patched up a compressor on my modular

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

patched up a compressor on my modular

Post by Babaluma » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:18 am

after about 5 unsuccessful attempts over the last few years, i finally managed to actually patch up something similar to a compressor on my modular.

the patch goes like this:

10v p/p sound source to be compressed into a multiple

multiple out to a) borg2 audio input b) serge/bananalogue vcs input

vcs out to inverter (i use a serge 3p)

inverter out to borg2 cv input

borg out to amp/mixer/speaker

notes:

1) the sound source needs to be 10v p/p or it won't "kick" the compressor enough, so you will need a preamp after the sound source if it is low level (i first used a bass guitar into the blacet i/o module)

2) the borg2 needs to be set to vca/low pass gate mode, freq. at max and cv in at max (the inverted envelope pulls DOWN the low pass gate)

3) the vcs is acting as an envelope follower, but the beauty of this module is that you have separate control of the attack and release time (which go from microseconds to minutes!), and they are both voltage controllable. i set the attack at minimum first, the decay at maximum, then slowly bring the decay down until i hear the pumping/breathing/obvious compression characteristic i want, then slowly increase the attack until i get the right mix of naturalness and compressed sound. the second beautiful thing is that you can individually set the attack and decay to be linear, logarithmic or exponential for a very wide variety of compression characteristics.

interesting variation: turn the borg2 filter repsonse pot from lp to hp for crazy high pass frequency compression!

i have come across some AMAZING sounds with this patch this evening. i could get great bass guitar compression and heavenly acid lines. i will try it on drums at a later stage.

other things to try:
1) use a wiard boogie or another type of low pass gate for a different sound
2) incorpoate some kind of voltage controlled feedback or feedforward (would need more mults and mixers)

final note:
i first attempted it with a "normal" linear vca instead of the borg 2, and the blacet i/o envelope follower instead of the vcs, but it wasn't nearly as versatile or nice sounding!

i can possibly upload some .mp3's if people are interested.

it ain't gonna beat an 1176, but it sure is fun!
Last edited by Babaluma on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:05 am

I'm kind of surprised nobody has put out a proper compressor module. Very clever solution though!!

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:52 am

Cwejman has a VC compressor in Euro rack format.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:32 am

this diagram might make things easier:

haven't tried the feedback version yet so don't know if it works, but the the feedforward version is REALLY creaming my pants right now, incredibly nice sounding compression, far surpassing my expectations!!!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:06 am

pulse_divider wrote:Cwejman has a VC compressor in Euro rack format.
Hey you're right...expensive though...

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:02 am

Implementing a compressor using analog synth modules is a challenge because the RMS/Peak detector is the critical component. It is what separates the men from the boys. Also the scaling on the VCA has to be right - linear or log response depending on the output scaling of the detector.

Keep in mind that VCAs in certain modulars are NOT hi fidelity VCAs. Moog modulars are known for their distortion from VCF->VCA coupling which is a factor of their fat sound.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:08 am

The Real MC wrote:Implementing a compressor using analog synth modules is a challenge because the RMS/Peak detector is the critical component. It is what separates the men from the boys. Also the scaling on the VCA has to be right - linear or log response depending on the output scaling of the detector.

Keep in mind that VCAs in certain modulars are NOT hi fidelity VCAs. Moog modulars are known for their distortion from VCF->VCA coupling which is a factor of their fat sound.
it's no challenge and it sounds amazing!

the vactrols in the wiard borg filter (acting as a vca/low pass gate) smooth out the response in a really nice way, and i have no idea whether the serge vcs is detecting rms or peak. the important thing, again, is that with a little tweaking it SOUNDS AMAZING! i challenge anyone to try this patch and deny it!

but you're right, when i first tried it with a standard blacet envelope follower and linear vca, it sounded bad. that's why i swapped them out with the above mentioned modules. seriously, try it, it rocks!