Backing vocals in the control room--FUN and EASY!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Backing vocals in the control room--FUN and EASY!

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:11 pm

I spent a good portion of my day cutting backing vocals in the control room. The initial idea was that we could get ideas down easily and quickly, see what we liked and then (if needed) record in the booth with the fancy mic.

This was the hired session singer's (Jeff Greeneberg of 100 Year Picnic) idea as we were not working on his songs, but the songs of the artist I'm producing (Matt Robinson). The singer had work mixes of the tunes, and had also played drums on some of the cuts.

I had an M88 with a little Aulralex triangle shaped thing near the couch. That mic has great rejection and I don?t' foresee any problems using all of the great things we got today.

The best part was how much we could get done. We (the artist and I) could say "I like that" or "try this" or whatever and the singer's reaction was instant. It was easy to check things and resing, alter or edit an idea. What a pleasure this was!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 pm

for real. you may think i'm crazy, but main vocals in the control room works, too. that is, unless you need the super-duper fanciness of a vocal booth.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm

themagicmanmdt wrote:for real. you may think i'm crazy, but main vocals in the control room works, too. that is, unless you need the super-duper fanciness of a vocal booth.
Ive done that too. I really liked it for the BVs because the parts were not set in stone as often the melody is. It was the comunication that I really loved.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 am

drumsound wrote:I really liked it for the BVs because the parts were not set in stone as often the melody is.

<b>It was the comunication that I really loved.</b>
Welcome to the wonderful world of a one room studio. Communication is so much more efficient when everyone's in the same room, sitting nearby. The vibe is incredible too. Used to have a separate control room... now I would never go back.

Aj
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:17 am

Tony - I want my 10% finder's fee for Matt, cool?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:34 am

Aj wrote:
drumsound wrote:I really liked it for the BVs because the parts were not set in stone as often the melody is.

Welcome to the wonderful world of a one room studio. Communication is so much more efficient when everyone's in the same room, sitting nearby. The vibe is incredible too. Used to have a separate control room... now I would never go back.

Aj
I don't think I'd want to do a whole band this way. Or even loud guitar overdubs, but for BVs is was quite nice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:35 am

mjau wrote:Tony - I want my 10% finder's fee for Matt, cool?
Remind me and I'll send you a CD.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:38 am

Aj wrote:

Aj

+1

I also have used the one-room approach. It is SO much better. The communication lag / misunderstanding of a talk back mic and glass walls, just disappears.

I usually have a headphone cue setup, just as if the control room were an isolation booth. This way, if I need to turn off the speakers to track, we can all get on headphones, for less bleed issues. The control room becomes the iso booth, and vice versa.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:21 pm

drumsound wrote:
Aj wrote:

Aj
I don't think I'd want to do a whole band this way. Or even loud guitar overdubs, but for BVs is was quite nice.
My set-up is, for me, the best of both worlds - it's a "one room" studio, but I have a couple distinct ISO rooms. For loud guitar overdubs, the amps are in ISO... but thanks to snakes/cables, the player is out in the room with me (and any other interested parties). Always. No one's ever "on the other side of the glass."

And yes, when recording a whole band live, we're all in one big room together. But don't knock it 'till you try it! It can be a religious conversion experience! :)

Aj
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Ann Arbour can't be that far... I should try a whole band sometime. How do you get your phase relationships right? Is it always print and check?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:25 am

Aj wrote:
drumsound wrote:
Aj wrote:

Aj
My set-up is, for me, the best of both worlds - it's a "one room" studio, but I have a couple distinct ISO rooms. For loud guitar overdubs, the amps are in ISO... but thanks to snakes/cables, the player is out in the room with me (and any other interested parties). Always. No one's ever "on the other side of the glass."

And yes, when recording a whole band live, we're all in one big room together. But don't knock it 'till you try it! It can be a religious conversion experience! :)

Aj
+1

Try viewing some Daniel Lanois, producer. He uses the one room to great effect. I went to his old studio, a converted theater in Oxnard CA, and it was all set up as a "live" situation, where the artists would go onstage, and where the seating used to be, was all the gear, console, computers, etc... the vibe was great!

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:25 am

noeqplease wrote:
Aj wrote:
drumsound wrote:
Aj wrote:

Aj

Aj
+1

Try viewing some Daniel Lanois, producer. He uses the one room to great effect. I went to his old studio, a converted theater in Oxnard CA, and it was all set up as a "live" situation, where the artists would go onstage, and where the seating used to be, was all the gear, console, computers, etc... the vibe was great!

Cheers
One of the best things about Teatro was that it increased name-recognition for Oxnard. Ox-nard. Awesome.
Prog out with your cog out.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:38 am

AJ,
I've got a similar setup that we describe as 'no control room plus'
Console in the room w the drums. whole band plays there but we have one decent sized ISO w sight lines and another amp room.

It is my second 'no control room' place. I really, really love working that way.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:36 am

I've actually talked to Daniel Lanouis about this briefly. He really loves it.

Pete Wiess' Verdant studio is this way as is Wavelab, Craig Shumacher's place in Tucson AZ.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:10 am

i'd really love to have a control room simply for recording drums. all of my own recording experience has been in basements/bedrooms/attics and i have a hard time hearing how mics are picking up drums without them being isolated. a lot of the mic placement has been guesswork, then going back and trying to improve upon the placement by listening to some playback and re-positioning mics... but even then, i know i'd have a better idea if my monitors were in an isolated room and i could just have someone bang on the drums while another person moved mics around.

i guess what i'm trying to ask is how do you 'one room studio' guys effectively mic your drums?