Studios in Alaska

channelfader_fader
audio school graduate

Studios in Alaska

Post by channelfader_fader » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:13 am

Are there any good studios on Alaska and does anybody know if there is a music scene up there??

Engineerintraining

Piotr
tinnitus

Re: Studios in Alaska

Post by Piotr » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:20 pm

Call my good friend Sam Gray at Surreal Studios, in Anchorage. He can tell you all about the Alaska scene.

907-562-3754
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

Jackson Michaels
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Jackson Michaels » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:14 pm

A guy I knew from another message board (which is down right now so I can't get you contact info) has a decent homestudio and runs a label up in Alaska. He's most famous for a noise project called MOZ, he did a soundtrack to a movie and a split record with Thurston Moore, but I can't seem to recall anything else, he's in Anchorage though.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:49 pm

If it's who I think it is you can get in touch with him through his label Maladjusted Records

rich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rich » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:53 pm

i grew up there and have to say it was a pretty bleak place to be if your interested in music. only scenes were a crappy bar, warehouses that 2 guys would open every couple months as all age venues which would be shut down pretty quick, or one legit all age place which i think shut down. ive still got alot of friends there and they all say its still bleak. most kids leave as soon as they can and the people who do live up there arent really there to persue music. its kind of hard only getting to play a few places and having to shell out shitloads of cash if you want to go anywhere else to play. im glad i left, lots more oppourtunity in the contanental states.

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:54 am

...I too grew up in Alaska; The Anchorage scene seems pretty stable, if small. Probably the biggest local band out of there is The Roman Candles, powerpoppy stuff. Anchorage / Palmer / mat-su valley has a few decent studios.
Fairbanks on the other hand is just a little too small to reach critical mass. Great, supportive scene, but very few of the bands / artists are interested in persuing their music seriously. The biggest studios up there would be Phase Two (HDR, I think) and 10th Planet Recording (24 track ADAT). As far as venues go, there's a few bars, lots of coffee shops and a few guerilla shows every month or so. Oh, and plenty of jam bands and solo folk singers. =) A good site about the Fbx music scene is the Alaska Independent's Party, a local radio show by my friend HB.
Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic little city, but music-wise, there's not much in the way of opportunities. Seattle suits me much better.

Peace,
A