Which 'Version' (Oktava 012)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
AstroDan
george martin

Which 'Version' (Oktava 012)

Post by AstroDan » Sat May 24, 2003 3:18 pm

I've never owned an Oktava and have heard to many good things about the MC-012, so I must get one. However, I have heard that there are 'good' versions and 'bad'. Maybe this is just a stupid myth, but then again you have grey 421's which are supposed to be better than the black ones, various AKG-414's that differ in quality, new u87 vs. old, etc...So maybe someone can point a fella to the 'right', good-sounding MC-012. I'd appreciate it.

While on the subject, what exactly ARE some of the various types of gear that differ within the same model? As in, should I only look for an LA-2 that is between serial # 1455 to 1478, and pass on an Elam 251 that is being sold anywhere besides that one boutique store behind the Reichstag in Berlin?

...Ok, I'll stop being obnoxious.

Dyno
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Which 'Version' (Oktava 012)

Post by Dyno » Sat May 24, 2003 3:32 pm

I own 4 mc012's, bought them all at guitar center on sale for 100.00 ea. After a/b testing them , I found all 4 were very consistant. I think Taylor at THE microphones high grades and matches the capsules and thay claim theirs are very superior. Who knows for sure, they want alot more $ for them. BTW, I a/b'd these with my KM184, the Octavas really sound close, tighter bottom, I prefer the Octavas on acoustic guitar.

I would seriosly consider getting the 3 capsule kit instead of the single cardiod. I use different ones all the time.

Dyno

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sat May 24, 2003 4:50 pm

first, i'm with dyno. i have a pair of 012's and wish i had all three capsules....

from my buying experience (also at GC), i think THE most important thing is to a/b a bunch of these suckers and pick a pair that sound alike and that fit what you want. i threw 9 of these mics up on an acoustic, and the difference between some of them was amazing. all over the place, literally. i zoned in on one that sounded good to me and tried to match it as best i could from the others. i've been happy with mine, but i'll tell you, some of the ones i listened to sounded like shit. i know you can pay more from outside companies who "match" them, but for the money, i'd go GC or similar and fight for a pair (or single mic) that sounds right. great little mic's, but the quality control leaves a little something to be desired. the trick is to find a good one.....

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:36 am

just to throw whats already been said a bunch out there again... I bought 2 of em at gtr center & they sounded way different tonally & one was way louder than the other.. I played with em a bit but ended up taking them back since I wanted them as a stereo pair.. neat mics. I tested em on cymbals, snare, vox & gtr. They could be very usefull. I think I will get a matched pair someday. The guy at gtr center told me he picked out 2 for himself but had to go through 20 to find 2 he liked.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:26 pm

I have a pair. I also have lots of other mics that cost way more money.

I got 6 of them, and returned four. I think they are excellent microphones for the money.

I, too like them as much as KM84's, and I actually prefer the oktava's as tom mics. I have been using those for a while now as my first pull tom mic. I dont really use them for anything else.

I dont think you would ever be bummed out by a pair of these. If you are really that worried about an exact matching pair, save your money towards something a little pricier. I have never used a matched pair that sounded EXACTLY alike, but who cares? The ride side of a kit sounds different than the hat side anyway...

Unless you are doing super insanely critical jazz or classical stuff, who cares about a slight .5 Db anomaly at 3.6k??? I certainly dont.

The myths are perpetuated by people who SELL things, not by people who USE things IMO.

If you insist, I will sell you mine for 500 dollars and go buy 5 pairs and throw 2 in the street, just because I can after you get suckered by my "matched, hand picked, sniffed by a truffle pig, and blessed by a witch doctor pair"....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:16 pm

Hey Dan,

Do a search for "Oktava" and see if you can find one of the posts about my frequency response tests. It's too late for me to type the whole story again, but worth reading.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:17 pm

Some gear that differs within the "same" model:

LA4's. I like both black and silver for different reasons.

1176's: I had a blue stripe. Then I had asilver face "jewel". Now I have a black, first year reissue.The blue stripe was the best. I had to sell it (sobs, tears...)
I wish I still had all three. Oh well.

It is 2 am... uuugghh. I had like 5 more examples.

....zzzzzz....zzzzzz....zzzz

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:27 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Some gear that differs within the "same" model:

LA4's. I like both black and silver for different reasons.

1176's: I had a blue stripe. Then I had asilver face "jewel". Now I have a black, first year reissue.The blue stripe was the best. I had to sell it (sobs, tears...)
I wish I still had all three. Oh well.
Shure Level Locs: M62 and M62V, with volume pot.

AKG 414s: EB, BULS, TL

DBX 160: 160, 160X, 160XT, 160A

H3000: Don't get me started.

Chris

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am

DBX 160: 160, 160X, 160XT, 160A

160S

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:31 am

on a related note (sorta):
anyone heard the lomo capsules for the 012? A couple went on ebay the other day, and you can get em at the soundroom. I'm intrigued.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:55 am

anyone heard the lomo capsules for the 012?
spiral has one of these - i havent seen him posting much lately though. i borrowed it and used it only twice with ok results. once as a drum ambient mic and another as on electric guitar. neither application flattered it too much, but he's had pretty good things to say as i recall... it was also a long time ago that i used them, so my memory isn't so good.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:57 am

while we're discussing. . .

I have 2 pairs (matched myself) from GC that I bought when they were having a 2 for one sale. One pair, though is called "MC-012" while the other is "MK-012." Anyone know about that? When I got them, i found information that said that they were the same, but the MK was not meant to be exported or something. If not, then why does GC have them? Anybody have any insight?

-James

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:53 pm

mingus2112 wrote:while we're discussing. . .

I have 2 pairs (matched myself) from GC that I bought when they were having a 2 for one sale. One pair, though is called "MC-012" while the other is "MK-012." Anyone know about that? When I got them, i found information that said that they were the same, but the MK was not meant to be exported or something. If not, then why does GC have them? Anybody have any insight?

-James
Most of the early ones I saw in this country were called MK-012s, then suddenly started being labeled as MC-012s. Not being familiar with the Russian alphabet, I can only speculate that the model number may indeed have something to do with export. I have read that these microphones were designed in 1963 and haven't really changed much since then. As far as I can tell, both the MCs and MKs really are the same mic.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:32 pm

i might be one of the only people who doesn't really love this mic.
i have a pair from GC that are ok. definately a good mic for the money.
i like it on under snare sometimes. don't like it much on overheads.
but to be fair, i don't really love small condenser's as much as other people i know. there good on mandolin though. mine sound pretty much the same.
but i've heard that they can sound totally different mic to mic.