Are You Happy??

swingdoc
tinnitus

Are You Happy??

Post by swingdoc » Wed May 21, 2003 11:14 pm

Thought this would be quite the intriguing question for TapeOp fodder.
Life, realtionships, religion, recording, music, money......

I'm feeling a bit existential right now.

markpar
george martin

Re: Are You Happy??

Post by markpar » Wed May 21, 2003 11:18 pm

Happiness comes and goes, it's a variable thing. I think it unrealistic to expect to be happy all the time. I find contentment to be a much more stable state of being. Am I content? Yeah, I am. I still desire to learn and better myself, but I am content with where I am at this moment.

-mark

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu May 22, 2003 12:11 am

Never and Always

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Thu May 22, 2003 1:20 am

In all things be honest. Even with yourself. So, am I happy? Maybe not, but I have hope. And hope, not in myself.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu May 22, 2003 4:17 am

Exqueeze me?!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu May 22, 2003 5:06 am

I'm with Sky: always and never. I have a good family, a good job, and an ass-whuppin' hobby, and so I'm happy--but you can't squelch your dissatisfaction, it's what makes you grow and change, especially if you're in the business of making music. Dissatisfaction fuels creative expression. Yin-yang and all that.

May I always have to force myself to be dissatisfied!

John.

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Thu May 22, 2003 5:46 am

even with all the things i have going for myself, i am unhappy. i have the problem of holding the weight of the world on my shoulders. i try to believe i am chosing the right path for my life, and stay true to my brothers.

k
its on like donkey kong!!!!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu May 22, 2003 9:46 am

i have great joy and peace in life. i'm happier than most people i know my age, and in fact most people i see everyday. i don't know what their deal is. i know, sure, i can be sad sometimes, and i realize this world can totally suck... but i love being happy and laughing at myself :D

my personal advice to live a happier life:
be joyful always, don't complain, seek truth & be honest, swallow your pride, laugh at yourself and your mistakes, don't go on stupid diets-- enjoy food and various types of cuisines, travel & go on road trips, play more video games, skip straight to the comics in a newspaper, and always laugh and play with little kids like everything they say is the most hilarious thing ever. you'll live longer and happier, ya heard~!

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Thu May 22, 2003 10:17 am

sometimes.
Sometimes when I am happy I'm too busy or tired to notice, and same thing with not being happy.
I guess I'm more busy and tired than anything else.

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Thu May 22, 2003 10:25 am

i think i'm very manic. yesterday i was very happy, because i had a good cup of coffee, and came up with a new song, and watched law and order. And today i'm miserable, because my coffee tasted like mud, my shoelaces broke (so i'm walking around like I just got out of jail.), and i have some shitty song stuck in my head.

For me...the smallest things can make your day, or send it spiralling.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

cbcmusic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cbcmusic » Thu May 22, 2003 10:26 am

I'm like most others here. I'm happy and upset at the same time. It's an equilibrium type of thing, like ying & yang (I know it was mentioned earlier). When something that has been bothering you turns for the better, something else in life turns a little for the worse (in a manner of speaking). At least it seems so for me.

My job is both good and bad. I recently moved and that's good and bad. I got a new (to me) car and it's both good and bad.

One thing I've learned though, is to think of the good things when you're feeling bummed out, kind of helps put things in perspective and that you being upset has everything to do with you and nothing to do with anybody or anything else.

Life sure is weird, but there is a balance. :wink:
cbc

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu May 22, 2003 1:48 pm

This quote from Annie Hall sums it up for me:
"I feel that life is divided up into two categories; the horribe and the miserable. The horrible would be like the terminal cases, the blind, the crippled. I don't know how they get through life, it amazes me. The miserable would be everyone else. So when you go through life, you should be thankful because you're very lucky to be miserable."

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu May 22, 2003 3:35 pm

I'll be happy when I get that new microphone that makes my life complete.

Honestly though, this stuff makes me happy. I love audio and recording. Hell, I spend all day and all night either working on it or thinking about working on it. Maybe I just need a girlfriend - damn these small towns. But how often can you turn a passion into a career, the true definition of the word 'vocation'. Could I be happier - of course and that's why I visit this site to answer questions and help other folks along - making other people happy can do wonders.

-Jeremy

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu May 22, 2003 3:39 pm

Of course I am still searching for the perfect chicken wing.

I gave up the search for the perfect cheesburger because everytime I thought I had it, my tastes would change.

Wings are still a possibility.

-Jeremy

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu May 22, 2003 4:43 pm

Professor wrote:Of course I am still searching for the perfect chicken wing.

I gave up the search for the perfect cheesburger because everytime I thought I had it, my tastes would change.

Wings are still a possibility.

-Jeremy
i'm right here baby!

oh, did i mention?... my last name is wing :) we always joke, my dad wanted to give me the first name chicken. thankfully the jerk didn't ;)