My Bloody Valentine @ San Francisco

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

My Bloody Valentine @ San Francisco

Post by Knight79 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Saw them Tuesday. Amazing show and uh.....well......loud. Wore earplugs but would occasionally take them out to hear the high end swirl. Total sensory overload. So glad I got to see them.

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:27 pm

caught them in chicago..

it was awesome.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:22 pm

Yes. The Chicago show was amazing.
The noise section towards the end was insane. It's what I would imagine that a whole fleet of Space Shuttles would sound like taking off at the same time.

This was my first show with my fancy new musician's earplugs. Custom fitted with supposedly flat 15dB filters. They weren't quite flat. A pretty significant dip in the upper mids. But, they were still pretty great. And, I'm really happy that I had them.

I feel really fortunate to have seen MBV. It was one of the most extreme audio experiences of my life.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 pm

are there any particularly exceptional bootlegs of these reunion shows floating around?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:41 pm

thieves wrote:are there any particularly exceptional bootlegs of these reunion shows floating around?
I've only seen a few YouTube clips that are comical in the video camera's inability to handle that kind of SPL.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:48 pm

I didn't personally see them but a friend wrote this about the SF show:
It was so fucking loud that people were holding their ears---with earplugs in them! I was offered earplugs twice by different people. This is no exaggeration. 20 Minutes of white noise in the end beaming from their guitars shook the crowd enough to induce either vomit or pants crap! It sounded like the PA speakers were about to tear, smoke or blow.. It was sonic rape! It was religious.. and it was wonderful. They played a flawless and beautiful show.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:51 pm

It was so loud that the vibration of the floor literally made my feet hurt.
So rad. ;)

I probably had my earplugs in for about 50% of the show. I only made it about 2 minutes into the outrageous noise section before I realized that that was probably really bad for my ears. And, good thing I put the earplugs in, because it definitely continued for at least another 15 minutes.

The projection and strobe lights at this show are pretty amazing, too. I'm really surprised that they don't have any seizures in the audience. It was definitely a feast for the senses.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:34 am

newfuturevintage wrote:I didn't personally see them but a friend wrote this about the SF show:
It was so fucking loud that people were holding their ears---with earplugs in them! I was offered earplugs twice by different people. This is no exaggeration. 20 Minutes of white noise in the end beaming from their guitars shook the crowd enough to induce either vomit or pants crap! It sounded like the PA speakers were about to tear, smoke or blow.. It was sonic rape! It was religious.. and it was wonderful. They played a flawless and beautiful show.
Ha! I had heard about the vomiting, didn't see any of it. I definitely had to go number two-sies (sorry) afterwards but was able to keep it together. I do remember during the 40 minutes of white noise towards the end a few people of giving the middle finger, probably very casual listeners or had no idea of who they were. After the show everyone had a near death experience look on their face. Amazing.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:23 am

Preface: Love the band

I saw them many many years ago at the Metro in Chicago. It was loud, very loud, so loud I couldn't really hear them--you know what I mean? I found it a waste of money. For a few minutes it's an unusual experience, but for a concert of music... I found it detracting. The songs weren't "better," they were just harder to discern. I wouldn't give them the bird over it, it's their choice, no big deal. I've seen Mogwai approach these volumes as well and there again I didn't think it was useful artistically.

Perhaps the quality of the volume has improved in the intervening years?

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 am

The very obese couple in front of me was tripping on shrooms, sweating, and licking each other pre show.

Then MBV went on and the girl fell to the fetal position around her boyfriends leg, for the DURATION of the show.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:39 am

jonathan wrote:The very obese couple in front of me was tripping on shrooms, sweating, and licking each other pre show.

Then MBV went on and the girl fell to the fetal position around her boyfriends leg, for the DURATION of the show.
Thanks... thanks for that image stuck in my head. Thanks a lot... I just chucked my MBV CDs.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:13 am

subatomic pieces wrote: I feel really fortunate to have seen MBV. It was one of the most extreme audio experiences of my life.
I saw the Tuesday show in NYC. I'll never forget it. It was like the band showed us a different side of sound that I'd never experienced before, and that no other band could really reveal. It sounds annoyingly pretentious to say that, but it's honestly how I feel.

Physically, I took my girlfriend and I about 48 hours to fully recover from the show. Something about the way the sound vibrated your different internal organs at various modulating frequencies just drained us completely. We both had -30db foam earplugs in the whole way the whole time.

It was awesome to see all of the original members playing. Awesome!!!!!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 am

jonathan wrote:The very obese couple in front of me was tripping on shrooms, sweating, and licking each other pre show.
i just wanted to see this sentence again.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:12 am

comfortstarr wrote:Preface: Love the band

I saw them many many years ago at the Metro in Chicago. It was loud, very loud, so loud I couldn't really hear them--you know what I mean? I found it a waste of money. For a few minutes it's an unusual experience, but for a concert of music... I found it detracting. The songs weren't "better," they were just harder to discern. I wouldn't give them the bird over it, it's their choice, no big deal. I've seen Mogwai approach these volumes as well and there again I didn't think it was useful artistically.

Must have... Because, it was outrageously loud, but I could hear everything that I loved about the songs at all times. I really thought it sounded wonderful.

Knight79
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Knight79 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:04 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
comfortstarr wrote:Preface: Love the band

Must have... Because, it was outrageously loud, but I could hear everything that I loved about the songs at all times. I really thought it sounded wonderful.
At the San Fran show the bass and drums cut through nice and clean so you could make out each song pretty easily.