What do you like about this board? What would you change?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:06 am

I like the size and vibe of this community. If we had a guest forum by someone from the Lord-Alge clan, it would just attract a bunch of assholes who aspire to become really, really rich aping that soul-less garbage.
Yes. Then you would have a band of smart-assed minions insulting everyone because they can't be bothered to answer the same question twice in one year.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:47 am

I've mentioned this once, but it bears repeating:
Add a forum called "Welcome to the Terrordome" that is used to house all threads over ten pages.
Prog out with your cog out.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:20 pm

I kind of wish some people wouldn't make generalized assumptions about why a poster is doing or asking something, when, in fact, they really have no idea, then belittling them based on that assumption.

Other than that, I love it here. I'm not a regular member on any other message boards so I don't have any idea how it compares, functionally, but I think, at least, the majority of people here are somewhat open minded and non-condescending, but more importantly helpful and knowledgeable and that's what makes it so good.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:41 pm

OK, here's a constructive thought.

While I enjoy the MEGABOARD in concept, I feel like I don't go there because when I go into a thread from there, there's no efficient way back to the MEGABOARD without pressing back on the browser, because the link at the top of the page just goes to whatever board the thread was created in, and going back on the browser doesn't update/refresh said MEGABOARD, it just brings me back to what was going on there five minutes (or whatever) before.

I think the answer to this would be to have a MEGABOARD link somewhere at the top of the page. Nothing fancy... maybe just a "MB" to the exact and opposite right of where it would usually say "Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques", right under the Auralex ad. There's nothing there now so it wouldn't have to displace anything.

Does anybody else think this is a good idea? I have no idea how many people use the MEGABOARD, so maybe nobody cares?
Geoff Mann

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:11 pm

DrummerMan wrote:OK, here's a constructive thought.

While I enjoy the MEGABOARD in concept, I feel like I don't go there because when I go into a thread from there, there's no efficient way back to the MEGABOARD without pressing back on the browser, because the link at the top of the page just goes to whatever board the thread was created in, and going back on the browser doesn't update/refresh said MEGABOARD, it just brings me back to what was going on there five minutes (or whatever) before.

I think the answer to this would be to have a MEGABOARD link somewhere at the top of the page. Nothing fancy... maybe just a "MB" to the exact and opposite right of where it would usually say "Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques", right under the Auralex ad. There's nothing there now so it wouldn't have to displace anything.

Does anybody else think this is a good idea? I have no idea how many people use the MEGABOARD, so maybe nobody cares?
I think it's a great idea. What I've gotten in the habit of doing, is to go to the Megaboard and then right click on the topics I want to read and select 'Open Link in New Tab". That way, when I finish reading the thread, I just close the tab and the megaboard is right there.

a.
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:45 am

I have a bookmarks toolbar with the megaboard on it.

:)
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:00 am

MegaBoards rules...

Every great forum looks like a piece of crap....this one included.

While doing a google search on any subject when you click the link and it brings you to an ugly looking board like this you know you have found your answer in the content within.

In my opinion this message board actually has all of the very important features working properly in comparison to other forums.

People it seems have learned to get to the megaboards forum anyways,.....and a computer user should put up with the pain in the ass things like that in order to better him/herself anyways......INHO

Fuck pros.
Fuck sellers......reps.....Tape op is a really good thing. I wish you would have sean puffy combs article in your magazine- but then again I am glad that you don't.

I respect the people that do advertise in these magazines though just because they actually make it work and when I go to the store I look for their stuff......

I would actually rather hear the stories of the people in the magazine better than the ones I can watch on mtv......you know the same 10 people.

There is nothing that could be done better here........

There is nothing that is bad yet either.....maybe some more hecklers.....I like them the best.....they actually make people respond more. MOst of what we are here for is fun more than insight although there is plenty of both.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:43 am

rwc wrote:I have a bookmarks toolbar with the megaboard on it.

:)
Ahhhhh!!! Brilliant! :^:

It's amazing how the simple ideas can just slip right by...
Geoff Mann

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:11 pm

there was stuff on the old forumn i miss.. like the applications.ex what mic on what instument placed this way or that way.. very creative stuff.. with out sluting over gear.. people could learn alot off those old threads..
is it beer 30 yet?????

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:31 pm

I like this board because it hasn't evolved/de-volved into a nasty little flame haven like GS. Used to be if you posted something here and somebody who just got pissd on at their gig read it, you got flamed, or if you knew something someone else didn't know, you got slammed by the nearest a-hole especially if they had no idea what they were talking about.
Doesn't hardly happen anymore, here, but at other sites it's rampant. Moderators at other sites go on big ego-vacations, yeah, they didn't just take an egotrip.
I don't care what kind of work someone has done before, doesn't give them a right to slam anyone with a reality based observation, regardless of how many famous people they work with. We just don't see much of that on this board, makes it very nice here. Good place to get info.
Harumph!

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:04 am

I have a minor nit-pick: The color scheme here.

The orange against yellow, in particular, is pretty hard to read. I'm a young guy and have to enlarge the list of threads to be able to read them.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:00 am

i like the colour scheme generally. 8)

i wish there was a way to "block" certain users posts from being displayed. it's obvious that some sad people spend more time on here than they do recording, and then love to give their "sage" advice in every single thread, which i often find an annoying waste of time and space, having to trawl through that shit to get to the good nuggets etc.

couldn't we institute some kind of "ignore" or "foe" list?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:01 am

Babaluma wrote:i like the colour scheme generally. 8)

i wish there was a way to "block" certain users posts from being displayed. it's obvious that some sad people spend more time on here than they do recording, and then love to give their "sage" advice in every single thread, which i often find an annoying waste of time and space, having to trawl through that shit to get to the good nuggets etc.

couldn't we institute some kind of "ignore" or "foe" list?
Give us a link to some of that?
(oh shit, I know I'm asking for it!)
Harumph!

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:23 am

DrummerMan wrote: I think the answer to this would be to have a MEGABOARD link somewhere at the top of the page. Nothing fancy... maybe just a "MB" to the exact and opposite right of where it would usually say "Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques", right under the Auralex ad. There's nothing there now so it wouldn't have to displace anything.

+1

I've gotten a lot of great information here. I'm really glad this place exists.

But, I have to say, that squiggly line that slices through the center of the screen is hands down the shittiest thing about this site. It's horrible.

The first version of TOMB was better.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 am

This is the friendliest, most helpful community I belong to. I trust the info I receive here more than stuff I get anywhere else. And it's actually pretty amazing that there's very little snottiness or cliquiness here. +1

One suggestion: could a google custom search be added somewhere? either to the menu bar itself or to the search page? I think this would make a lot of folks really happy.