used ("dated") or new (modern tech) condensor mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

carabinerx
audio school

used ("dated") or new (modern tech) condensor mic?

Post by carabinerx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:19 pm

With about $300, the 3u audio warbler II (U47 type) seems to be a great mic, BUT I see things like the CADm9 or akg c214, ksm32, etc. for the same money (used). Are these better mics, significantly?

Or is it that much better to save up for a tlm 102, or ksm44, or (if one ever came up for sale!) a stellar cm-6?

Ive been using an akg p220, in running it through a vintage transformer altec preamp, I am an alto singer, focusrite interface, sound treated home studio, pop-rock, power-punk (whatever these mean) types of singing...hopefully that covers the bases

Whats the word, what would you buy?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 pm

I would save up and get a much better microphone.
Especially if you do record even semi regularly.

I would suggest the AKG 414, preferably the model with a transformer in it, my preference, the 414BULS.

If you can, get a pair, and then you're set.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 am

Staying in the price range, I can reco the CAD M9 as one of the better cheap tube mic's out there. I prefer the Genesis, love the Sputnik and the CAD Trion 8000 also, but it's right in there.

I have a KSM27 and I like that on my vocals as much as my Senn MKH4, and more than the AT4040 and AKG A6; the latter two sound very good, but tend to artifact a bit in the highs when pushed.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:56 am

in that price range it's hard to beat a SM7 - i know it's not a condenser but it's well known to stand up to mics worth 5 to 10 times - IN THE CONTEXT OF A MIX. if you haven't tried one - i'd recommend it.

I also really love the Peluso mics - I will probably never own a real C12 but their P12 is a great mic.

I sold my TLM 103 after getting some better mics - it's top end is alluring at first but gets tiring after a while....
the new rules : there are no rules

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:17 am

I had an M9 briefly and thought it was damn near useless.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:58 am

Well, they did discontinue it to be replaced by the Trion. That said, sometimes one is better than the other? I know I like it on vocals, haven't tried it elsewhere.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:47 am

joninc wrote:in that price range it's hard to beat a SM7 - i know it's not a condenser but it's well known to stand up to mics worth 5 to 10 times - IN THE CONTEXT OF A MIX. if you haven't tried one - i'd recommend it.

I also really love the Peluso mics - I will probably never own a real C12 but their P12 is a great mic.

I sold my TLM 103 after getting some better mics - it's top end is alluring at first but gets tiring after a while....
I agree with choosing a classic dynamic mic in that price range over a lot of these LC knock-offs?that honestly pros really don't use much. We've had many times a Sennheiser MD-421 has beaten out a Neumann U87 for vocal duties.

I also second Nick Sevilla's recommendation of checking out an AKG 414.

There's a reason why SM57s, SM7s, 421s, and 414s are found in every pro studio mic locker, and used on nearly every record ever made.

And, unless you're getting into really serious money, these companies that are making "tribute copies" of classic microphones, are pale comparisons to the originals.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 am

I've got a Sputnik in my space now...
I've found it very hyped in the high end and kind of 'plinky' sounding. Like there's a problematic resonance in the mic body.

Anyone else experience this?

I'd say that better quality mic's aren't always sexy sounding at first (generally Speaking) .....but they will almost always serve you better in the long run.

I'd also ask what, "exactly", are you looking for out of the mic....and why tube?

Personally...I've never liked the sm57 without variable Impedence switching on the preamp....but the sennheiser 414, 441 are fantastic mics. Beyerdynamic ribbons are also great. Very versatile, great on vocals, guitars etc...

If you've got to get a ldc and you can't wait, the Latvian made blue baby bottle is a very decent mic that should be available used in that price range.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:16 am

I think "414" is AKG?

I have a Sputnik. I like it on vocals - it is kind of a dirty and old-fashioned vocal sound to me. I recently used it on front of kit and loved it there, about 4' out and even with the top of the kick.

I really like the Senn 421 sometimes on vocals; it seems very smooth, not particularly detailed, somehow more refined than the SM7b and you can scream at it.

I also really like the Beyer M500 (I think roscoenyc reco'd it) when I want that kind of "good"-sounding ribbon, not very bright but quite clear. I so value it on vocals that I've never tried it on an amp, where it's said to be very good.

I have the Blue Spark, and it's quite usable, a little different than the typical Chinese condensor what with the "focus" switch. I've been looking for a second to try them as OH's, if only because of how funny/cool they look (what descrip also applies to the Sputnik). :twisted:

BTW, the M-Audio Luna is one of my faves, and I greatly prefer it to the Solaris.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 am

In that price range (or any), I'm definitely a KSM32 fan! I don't like the KSM44 nearly as much!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:54 pm

My experience with the KSM mics is that they're remarkably good...including the KSM27, also. They're not emulating anything, they're just very usable. Coming from a company we usually regard as making tough dynamic mics for live sound applications, they're even a little surprising.

The mid-line Audio Technicas are in the same category, the 20xx and 30xx ones.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."