Not comfortable posting here anymore...

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Not comfortable posting here anymore...

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:12 am

It doesn't feel like a group of enthuastic people sharing ideas anymore. It feels more like a clique, complete with high-status members, low-status members, and an expected attitude. I dunno, I just feel out of step, like anything I would add will be ignored because it's not in agreement with the groupmind.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 am

Sorry to hear you feel that way, Knights. In my opinion, threads occassionally veer into fraternity big-boy cock-fights but not very often. I mean there are a bunch of members who's posts I tend to skip over for a number of reasons - cockiness, spitefulness, general a$$hole tone, whatever - but overall I'd say there's a pretty good vibe on this board.

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:14 am

Dude, you can't leave. You have one of my favorite names on the board.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:34 am

Sorry you feel that way. No board is perfect, but I always felt this was the friendliest one around. Several boards I use to frequent have went down hill, and I guess I have done the same thing, except I didnt make an exit statement. Sometimes I wonder if any board keeps stats on turnover of members, or if any of the boards really care. Ppl always come and go.

None of us are perfect, I guess I have learned who to ignore here, and others have learned to put up with me, maybe, sorta...
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 am

mjau wrote:Dude, you can't leave. You have one of my favorite names on the board.
+1

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 am

I don't completely disagree with you, Knights. I feel some clique-y-ness around here, too, although I think it's MUCH less intense than any other board I've been on. The really funny thing is that as much as I feel more on the outside or maybe on the fringe, I've always seen you (Knights) as one of the "in" people!

Just goes to show how weird and varied our perceptions can be.

I say stay, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I was thinking of removing myself (at least for a while) so I actually get some work done instead of reading and posting all day. :)

Todd Wilcox

PS, +1 on the name. It's the funniest joke that I can't tell anyone cause they won't get it.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:54 am

It may seem clique-y because people have actually met and know each other in real life. Gear snobbery and tastes come across, to me, as people who are passionate about their field. And I still learn new stuff on this board every week...weird mic techniques, etc...lots of creative people on this board.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:54 am

GooberNumber9 wrote:PS, +1 on the name. It's the funniest joke that I can't tell anyone cause they won't get it.
OK guess Im lost. I always thought it was a Monty Python thing:

Ka-nig-its who saye NEE-v

I often feel like an outsider here as well, but heck, who am I anywhoo. I always thought you were more of an insider than myself as well! lol
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:01 am

RodC wrote:I always thought you were more of an insider than myself as well! lol
There seem to be a repsectful, decent, helpful group of insiders, always thought of both of you among that number... also feel that I can kill most threads with an uninsightful post from outside the walls of relevancy and damn the torpedoes (or silence) anyway... funny thing, boards are...

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: Not comfortable posting here anymore...

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:36 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote: It feels more like a clique, complete with high-status members, low-status members, and an expected attitude.
That's an interesting interpretation. I just found myself getting addicted to this board over the winter, as I realized it's a good way of killing time while waiting for clients to show up, doing mundane studio tasks, and because I sometimes find it difficult to drag myself out of the house during these cold dark months and be social in a genuine way.

I think what you see as clique-ism is just the fact that some people on this board have gone out of their way to get to know eachother because they're so genuinely enthusiastic about sharing thoughts and ideas. I see a lot of posts from people who I've met once or twice or am friendly with in real life. I always go out of my way to say hello or address them by name to show I think of them as a human being instead of an anonymous screen-name without feelings. I think it's a decent way to behave and you see a lot of that around here.

I'm constantly seeing threads where people say something along the lines of "Hi Dave, I haven't talked to you in a while, wanna grab a a drink sometime?" or "Hey Joe, is your band playing out anytime soon? Make sure you let me know". That kind of stuff isn't necessarily clique-ish, and the people in question aren't necessarily like-minded or the best of friends.... they're just being decent to one another, or trying to remember to step away from the keyboard and hang out now and then!

As far as 'high status' and low status members, I can only think of one poster who is treated like a 'low status member' due to his seemingly un-cureable prickly-ness. High status members? Well I instantly give Joel Hamilton's opinions the benefit of the doubt, as he's a hardworking, passionate, established engineer with good taste. I've found our other main moderators Tony and Chris to be consistently reliable sources of information and seemingly decent guys as well. There are several other posters who tend to get the benefit of the doubt because they've worked on records people like, or because they've proven themselves to be apparently decent, thoughtful people over time. Who's advice you decide to trust is a personal choice. Just because someone posts a lot, or seems to be respected by others doesn't have to mean much to you. Sometimes it's best to take everyone's words with a grain of salt.

The only thing that I see that's evidence of a hive-like group mind is the fact that people are generally a little more civil here than they are on the big anonymous boards like GS. Sometimes it feels like the TOMB is an actual community, a little interweb neighborhood the crosses out into the real world. Hell man. That kinda warms by damn heart.

But people have differences of opinion all the time. Personally, I have trouble agreeing with anybody for long stretches of time... especially my best friends and family! I've never been part of a clique in my life, and I wouldn't be here if I thought the TOMB was a clique-ish place.

Well, Mr. Knights, I'd hate to see you go. Your individual perspective and presence as an human being will be missed.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:43 am

fossiltooth wrote:I think what you interpret as clique-ism is the fact that some people on this board have gone out of their way to get to know eachother because they're so genuinely enthusiastic about sharing thoughts and ideas.
True. I've met a handful to TOMBers and they've all been really great. I mean, who else can you put back beers with while waxing poetic on the merits of Owens Corning 703?
Last edited by mjau on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 am

RodC wrote:
GooberNumber9 wrote:PS, +1 on the name. It's the funniest joke that I can't tell anyone cause they won't get it.
OK guess Im lost. I always thought it was a Monty Python thing:

Ka-nig-its who saye NEE-v
Yeah, most of my friends would get the Monty Python part, just not the "Neve" part. Even my audio friends are pretty gear-clueless and might not have even heard of Neve or API. Actually, I know a couple other people on this board in real life, I'm sure they get it, it's just that I hardly talk to them because they never e-mail or call me or come to any of my band's shows (hint hint). :)

Todd Wilcox

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:52 am

You will be missed. I always considered you to be a solid member of this community, as I see your name pop up weekly and you always have something positive to contribute.

I still think that this board is the best around. Bee's knees.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:11 am

It's OK to take a break from the board.... sometimes that's the best medicine. An occasional media or posting diet works wonders.

Speaking of breaks- I just saw my first bobbydj post in months yesterday- made my day!

I'm just waiting for Thom f***** Yorke. Or Supagreg.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:15 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:I just feel out of step, like anything I would add will be ignored because it's blah blah blah blah blah whatever.
:)