688/portastudio users --- where are you buying your cassette

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

688/portastudio users --- where are you buying your cassette

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 am

Just picked up an 688....need some tapes now..

Sensibly priced correctly spec'd options right now seem to be the TDK SM60:
http://www.amazon.com/TDK-SM60-Professi ... B00009QP0E

And the Trutone:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Trutone-60- ... 1160525.gc

I plan to buy a lot of them I was just curious if there were any better options. Maxells seem expensive and pretty much only on eBay... I'm looking for new, sealed stock at the moment.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 am

Stick with good brands like TDK or Maxell. Anything less doesn't last as long and will suffer from dropouts.

Do not use tapes longer than 60min. In order to make the longer tapes fit in the shell, the media is thinner and will be vulnerable to getting "eaten" by the tape mechanism.

But in all seriousness, I would not stay with the cassette format for long. It is just sonically inferior to modern DAW, is not designed for long term storage, and cassette tapes have been an obsolete format for at least a decade. Frankly I am amazed you can still buy new tapes. The mixer sections and preamps of portastudios were subpar - in later years I used an external mixer for recording and mixdown.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 pm

The Real MC wrote:
But in all seriousness, I would not stay with the cassette format for long. It is just sonically inferior to modern DAW, is not designed for long term storage, and cassette tapes have been an obsolete format for at least a decade.
Uh...thanks...that concurs from what I've been able to find on the internet. I am not inexperienced with other superior recording techniques in the least... I did not intend to give the impression that I've been living under a rock, I didn't buy the 688 as an alternative to DAW recording, I have plenty of great stuff for that...I bought it for junk recording/sampling/production. I fully expect it to sound like a turd compared to even the most mediocre digital recording techniques, that's the idea. Long term storage on cassettes is not a concern either, I essentially will be using it in the same way I use my 388...record songs to it, and dump to digital wonderland for mixing/further production. Just more portable, and even cheaper/crappier sounding.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 pm

I don't have a Tascam recorder, but I do have a Sony Walkman Pro and other cassette machines, and I'm not above using them occassionally :wink: ...

I got a case of unopened/NOS "TDK" type II's (branded Radio Shack, but I believe the same as/made by TDK) on ebay last year for a good price. Look around and be patient; they pop up from time to time.

GJ

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 am

kslight wrote:
The Real MC wrote:
But in all seriousness, I would not stay with the cassette format for long. It is just sonically inferior to modern DAW, is not designed for long term storage, and cassette tapes have been an obsolete format for at least a decade.
Uh...thanks...that concurs from what I've been able to find on the internet. I am not inexperienced with other superior recording techniques in the least...
Has it ever occurred to you that I am not just speaking to experienced users or to you alone?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 am

I thank both of you for your contributions to this board.

And of course "high note singin'" Gregg Juke is always around for some know how.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 pm

The Real MC wrote:
Has it ever occurred to you that I am not just speaking to experienced users or to you alone?
Would you like me to edit my original post to include the question "Hey bros, do you think I could make a better recording with a 688 or a new iMac and Mbox?" so as to appropriately trigger your response?

I could post a topic about probably 1/2 of the gear I own and get a response of "that's obsolete don't use it" but you know...I won't, because I already know its old and frankly I don't care what anyone else on the internet has to say about me using it...the less they talk about it the better in fact, more junk for me to choose from.

I'd also reckon that most anyone reading Tape Op is old enough to know what a cassette is and recognizes that they weren't very good in the first place, and certainly are kind of quaint in the digital age...all but the very youngest of us have probably even owned a car or two with cassette decks in somewhat recent history and know just exactly how stupid they are (especially if you live in midwest!).

What was my original question again?
688/portastudio users --- where are you buying your cassettes?
Yeah that's what I was looking for help with. Thanks

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:I don't have a Tascam recorder, but I do have a Sony Walkman Pro and other cassette machines, and I'm not above using them occassionally :wink: ...

I got a case of unopened/NOS "TDK" type II's (branded Radio Shack, but I believe the same as/made by TDK) on ebay last year for a good price. Look around and be patient; they pop up from time to time.

GJ
Thanks Gregg...out of curiosity what's the part number on that?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Oh, gawsh ks, that was last year! Or more ago...
I'll look for an invoice, or at least look at the cassettes next time I'm in the studio.

GJ

PS-- Thanks shred...

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon May 06, 2013 2:11 pm

kslight wrote:
The Real MC wrote:
Would you like me to edit my original post to include the question "Hey bros, do you think I could make a better recording with a 688 or a new iMac and Mbox?" so as to appropriately trigger your response?

I could post a topic about probably 1/2 of the gear I own and get a response of "that's obsolete don't use it" but you know...I won't, because I already know its old and frankly I don't care what anyone else on the internet has to say about me using it...the less they talk about it the better in fact, more junk for me to choose from.

I'd also reckon that most anyone reading Tape Op is old enough to know what a cassette is and recognizes that they weren't very good in the first place, and certainly are kind of quaint in the digital age...all but the very youngest of us have probably even owned a car or two with cassette decks in somewhat recent history and know just exactly how stupid they are (especially if you live in midwest!).
For some peculiar reason you seem to think this discussion forum is all about you and your precious junk, and have trouble fathoming that there is a new generation in grade school just getting started on the recording process who in all likelihood have never heard of cassette tapes. That generation was to whom I was also addressing in my reply - not just you - should they find this forum years from now using a search engine. You need to get out more and see the world before making knee-jerk snarky comments.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon May 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Read the title of the thread, if you have something constructive to add...then do it. Otherwise...why are you here trying to start a fight?

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Tue May 07, 2013 6:59 am

The Real MC wrote:
kslight wrote:
The Real MC wrote:

For some peculiar reason you seem to think this discussion forum is all about you and your precious junk, and have trouble fathoming that there is a new generation in grade school just getting started on the recording process who in all likelihood have never heard of cassette tapes. That generation was to whom I was also addressing in my reply - not just you - should they find this forum years from now using a search engine. You need to get out more and see the world before making knee-jerk snarky comments.
I have to say that it WAS a pretty specific question posted in the title of the thread and not an uneducated plea to be informed on proper recording techniques for a younger generation that has no idea what a cassette is. Because, you see, if they have no idea what a cassette is then why would they even bother with the thread?

Not every thread has to be ministering your way of thinking. If you don't dig or use cassettes then why bother chiming in?

I've been following this thread because I also have been looking for a source for cassettes because I sometimes enjoy the fun and sound of a portastudio.

I, and those like me, were the intended audience for this thread. Not grade school kids just learning about recording that might be led astray by the Siren's song sung by Robert Pollard.

So, can we just get back on topic and stop debating if portastudios are a viable option for children and figure out where the f I can buy a f-ing cassette?

springreverb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by springreverb » Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 am

at least you got TDK PRO SM60 brandnew off amazon in the usa, lucky you
over here in germany, no new sealed type 2 cassettes are available (other than ebay, for ridiculous prices, like over 100$ for a 10pack of maxell xlII)
there are a few basf/emtec tape NOS custom made cassettes though
type I cassettes aren't THAT bad either
i buyed a lot of tapes some years ago, tdk sa90 and some rather obscure tdk dj2 50 (which were like 3EUR for a 10-pack), which are mostly still unused/sealed

and cassette portastudios objectively do rule.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 pm

So, can we just get back on topic and stop debating if portastudios are a viable option for children and figure out where the f I can buy a f-ing cassette?

I may have found a good cheap (less than $1/tape new) source of cassettes for buying in bulk, waiting for my shipment to arrive and to test the tapes before giving them free advertisement...