Anyone into this? FTP me your digital tracks to hit analog??

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Anyone into this? FTP me your digital tracks to hit analog??

Post by cjmnash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Hey all you Tape Op analog lusters out there:

I'm offering a new "Analog Anywhere" service at my vintage, all analog studio in Nashville, TN called "Welcome To 1979" ( www.myspace.com/welcometo1979 ) which features a vintage MCI 428 analog console, MCI JH24 2" 24 track analog recorder, and several MCI and Ampex analog mix down decks.

I also have a PT rig (I know, that's not really "1979" lol) and tons of server space. Here's the deal- I set up a secure folder that only you and I have access to- you upload whatever [timestamped] individual tracks you'd like to hit tape (kick, snare, bass, vocal, whatever), I'll download them, run them through the console and tape machine (then line them up with the original and re-timestamp them as such) and upload the "vintage versions" of the tracks for you to download- they'll line up just fine with the rest of your tracks.

This also works for final mixes too! I can run them through my console and to my main mix down deck and upload them for you for that great analog sound on your mixes.

I wanna keep this affordable, something where people without much of a budget can afford to send me a few individual tracks from each song from a full length, or all of their mixes and not break the bank.

I have a great before and after examples for anyone who is interested in hearing this for yourself. Just email me and I'll send you hi res (24bit/48k .wav) files of the following:

-before and after of solo'd kick, snare and electric guitar (individual files)
-before and after of a stereo mix
-a mix with only digital tracks
-the same mix with kick, snare, bass and electric guitar after console/tape

The individual tracks (and the post tape tracks in the mix) were ran through a MCI 428A console, then to a MCI JH24 2" using BASF SM900 (+5/250) at 30ips, no NR.

The stereo mix was ran through the console's 2 mix then to an Ampex ATR 800 1/4" using Ampex 456 (+3/250) at 30ips, no NR.

The files can be imported directly into any DAW so you guys can hear them on your own system and really hear the difference.

Git me up at cym@mindspring.com and i'll get you the link to the examples, along with pricing info.

Anyone into this??

Chris Mara
Nashville, TN
www.chrismara.com
www.myspace.com/welcometo1979
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:26 am

Hey chris, this is a really cool idea, I know I would be interested if it were affordable. You're studio is super nice, its a bummer me and sean couldn't swing booking it last summer.

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:01 am

hey ian- thanks! i'm working hard to keep this very affordable, so I'm sure you'll be in to it.

hit me up and I'll send you the before and after examples along with pricing.

no sweat about last summer- the guys who rented the studio had a great time, so all's well that ends well. i *might* have the same type of situation for december- fyi.

thanks again, i'm getting a TON of emails about this!

-chris
cym@mindspring.com

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 am

ok- I've been getting a lot of questions about this, so I put together a quick "analog anywhere" FAQ. Here goes:

Hey Chris, how much are you charging? By the hour, or what?

Nope- not doing the hourly thing for this. I'm doing a flat fee of $10 per individual track (kick, snare, etc) and $25 per stereo mix. This is an all inclusive price- no hidden costs what so ever, and I offer discounts for bigger projects.

Can I hear a before and after example?

SSure! I put a folder with high resolution (24 bit/48k .wav) files of before/after examples to my secure server. just download a free FTP program (if you don't already have one) like cyberduck for mac or smartFTP for PC.

server: www[dot]chrismara[dot]com
username: marademoreel
password: Hearthis247 (case sensitive)

you'll see a folder named "FTP Before and After), download the entire folder (just under 700 mb) and import the high res (24bit/48k .wav) files into a new project in your DAW.

-chris

ps- i'm uploading the folder to my server right now...give it about an hour.

It's pretty straightforward and self explanatory and includes before an after of a few individual tracks, before and after of a stereo mix, and a digital mix will all digital tracks followed by the same mix with kick, snare, bass and electric guitar post console/tape.

Can I advertise analog capabilities at my studio and sub it out to you? Would that be ok?

Of course! That's the whole idea- I love the idea of promoting a 'world market' of sorts where we can pool all of our resources to attract new clients without raising your overhead.

Why all the effort? I'll just use a plug in or tape simulator...

Well, first of all there's hardly any effort involved on your end. Just export some files, click upload, go to bed, wake up, and import the lovely analog files. Secondly, this isn't a tape simulator- it's the real thing. Aside from hitting tape I'm also running the files through the console to get it's sonic imprint (from transformers, caps, etc, etc), as well as the other sonic characteristics of the tape machine itself (from its transformers, caps, etc, etc) and taking the time to find the "sweetspot" gain structure between console and tape machine, same with stereo mixes- some mixes sound better when the 2 buss and 2 track are getting worked harder, some need a lot of headroom..every song is different. Tape simulators not fully capture the effects of tape, and they don't even begin to attempt what an complete vintage signal path sounds like. This is what I'm offering- the whole package!

I just looked at your studio pics- what are the odds of you running my files through some of your great vintage outboard gear too?

The odds are great! Let me know what you want me to hit with what (typically) compressor and I'll give you a couple options to play with, i.e.- light compression and crazy heavy compression from a DBX 160 VU. I charge an additional $5 to hit the outboard rack...once I'm there it's the same flat rate- just like a sonic buffet, so go crazy! (Chris Mara -- Indie Rock Producer/Engineer-1979)

What type of console/tape machine(s) do you have?

