Shinybox "Si" mic pre wow.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

I added the Shinybox si4 pre to my racks this weekend. After just one session with it on overheads and guitar duties, I'm extremely pleased. Its a great sounding pre and for the cost, damn.. amazing.

Overheads usually end up going through my boards pres, a Soundtracs topaz project 8, which are very useable. My API 3124, EHX pre, and Neve/Westrek 80 (1073 clone) end up in kick, snare, bass, guitar duties when tracking a full band depending. This weekend though, used two channels of the Si4 on overheads using modded Oktava mk-012's and the other two channels in combo of my API's on a two mic set up on each guitar amp. (Oktava ml-52 and Shure sm7b through Si4, and 421 and CAD e100 through API)

Overheads have never sounded this big, detailed, and open before in my place. I could honestly rely on mostly the overheads for my main drum sound. Something I'm normally only accustomed to when tracking out of bigger, better rooms using better pres.

I like using ribbons and large diaphragm dynamics on a lot of sources. Oktava ml52, modded TOMB ribbons, Beyer 260, Shure sm7b, re20, 421's, atm-25's are all used regularly on guitar amps, bass amps, drums and vocals. Usually combos of either ribbon and dynamic or ribbon and condenser or dynamic and condenser (4047 or older CAD e100) on guitar and bass amps. Having the option of switching between 1.4 and 8k impedance on the Si4 allows these mics to have different tonal/voice options for ribbon and dynamic mics.

For some reason I always thought that "clean" transparent pres would be more "boring" or too detailed or even sterile for my tastes, and possibly brittle due to using cheaper mics and an all digital recording path. Wrong. The mighty and explosive sound that comes out of these pres on drums and guitars is awesome and very pleasing to my ears.

The fact that you get 4 pres for such a low price and that they are extremely versatile makes this an ideal preamp for us TOMB'ers. I should have gotten one of these YEARS ago!!!. I was thinking I was going to have to spend MUCH more on another 4 channel pre of this quality.

And what the others have said about Jon, the person behind Shinybox, is right on. Totally a great person with a great company that deserves the support.

-Brandon