RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Classic Recordings Series
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgarges
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

So, I'm working on compiling some information about some specific recordings that I can find from people involved in those recordings. I thought this might be of interest to some of you. I think the way to best format it would be to make this introductory thread a sticky with links to the topics themselves. For the time being, I'm going to lock the individual topics, as they'll just be a source of information, but any discussion can happen here. It'll also give me a chance to sort of test things out and get some of the first few in order.

I have several that I'm working on, but putting them together is really time-consuming, so please be patient with me.

I'm totally open to suggestions about how to organize this stuff and what to cover, but don't ask me to find stuff on a specific recording if you don't have somewhere for me to start. Also, please feel free to compile some stuff on your own and submit it to me to add to the list of links here, but please make sure that any information about a particular recording comes from someone who was directly involved. I'd rather not have this be a speculation thread, but as close to factual information as possible.

So, the first topic will be ZZ Top because I found a bunch of great stuff about their recordings.

There's also some interesting stuff about the early REM recordings here.

I'm working on some good Police stuff and AC/DC, too.

Is anyone interested in this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Last edited by cgarges on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

Great stuff, Chris! Fascinating info.

I do wish he would talk about the vocal phasing...that's always been one of my things about ZZ Top. Not that I don't love the way the vocal sounds, I just wonder why so many of Gibbons' vocals are flanged/phased/otherwise messed with.

Seems one can read between lines about Frank Beard though...

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

I'm definitely interested in the AC/DC and ZZtop stuff. I read somewhere that Bon Scott sang in an almost whisper quiet voice, and used a bunch of compression to make his voice sound like a scream -- can't remember where I heard it, maybe here. If it's true, it sure would be a case of using the studio to create a larger than life effect. The police are kind of pussies, but I'd still be interested in their shit, but not as much. I'd also be interested in Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Henrdrix, Judas Priest, etc.
cgarges wrote:
So, I'm working on compiling some information about some specific recordings that I can find from people involved in those recordings. I thought this might be of interest to some of you. I think the way to best format it would be to make this introductory thread a sticky with links to the topics themselves. For the time being, I'm going to lock the individual topics, as they'll just be a source of information, but any discussion can happen here. It'll also give me a chance to sort of test things out and get some of the first few in order.

I have several that I'm working on, but putting them together is really time-consuming, so please be patient with me.

I'm totally open to suggestions about how to organize this stuff and what to cover, but don't ask me to find stuff on a specific recording if you don't have somewhere for me to start. Also, please feel free to compile some stuff on your own and submit it to me to add to the list of links here, but please make sure that any information about a particular recording comes from someone who was directly involved. I'd rather not have this be a speculation thread, but as close to factual information as possible.

So, the first topic will be ZZ Top because I found a bunch of great stuff about their recordings.

There's also some interesting stuff about the early REM recordings here.

I'm working on some good Police stuff and AC/DC, too.

Is anyone interested in this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

Probably because he can't sing very well. I also think they're detuned alot of the time.
dwlb wrote:
Great stuff, Chris! Fascinating info.

I do wish he would talk about the vocal phasing...that's always been one of my things about ZZ Top. Not that I don't love the way the vocal sounds, I just wonder why so many of Gibbons' vocals are flanged/phased/otherwise messed with.

Seems one can read between lines about Frank Beard though...
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

Also, Chris, feel free to post as much about the Police as you like, they're badass.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
cgarges
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

Alex Netick wrote:
I'm definitely interested in the AC/DC and ZZtop stuff. I read somewhere that Bon Scott sang in an almost whisper quiet voice, and used a bunch of compression to make his voice sound like a scream -- can't remember where I heard it, maybe here. If it's true, it sure would be a case of using the studio to create a larger than life effect. The police are kind of pussies, but I'd still be interested in their shit, but not as much. I'd also be interested in Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Henrdrix, Judas Priest, etc.

This is exactly what I was talking about above. Provide me with some places to find information from people who worked with Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Henrdrix, Judas Priest, etc. (or do it yourself) and it'll make it up here. Also, please refrain from comments like "The police are kind of pussies," because it has absolutely no relevance to the subject at hand.

Again, the idea here is to provide a source of information. If you want to discuss whether or not you like a particular artist, feel free to start a new thread about it.

As for now, please just use this thread to discuss the idea I'm proposing.

Thanks.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

but dude, sting never, EVER, rode a motorcycle with an airbrushed wizard riding a dragon on the side, so he is obviously a pussy...

whatever, you and your 'good musicians' and 'broad taste' and 'open mind'... pfft... hippy.

*does doughnuts around you on my harley and then speeds off into the night listening to Holy Diver with an army of little demons flying behind my iron horse of doom*

john

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/
Smitty
tinnitus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

i for one have often found myself wishing that such a resource existed to a greater extent than it does.

very excited to read what comes of this.
BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

I've posted this on the TOMB before - there's a GREAT website with a bunch of rolling stones recording info: http://www.timeisonourside.com/index2.html - scroll down to 'TrackTalk,' organized chronologically with lots of great quotes from Keef an' Mick.
cgarges
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

Thanks, BandyLou! That's a totally helpful resource. Perhaps not as technically informative as what I'm trying to put together, but useful on the master list. I'll be sure to include it as a resource. Thanks!

Anyone else?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
mjau
genitals didn't survive the freeze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

I don't really have much to contribute, but I'd love to hear some details from Marc Rubel about recording Hum. Those are some of my most favorite records.
cgarges
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

You know Mark. Put it together.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
mjau
genitals didn't survive the freeze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

My interview with Mark would be like that old Chris Farley skit on SNL where he interviews famous people:
"So, um, you know those records you did with Hum? Well, um, THEY WERE AWESOME!"

Yeah, I'll dig around and see what's already out there, and figure out some good questions.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

Here is some Nirvana stuff, not a lot.

The Led Zepplin Faq is here.
drumsound
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Recordings Series Reply with quote

mjau wrote:
cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

My interview with Mark would be like that old Chris Farley skit on SNL where he interviews famous people:
"So, um, you know those records you did with Hum? Well, um, THEY WERE AWESOME!"

Yeah, I'll dig around and see what's already out there, and figure out some good questions.

I'm gonna see Mark Friday. I'll mention it to him. Maybe you could do a little on-line interview that Chris could post here as a sticky.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: