Still making songs by myself in my kitchen

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

???????
resurrected

Still making songs by myself in my kitchen

Post by ??????? » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 pm

don't worry. it's still great.

package up all of the songs you've done in your kitchen and send me the FLAC files. i'll drop some cash in your paypal account.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:01 pm

tateeskew wrote:don't worry. it's still great.

package up all of the songs you've done in your kitchen and send me the FLAC files. i'll drop some cash in your paypal account.
haha, I can't tell if you're serious or not. In any case, what's a FLAC file? (sorry)

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 pm

??????? wrote:

haha, I can't tell if you're serious or not. In any case, what's a FLAC file? (sorry)
i'm completely serious.
FLAC = http://flac.sourceforge.net/
it's a lossless compression.
this is the install for the codec: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/flac/flac-1.2.1b.exe

this is a front-end to encode your wav files: http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

other front-ends will work. encode all of those songs in FLAC, tell me where to grab them and your email you use for Paypal or your address and i'll send you a check.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Awesome, that's totally sweet of you. Do you have a Mac format codec by any chance?

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:26 pm

??????? wrote:Awesome, that's totally sweet of you. Do you have a Mac format codec by any chance?
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/MacFLAC.shtml

try that one.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Got it!

Compressing about 7 tunes for you as I type. :D

So I checked out your website, cool stuff! Is this for your internet radio thing, or do you just like paying people for their music? :D

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:42 pm

+1
Good music, good playing & singing, and good mixing/engineering.

I think the vocal levels are fine. They are on the louder side, but many songs have comparable vocals levels. If you are going for buried vocals like Tool or something, you didn't do it. If you want them to sit nicely on top, I think you did great.

Awesome guitar layering - worthy of comparisons to Jimmy Page.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 pm

Man, your cymbals always sound great! The whole song is awesome like the ones you've done in the past, but I'm curious what kind of cymbals you have.

Good work again!

I suppose you're using an assortment of Royer mod MXL's? Heh.

BTW, the ending is particularly interesting with the drums all of the sudden going backwards and then a fade out with only the guitars. Sweet.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:13 pm

??????? wrote:Got it!

So I checked out your website, cool stuff! Is this for your internet radio thing, or do you just like paying people for their music? :D
it will probably end up on the station, but this is for my own personal enjoyment. i like the songs and the recordings fit the songs very well.

keep doing what you do.
let me know when those songs are done compressing and where i should send money to.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:07 pm

tateeskew wrote:
??????? wrote:Got it!

it will probably end up on the station, but this is for my own personal enjoyment. i like the songs and the recordings fit the songs very well.

keep doing what you do.
let me know when those songs are done compressing and where i should send money to.
I've got them compressed but I'm gonna upload them later because I'm watching a football game on the internet right now and uploading the files was breaking my connection. Priorities, haha.

Cymbals: mix of old K zildjians and new Istanbuls.

MXL Royer Mod mic on: vocals, drum room mic, bass cab. :D

Foliage
studio intern

Post by Foliage » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:16 am

Really nice song, I like it a lot.

*wanders off singing* you think you're yourself, you could be almost anybody else...

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Post by jakeao » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:41 am

Nice song. I really dig the sound of the drums.
..."Look lady it's real simple. You slip me the cash, and I slip you the wiener."
" But I don't have any cash"
" Then I don't have a wiener!!!"

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:20 am

Nice!
Really cohesive. I found myself listening to it without my engineer hat/bandanna/dew-rag. Every time I tried to zoom in and focus on one element and how I thought it sounded, I wound up zoomed out just listening to the song as a whole again. One of the hardest things to do is to get a collection of tracks/overdubs to sound like they're just this moment that you happened to capture on "tape". You pulled that off.
The only parts that "woke me up" from my little "listening dream" were some of the very low register vocals. Not sure what I'd recco there though, because the melody you're supporting sounds like it has to go there. You might be able to get away with moving those parts up an octave. Of course, I get the sense that you're not about to do any more tracking, so this is all academic.
Again, great song.
Prog out with your cog out.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:02 pm

tateaskew, PM sent.