MixCritique.com - A New Concept...

mixcritique
audio school graduate

MixCritique.com - A New Concept...

Post by mixcritique » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:45 pm

Bye, bye.
Last edited by mixcritique on Mon May 03, 2004 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: MixCritique.com - An New Concept...

Post by soundguy » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:35 am

does this cost more or less than $35?

dave

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:54 pm

this kind of stuff scares me a little.......i think it may remove the whole idea of expression in music and mixing .....would you correct Neil Youngs harvest moon? what about bands like Godheadsilo or ADD N to X....their "art" relies sometimes on blatant misuse of gear and mixing....this kind of idea could snowball into an "AUTO-MIX" function or something totally silly like that.....i do believe however it's bound to happen....especially when a completely untalented group of individuals and their 'educated' engineer can make a glossy turd with everyone singing in tune (atr-1 thanks!) and playing falsely in time (thanx tempo map)

GRUNT

mixcritique
audio school graduate

Post by mixcritique » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:44 pm

Definitely not a place I want to hang.
Last edited by mixcritique on Mon May 03, 2004 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:06 pm

mixcritique wrote:squizo: Please understand our goal here is not to creat a "generic" mix based on what WE think sounds good; rather to point out potential problems in a mix PRIOR to someone spending hard-earned money on sending it out for mastering. I can't tell you how many times I would have like to get thos stereo acoustic tracks flipped in phase before they came to me on a 2-track. Or having to to get a new "vocal up" or "fx down" mix from the client because it was overkill.
i thought that's what engineers did.
that devil bastard protools

mixcritique
audio school graduate

Post by mixcritique » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:59 am

But, you guys can just stay here and have lots of fun.
Last edited by mixcritique on Mon May 03, 2004 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC

Re: MixCritique.com - A New Concept...

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:54 am

We're not talking about in fringing on artist integrity here. Wann hear some really "lame" panning? Just listen to Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper's. Brilliant works in their day - and we all know the words to those songs no doubt, yet if someone tried to get a label to listen to them today - they would laugh it off! The fidelity wasnt there, the eq was bad, etc., (take another listen).
yeah. um... those EQs on them boards at abbey road sure do suck... those fairchild compressors, too. thank god we have plug-ins... no more of those 'shitty' sounds like on flabby road and dr. pepper's.

please. maybe on the britney spears recording board, people will agree with you.

ampguy might agree with you. he masters WHILE tracking.

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:09 am

I think it's fine for people to offer this kind of service. Imagine if it became possible for eveyone to fix their own cars "easily". Suddenly you'd have all these cars driving around on three wheels, with the antenna in place of the steering wheel... Then some of the older mechanincs might think it a good idea to offer people suggestions on how to do it better.

I'm curious, how is business? How many of these projects do you get per month?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:27 pm

mixcritique wrote:YOU - must be "the man" :worthy:

:rofl:
Dude, I don't want to turn this into another silly argumentative thing here, but do not come to this message board thinking that you are above everyone here just because you have 28 years of experience. That's REALLY not what this board is about. If one of your first posts here is advertising a service that some people in this community find questionable, then let it be. If you hang around here long enough, you will see that people coming out of the gate swinging get blasted pretty quickly. You will also see that there is lots of this type of "service" going on around here for free. People offer critiques here all the time, both publicly and though private messages. If you feel your opinions are valuable enough to charge money for, then ignore someone who doesn't. This sort of thing has gotten WAY out of hand too many times here. I only say this because I've seen it happen a bunch.

This is an interesting community here. There are people asking what kind of mic they should buy for less than $100 and there used to be at least one guy on here who made a record that EVERYONE on this board could sing the words too. There's another guy on here not terribly far from that right now. The easiest way to start something stupid and to not be taken seriously is to outright bash people on this board for their opinions. Trust me.

You seem to be a guy who knows a lot, has lots of experience, and could be quite helpful to the community on this board. I'd love to see you stick around and offer your opinions. Please don't upset a lot of people right off the bat by making enemies. Just try to be open-minded and realize that there's a much wider range of users on this board then on many other boards out there. Please be patient.

Sorry.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:32 pm

chris is right. but i am the man, seriously.

but seriously. this time.

i just kind of feel like the service offered is one an engineer/artist/producer should be doing on their own.. if it sounds a certain way, it's because they got it to... that's just my opinion. i'm sure you've helped fix a bunch of crap and made it loads better. so it's not my space to talk, especially since i have not touched a professional record at all. except what i'm sort of working on now.

i'm 20, so give me time. ;)

i just feel that an engineer's job is to do everything you've said. so maybe you just take people's work who don't know what they're doing, or who totally botched something, or, well. i don't know. is it alright for you to give us an example?

i didn't mean to be mean earlier; it's more my rant that this service has to exist than the fact that you do it.
that devil bastard protools

mixcritique
audio school graduate

Re: Mix-understanding?

Post by mixcritique » Sat May 01, 2004 11:16 pm

...as long as no one tries to intrude on your little world.
Last edited by mixcritique on Mon May 03, 2004 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun May 02, 2004 8:14 am

mike, what would be wrong with releasing a record with stuff totally hard panned like the old beatles stuff. yeah, i've listened to it alot, and yes, i have turned the balance knob back and forth. i think if someone had the vision and balls and mixing ability to make a record sound that good now, people would still love it. it's about the music. no one can mix stuff that way anymore because the songs and musicianship aren't good enough these days. i wasn't trying to come out flaming you, but this isn't the best board to discourage creative engineering on. what if someone read your post, or better yet, used your service, and then 'fixed' a mix that was 'ruined' by hard panning or 'bad eq' and took all the magic out of a potentially brilliant mix, rendering it just as boring as every rock radio mix.

i know, you're not trying to discourage creativity, but maybe you picked a really really bad example of a 'bad' recording.

or maybe it's a nyc-indie/socal-mainstream aesthetic difference.

john

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun May 02, 2004 8:20 am

oh yeah, and the last time i listened to abbey road was yesterday. it's a pretty regular occurance for me.

j

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 02, 2004 6:32 pm

Mike,

I have never been credited as a mastering engineer on an album. I have attended a mastering session AT Abbey Road with someone who was a tape op on that very record. I have also attended mastering sessions here in Charlotte and in Nashville. I have had my work mastered by by well-known engineers in both New York and Los Angeles. Trust me, I am one of the more outspoken people on this board when it comes to having someone professionally master your work.

As someone who's spent twenty years less than you getting paid by people to record their music, I'm not arguing your point or the importance of your opinions. I'm just trying to give you a bit of insight to the type of community that tends to reside on this board. As someone with almost 2200 posts here, though, I've gotta say, this sort of thing tends to get out of hand quickly. Please, don't be that guy.

And having not heard anything that you've done, I can only speculate when I sincerely say, "Keep up the good work!"

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Sun May 02, 2004 10:47 pm

our little world is great!!!