Getting more signal on the VUs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

O)))
audio school

Getting more signal on the VUs

Post by O))) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 am

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest something for getting more signal, most specifically on my snare track, to tape.

I use an analog machine with VU meters. It seems like in order to not have the peak light come on, the signal is really low.

Maybe a compressor/limiter setting (I have an RNC, dbx 160a, Pro VLA) to catch the transient of the snare hits a bit or something?

I'm not so good at setting compressors for drums just yet. I'm the only drummer that I know, and can't really tweak things on the fly, have to record, listen, record, listen.

I was just hoping for an idea to get me going in the right direction.

Thanks!

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:00 am

I used to aim for the peak lights going off when recording drums to tape. Maybe not OHs or room mics but definitely the close mics. The transient hit is so fast that peaking isn't an issue.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

That's just the way it works with VU meters. VU meters show you the RMS signal level. Since a drum has a very fast attack and a short decay, the average level of the signal is pretty low, even if the transient is off the charts.

If you are recording with the level just below the peak light, you are recording at the proper level for that instrument.

If you are recording to digital, leave about 4 to 6db of headroom for further processing.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:04 pm

aye, that's totally normal.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:25 pm

to reiterate, that's right.

drums barely move the VUs and sit at like -3/-6 VU for me. read up on the ballistics of the meters and transient material. steady state things like guitar hover more like 0 VU.

if you get a chance to work on a machine or console with switchable peak or VU metering you'll see that that -3/6ish range actually has you just about peaking at 0.

then again, i'm not "hitting the tape hard" or any of that stuff, just trying to record "properly". this will also come back favorably if/when you try to dump tape tracks back into the computer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:17 pm

yep don't worry. If you do hit the tape hard and it sounds good that's also fine.

I've been experimenting a lot lately and printing the drums at a more "proper" level with the VUs hitting -5 to -2. Honestly I prefer when I RTB them up and get those fuckers moving.

YMMV

O)))
audio school

Post by O))) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 am

All makes sense. Thanks much.