I have a recapped, rechipped 1978 MCI JH428 console strapped to a MCI JH 24 2" 24 track tape machine. I typically use BASF SM900 tape at 30IPS, no NR. I also have an Ampex ATR800 1/4" machine tied to the console's 2 mix, and typically use Ampex 456 at 30IPS, no NR. My machines (and console) are well maintained and routinely aligned within an inch of their lives. I also have access to a 2" 16 track headstack for my machine, as well as a 1/2" MCI 110 machine- both available upon request.

What kind of converters are you using?

To keep things affordable, and easy for me to accept all kinds of different digital files/sample rates I'm using a PT 002 w/the Black Lion mods. However; I can use whatever converter(s) you'd like and adjust the price accordingly to accommodate the rental, and/or schedule a couple people's projects to coincide and split the rental. Being in Nashville I can rent almost any kind of converter.

I've got a lot of songs and a lot of tracks to choose from, what would you recommend me sending to you for "analogization" and "vintagizing"?

Well that's a great question. In the before and after example of the mix with only digital tracks vs the mix with analog kick, snare, bass and electric guitar you will really hear the "foundation" kick in...which is great. So I really recommend the kick/snare/bass thing to people a lot. But don't forget about other things that you may be struggling with in your mix- like vocals or overheads. The console/tape path adds some depth to vocals and really helps them sit in a mix better...which is the whole idea. Plus, since you'll have the original track you can even blend the two together a bit in the mix for an interesting effect. The sky is the limit.

This all sounds great Chris, how do we get started?

Just shoot me an email with your project specifics (# of files, what you'd like done, etc) and I'll set you up with a username and password for your secure folder on my server- upload your files and that's that.

Hope this answers some common questions...I'll update the FAQ if I see any more trends in questions that I get.

I'm getting a TON of response from this- thanks!

-Chris Mara

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:25 pm

My lil' review:
Just used Mr. Mara's service and I have to say that I'm pleased with the results. I've been recording on a DAW for a while now, but I have had experience with tape before, either as a session player or as an artist. A lot of these experiences happened before I started recording on my own and have really colored my perception of the sounds I've been getting since. While the treatment didn't substitute for a song tracked and mixed on 2", it did get it "in the ballpark".
I sent Chris a 24/44.1 final mix and got back a 16/44.1 stereo file that had that had a nice and tapey, glued-together sound to it. I loaded the two files into Cubase SX and a/b'd them. The original file was peaking at around -6, while the file I got back was clocking in around -2, so I had to move some faders to get the two mixes to balance. When I got things in the ballpark, I heard a little extra mids/low-mids, along with just a tiny bit of noticeable hiss in the "empty" space at the beginning and end of the track. The hiss wasn't any more prominent than other tape-transfers I've heard. The eq bump wasn't at all muddy, but had a smooth and cohesive vibe that comes along with tape. The material was in a sort-of electronic genre, so I had the kick drum out in front. After the process, it was still present, but sat in the mix a little more comfortably than before.
I'm planning on using Analog Anywhere again in the future, both on individual tracks and final mixes.
Last edited by Jay Reynolds on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prog out with your cog out.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Thanks for the review! Not sure if I'm personally interested in using this service, but I think it's a great, innovative marriage of old and new technology, and I'm excited to see someone doing it. I hope it turns out to be a good way to keep what looks like a cool studio in business.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:12 am

chris, so it would be $25 plus $5 for the outboard rack for a two track master?

most of my music is 100% electronic (digital and analogue modular synth), are you happy to accept tracks outside of the "rock band" genre?

gregg

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:17 am

wow- thanks for the great review- glad you liked it!
Babaluma wrote:chris, so it would be $25 plus $5 for the outboard rack for a two track master?

most of my music is 100% electronic (digital and analogue modular synth), are you happy to accept tracks outside of the "rock band" genre?

gregg
hey gregg- you are correct; $25 per stereo mix + $5 for the outboard gear buffet. and yes, i am very happy to accept tracks outside the 'rock band' genre; in fact- superaction80's song wasn't rock, it was more electronica.

hit me up at cym@mindspring.com and we'll go from there.

thanks again!

-chris

KyleDiSanto
audio school

Post by KyleDiSanto » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:24 am

Hey Everyone!

So I got a chance to use Chris's "Analog Anywhere" service on a couple of mixes from one of my clients and all I have to say is "Fuck Yeah!"

Both the client and I are very happy with the outcome and it was Exactly what I was looking for.

The process added the 3-D Depth I was looking for and Chris even took it a step further by experimenting with how hard to hit the tape, to get a little more Glue going on with the mixes; a Definitive plus, that's for sure.

I recommend this service to everyone who is looking to warm up their digital tracks and stay within budget!

Thanks Again Chris.

P.S. For all those Interested, you can hear a before and after example via my Soundclick site below. Just look for the track "Dead and Gone." and listen away :)
Kyle DiSanto
Audio Engineer

Services:
Recording, Mixing, Mastering and More!

www.soundclick.com/beforeandafter

www.shelterislandsound.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 pm

What a cool idea!
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Yeah-- very cool! I'm working on a project with some buddies right now (it's kind of crawling along), but I would love to try this out when we have some mixes done
________
Airsoft Magazines
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 pm

sweet!

check out the website for this:

www.analoganywhere.com

rock out!

chris

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:25 am