What do you like about this board? What would you change?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

What do you like about this board? What would you change?

Post by percussion boy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Hey folks . . .

The thread about Knights leaving got me thinking about pros & cons of this board -- what would you change? what would you keep?

Here's mines:

PROS:
The quality of the community and moderating is pretty damn civilized for the internet, 98% of the time. People are really generous with their knowledge.

CONS:
I wish we attracted a broader spectrum of the recording community. We don't seem to get many pros, although the ones we get bring a lot. We don't seem to get self-recorders whose focus is outside the pop thing (e.g, not many hiphoppers here). I'm not sure how to change these issues.

We collectively tend to drive company reps into the burning windmill, at the least hint they might be trying to sell us stuff. This is too bad, because sometimes company reps know things, particularly about their current and legacy products. Too bad we're too cool to talk to them.
-----
Anyway, what do you all like/dislike?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 pm

I agree about the narrowish musical focus. Too many people assuming the only music anyone's recording is 2 guitars/bass/drums or some slight variation thereof.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:17 am

I like the colors ..brown with yellow and red highlights. And the name "Tape Op". Complaints, none.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:12 am

A better search function would be great.

In addition to making life easier for those who already use the board, I think it would also attract more new users.

That said, I like that it's a fairly small forum.

I think it helps keep things cordial.

...oh yeah, and I'd like to see that "fossiltooth" guy make fewer posts.

What a jerkweed.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:25 am

Two things (and I aim that at myself as well):

1) More participation and action in the "Listen to my music" section. I really like hearing what people are doing, how they are doing it, and thoughts/ideas/advice about how to do it better. I'm on the musician side of things and those "case studies" are easy to learn from

2) A little more about compositional process. However, I recognize that that's kind of not the purpose of TapeOp, so I'm cool with that not being a topic around here.

But those are minor. I think this board is aces.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 am

I love it here. I've been on forums daily since 1999 and this is the best one on any subject that I've been on. Certainly the other audio forums have more personality problems, in my opinion.

In some ways there is a lack of "Pros", but I like having a few, polite, engaged people who have a lot of experience like Joel Hamilton on the board. Yeah there might be a board out there where you can see posts by George Massenburg, but he is rarely as helpful as Joel and and Chris and the other old hats around here.

My absolute favorite thing about TOMB is that the "price point" of this board is right for me. Other places don't have nearly as much information about quality gear at budget prices. Oktavamod, Black Lion Audio, and the EH 12AY7 pre spring to mind right away, and we have people like Mr. Joly and Matt (right?) from BLA posting here. I'd rather hear from them about their products than from George Massenburg about GML stuff that I might never even see in my lifetime, much less buy for myself.

I'll go +1 on the search feature being a downside, but I've read somewhere that it would not be possible without a lot more cash available for hosting or something like that. There's a whole thread about it and if I remember Hillary pretty much spells out that there's not much that can be done right now.

Anyway, I love it here.

Todd Wilcox

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by NarxistDan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:56 am

We don't seem to get self-recorders whose focus is outside the pop thing (e.g, not many hiphoppers here).
I'm an emcee first, hip-hop producer/beatmaker second, and engineer third. I'm brand spankin' ass new here and I think it's awesome. I've never in my life been a part of anything remotely like an online community nor read messageboards because it all seemed like a huge waste of time. Started reading gearslutz recently but quickly got through what seemed useful (pretty much just the tchad blake Q and A). Noticed this board just browsing around the TapeOp site and must say it seems pretty cool. Still a huge waste of time though, :roll: . Kind of agree about the drums/bass/gtr groupthink but I kind of expected that in a TapeOp board and it doesn't bother me a bit. Better a little narrow than the level of discourse in the hip-hop forum on gs.

btw, I know I'm not the only hip-hop game in town. In fact I do believe there's a rather awesome beatsmith you've heard of haunting the DIY board, but keep it on the dl.

I'm quite stoked to have found this place and would expect no less from the fine folks who bring us TapeOp.
Rehearse More
Edit Less

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

board comment

Post by billkahler » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:15 pm

I'd like to see an easier to read font ad color on the home page of the board. Old eyes have trouble with the small fonts in red. I know black and white isn't as cool but take a look at a book!
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:29 pm

the one minute time limit on making new posts/PMs

say I log in and have six PMs regarding selling gear. immediately that means I have to spend about 6 minutes of time at the computer.

Same with posts.. it makes editing typos or even innaccurate info a pain in the ass.

It doesn't keep waves, apogee, or icydock from spamming the board, so why use it?
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:50 pm

Agreed, rwc.

Also, the search engine for the phpBB software sucks, so having to wait for a period of time between searches is maddening.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:31 am

I'm confused about the suggested lack of "pros" on this board. From what I can tell, there are quite a few people posting here who make their living from audio engineering/producing.

Is the problem that we don't have enough "names" here? That's not a problem at all, if you ask me. The people we do get who are well known and work on rather high-profile records, are people who are sympathetic to the TapeOp cause. And, that is CREATIVE MUSIC RECORDING. I don't see anything going on here anywhere that would prevent or discourage a big league, high profile, big name producer or engineer from registering and participating here if they believe in furthering the cause of CREATIVE MUSIC RECORDING.

I like the size and vibe of this community. If we had a guest forum by someone from the Lord-Alge clan, it would just attract a bunch of assholes who aspire to become really, really rich aping that soul-less garbage.

I also like the magazine's philosophy on what stories they'll run. They just want to publish interesting, informative articles about people making creative recordings. I've seen plenty of articles and interviews in TapeOp, about so many different kinds of music. I don't really see where the narrow focus is. It's not in the magazine. And, if you think that something is under-represented in the magazine, I love that you're encouraged to go do an interview yourself and submit it to the magazine.

I think that the board is the same way. Don't think that there's enough discussion of hip hop production? Post a freaking topic.

I also think that the handling of "company reps" here is absolutely perfect. It's how a community should handle things. If someone involved in manufacturing gear actually participates here and demonstrates that they can be an active participant in the community first, then they're not ever castigated for mentioning their own products. If their first post is some lame spam, trying to make a buck off of our enthusiasm, without ever participating in any other way, they're rightly run out of town.

The only thing that I can think of that I'd like to see changed, is to possibly add a way for registered users to anonymously "rate" either posts or members. I think that might go a long way towards preventing people from spouting off shit that they've heard but never really tried. It feels good to help people. And, sometimes, I think people offer up advice about things they don't even really know about, in some kind of misguided attempt to gain respect. If we had an anonymous way to rate the posts or the users, people might be less likely to do this. Also, it would save me from sometimes feeling like an asshole for pointing out bad advice.

evengangstersreadtapeop

Post by evengangstersreadtapeop » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 am

Hello there, old thread.

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:03 pm

After messing around a but with Safari, I found I can go to view and select no styles and it's much easier to read - blue text on white background.
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 pm

billkahler wrote:After messing around a but with Safari, I found I can go to view and select no styles and it's much easier to read - blue text on white background.

I just discovered you can do this in Firefox as well.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:45 am

fossiltooth wrote:A better search function would be great.
You can always use Google instead, by typing:

site:http://messageboard.tapeop.com/ (search word here)

or

site:http://messageboard.tapeop.com/ ("search words in quotes here")

The second one allows you to search for words that appear together in the order you want. They both allow you to go directly to the page that has what you've searched for (instead of finding the topic and then wading through the first 8 pages looking for it). There's also no wait period for your second search.

Adam
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com