, Colin from Audio Maintenance is about as top shelf as you can get. I have heard fantastic things about his 5003. I am in need of getting at least 1 if not 2, in the near future for my own self.

Best, Jeff
Visit our Internet Store featuring Ed Anderson's replica A*P*I transformers, killer aluminum knobs and more...www.classicapi.com

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:47 am

I also forgot to post this earlier, but I bought one of the FiveFish SC-1mk500 kits back in December '08. I opted for the Cinemag input transformer.

the quality is great and the kit was pretty easy to build, although I had a little trouble with the calibration of the LED meter - it requires a function generator and voltmeter at a minimum - and I did not have the function generator at that time. I should have previewed the instructions more carefully. :oops: Anyway, FiveFish stepped me through an alternate method that got me pretty close and it's been working fine (although the meter may not be calibrated exactly, it's close enough and does not affect the sound).

since I built it, I put it on my snare and it literally has not left that slot. The cinemag imparts a bit of compression that I feel really works on the snare. It also just has a way of making the snare pop through the mix if you need it to. I have tried it on lots of different snares and gotten great results on all. I've compared it to my A-Designs P-1, a Yamaha PM1000, an AML 5003D, OSA MP1c, OSA MP1a - literally everything I have - yet I keep going back to this one. I have several pres with discrete opamps and was a litle skeptical about the THAT and BB ICs in this, but I must say I'm impressed with them.

so it's become my go-to snare pre. Can't say that it would be everyone's favorite but its worth checking out if you have the ability. They would probably also make a pretty good overhead preamp as they seem to be fast and clean (less colored - but still big sounding).

Mike
Mike