i need some decent shockmounts

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

i need some decent shockmounts

Post by floid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Beware the shockmount that comes with a mic. Seems like each one is more cheaply made than the last. The one that came with my M-Audio Luna has done a good decade of service and seems ready for another, and the CAD m179's seems promising, but most of the rest I have are falling apart in one way or another. One i've had less than a year appears to have broken from the tension of the elastic band.
The Rycote stuff looks nice, but pricey...
Village Idiot.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Believe it or not the best budget shock mount I've found is the EH/Octava one for ribbons and LDCs. It's well made and works really well. Fits lots of other mics too (provided the mic has a threaded base and that ring/nut thingy).

Looks like they've changed the design cosmetics a bit from the ones I have but I'll still bet it's solid.

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Microphone-a ... mount.html

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:49 am

I bought a pair of these a few years back to use with my AKG 414's and they have been great, not to mention about 1/10the price of an AKG mount... I suspect they would fit a lot of other similar mics.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKSKB
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:16 am

Most shock mounts that I've used, with the exceptions of Neumann and Rycote are terrible.

The shock mount on my Peluso P-28 seems good. It's chinese, but seems fine. I think Peluso sells that and other shock mounts on his web site. Cheap shock mounts are usually exactly that, cheap. That Oktava looks worth a try!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:23 pm

I'll give it a go then. I do have a couple mics that won't work with that style though. I keep coming back to the Rycote Invision with thumb screws and pop filter.
Village Idiot.