My ISP Shut Me Down....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

My ISP Shut Me Down....

Post by playonbrother » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Hey everyone,

Interesting little story. I woke up yesterday morning with an email from a system administrator at my ISP stating that they found files I stored in a folder that "violated the terms of our agreement and the legislation of the United States of America" so my account was frozen, website and email. The files that got me shut down was my bands album! So they wanted copyright proof sent to a p.o. box before they could reactivate my site. Long story short, I had to get my attorney to deal with them which took hours because no one at the ISP knew what they actually needed as proof and he said it probably would have taken quite a bit of time to go through all the channels on my bands end since we are signed to a major label and have a sub publishing deal. Well he got the ISP to simply take the incriminating files down and unfreeze my account but I still can't believe what an ordeal it was. I'm just amazed how they found those mp3's. Makes me feel kind of strange having someone searching around the inner folders of my site. Anyway, just wanted to rant.

Hope all is well and I hope nobody here has to deal with anything like this, it is not fun!

later,

al

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:40 pm

sorry to hear about that, al. it actually scares me alittle to think that someone might be poking around my site considering i've been using it more for FTPing and online storage than anything else lately. hope it get all gets resolved for you.

btw, watched a few of the videos on playonbrother.com, great stuff. what boards are you using there? Kinda look like some older Carvins I've seen. also, do you have those 2 boards feeding one monitoring section or are you just using 1 board on the way in and the other for playback/monitoring/mixing, sorta split console-style?

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:49 pm

What ISP is this?

That sounds like nonsense. I use Verizon, and it's great. I pull 330 GB+ a day with muguito and have been doing so for over a year now and haven't heard a thing. They've yet to read my email either.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:09 pm

playonbrother,

You ought to share your story with the folks at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. They do a lot of legal work towards ensuring that copyright is handled reasonably and realistically in the online world (among other related things). If I recall correctly, one of their founders is John Perry Barlow, lyricist for the Greatful Dead. Here's their website:

http://www.eff.org

I have no affiliation with them.

Hoagie

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Personally, I would never store anything online that is mission critical, especially client's work that needs to be kept propriatary prior to release. There is no such thing as a 100% secure server, and yes if the ISP states in their EULA that copyrighted work is ban from their system you might find your case being thrown out. If I were you I'd talk with the ISP's legal department and get a letter from your record company's legal dept to send to the ISP.

Just my $0.02 - FWIW

73's - Peter Carli

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:27 am

SoulOfJonas wrote:sorry to hear about that, al. it actually scares me alittle to think that someone might be poking around my site considering i've been using it more for FTPing and online storage than anything else lately. hope it get all gets resolved for you.

btw, watched a few of the videos on playonbrother.com, great stuff. what boards are you using there? Kinda look like some older Carvins I've seen. also, do you have those 2 boards feeding one monitoring section or are you just using 1 board on the way in and the other for playback/monitoring/mixing, sorta split console-style?

-JV
hey hey,

so everything has been resolved with no big issues. honestly if i put the tunes up with no names i probably would have been cool. i'm actually going to be switching ISP's from IX Webhosting to mediatemplate.net. my attorney actually suggested switching to these guys as it's really set up for musicians and film makers.

i definitely never put anything up on my site that is mission critical, i just put up my own album. i find it easy these days to simply send a link to people instead of emailing. i'm glad it's been resolved though.

as for the boards, i'm using two tascam M-312B's and they are feeding one monitor section. i actually did a little experiment the other day. i completely bypassed them and went directly into my 2882's. i recut a tune that i tracked and mixed with the 312B's. wow!!!!! there was no comparison, the 312B's sound amazing. so i'm really psyched with them.

anyway, it is true.... there is no such thing as a 100% secure server. i just thought i'd post my experience so others could be aware, it could happen to you.

later,

al

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:13 am

Hey Al,

That sucks but I'm glad you git it resolved! By the way... again, great show in Boulder. You guys tore it up and we had a great time! Next time your in town give a call.
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio