Trailer Studio Build...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 am

Wow, great project, can't wait to see the end result.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any audio cables in the walls/floor/ceiling into the iso?

~B

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 pm

sonicmook56 wrote:Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any audio cables in the walls/floor/ceiling into the iso?

~B
In the last pic I posted, look to the right of the door, about a foot up from the floor. You can see 2 holes there. That's where the snake'll be coming through. The other side of that wall's not up yet so I haven't actually run the cable through, but it's getting time real soon...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 am

Man, where are the new pics. i'm getting sore from being on pins and needles this long.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Yeah, there hasn't been too much interesting things to take pictures of and post for a bit. There's progress, but it's slow, and mostly small-ish things. Been distracted with some recent jobs, which are ever so frustrating to work on because I broke down and put away my setup as it was taking up a good portion of space in our 1 bedroom apt., space which our growing little son really needs to be able to have to run around and break stuff (stuff that's not multi-thousand dollar equipment, that is). Now I'm pretty much relegated to my computer, 1 nice outboard pre/comp, an old MOTU 828 (I haven't gotten around to getting the drivers for my newly acquired RME multiface II [thank you, john]), the usb midi keyboard, and a set of headphones, BASICALLY workable for my needs, but extra annoying knowing what efficiency awaits once I get this thing done. I had to record some live drums the other day within a span of couple hours while the family was out doing some stuff and was really depressed by the sonic result. I did some experimenting with drum set/mic placement and stuff but didn't really have enough time to do it right. I made it work but it sucks knowing you can do (and have done) so much better. Blah, blah, blah... Sorry to be so complain-y.

We've also been spending a bunch of time looking at houses because it's about that time for us, and that's a whole other time-suck/mind-fuck. Anyway, we're on a much-welcomed vacation right now in Canada with some friends but when we get back, I plan on diving back into construction full steam (hopefully somewhat refreshed), and I'll take some pics of progress then.
Geoff Mann

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Here's a quick teaser pic:

I was trying to figure out what to do with my 703 and 705 scraps a while back. You know, something useful. Well, I installed this bench in the back (I think there used to be one there long ago), but I left the bottom open. I know it would be a better bass trap if the top wasn't going to be wood, but I'm afraid of not having any place to put stuff and possibly people. I can always put some cushions down...

Holding the scraps inside is some 2" Manville is300 (as opposed to 703. I've decided that that'll be good enough for the rest of the interior acoustics, and a fuckload cheaper and easier to acquire). Inside that is 3.5" ultratouch, followed by a contractor bag's worth of scrap insulation. Hopefully will do some good.

I was going to take a bunch more pics of the progress today, because I cleaned up real good in there a couple of days ago, but after dealing with insulation and panels and other stuff all day, the trailer's a total shit-hole again. It really takes no time at all for construction (or any projects, really) to overtake everything else. :twisted:

I'll get some more pics up as soon as possible. The ceiling in the drum booth is completely covered with insulation and I've built some little wall boxes for the outlets and some of the computer cables coming from the main room/area. I also found some big-ish art frames that my neighbor was throwing out today and they came in real handy making some corner traps.
Geoff Mann

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:34 am

Don't let your kids see that. It looks like a play pit. Can you imagine? "Yay jump in, it's soft..... aww my freaking eyes!"

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 am

"...aww my freaking eyes!"
I'm imagining Ralph Wiggum there...

Geoff Mann

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 pm

OK, new pics and update!!

After much frustration at the fact that home depot didn't seem to sell any pre-fab window security bars (I asked several times), and feeling overly daunted about the task of searching out an iron works place (for some reason), and being pissed of at the idea of having to go with some kind of ugly expanded metal grating option, I finally found the name of a company that makes these standard pre-fab window bars. Lo and behold, their website says that home depot carries them, but wait... I thought the guys at HD said they didn't carry anything like that. I returned there with a company name and style number in hand. The response?? "Oh yeah, we don't carry those at this location. You can get them at the other home depot down the street."

uhgggg....

Well, it ended up that the HD down the street didn't have the color and sizes I needed but I was able to special order them and they should be here in a week. Phew.... one more thing down.

Anyway, here's a shot of the drum booth as of today. Floor's lookin' nice n' shiny. There's still a bunch of absorption that needs to go in, but I've currently run out of fiberglass so that'll have to wait a week or 2. I'll also clean up the lines on the ceiling as I have a bit of hanging fabric (just aesthetic, but it bugs me). Hopefully the pic will right itself soon.

Here's some fuzzy close-ups of the little boxes I made for the outlets and the wall plate that brings the computer cables through so's I can have an extra monitor and keyboard at me fingertips, hopefully...

And here's a shot of the CR-ish area. Speaker stands installed, though they need to be secured a bit better as they are still squeaking a bit. Also, more absorptive treatment on the way. Again, just ran out of fiberglass. Those (ceiling) corner traps are courtesy of some art frames my neighbor threw out.

more soon...
Last edited by DrummerMan on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff Mann

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm

the fridge totally makes that space.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 pm

yeah, I'll have to get back to that project pretty soon too. :oops:
Geoff Mann

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:34 pm

THERE ARE CERTAIN SIGHTS THAT JUST BRING SOME WARMTH TO YOUR HEART...

With windows bars securely in place and a security video camera in full action, I started hauling gear to the trailer yesterday and spent a good deal of today looking for cables and plugging/wiring things in. I was very excited to see how everything ACTUALLY fit inside.

I may have to reconsider the placement of the vibes if I want to bring my rack compressors/pres/effects up to a more easily reachable level, like in line with the angle of the mixer (which, I don't know if you can tell, but I angled about 15 degrees to make reaching the EQ section a bit more enjoyable). That would be my ideal, but I can work with them down low for now, at least until I get another piece of gear or two, then I'll run out of room anyway and have to expand somewhere.

I didn't get to turning anything on today, but I'm pretty sure I at least wired everything together (or enough for now until I make a crap load of short cables for going between the aux sends, inserts, and the rest of my less-used gear to the patchbay). This leads me to my first question....

BIG STUPID OVERSIGHT NUMBER ONE:
For some amazing reason or another, I didn't pay attention to the fact that all the electrical outlets inside the trailer are only 2 pronged. Incredible, no? The plug outside the trailer that accepts power and goes into the trailer's power transformer is a BIG sturdy 3 pronged mother, so I just assumed there was grounding throughout, which of course there isn't for a trailer made in the 50's.

I know, I know, how, do you ask, could I not have noticed I was plugging power tools and stuff into 2 pronged outlets? Well, all my tools are two pronged. This is all why it's a BIG STUPID oversight. Anyhow, once I realized my stupidity, I started hoping that at least I could ground everything to the 3rd prong on the cord outside and luckily, I noticed all this before I finished putting up the wall between the drum booth and the rest of the trailer, so I had the foresight to run a heavy wire terminating at a screw on each side of the wall, so that I could run the grounds from the drum booth to the outside as well, not that there's really going to be anything grounded in the drum booth, but you never know.

Well yesterday, I noticed this power cord coming out of the wall:
It came from around where the bathroom and kitchen used to be and I had kind of forgotten about it, but lo and behold it has 3 wires. It must have been for some built in appliance, not the fridge though (wrong part of the trailer). All the other outlets have a white hot (+) wire and a black negative (-) wire. Would it be possible to imagine that the green wire from this here group could conceivably be the ellusive ground I've been hoping and dreaming for? :blush: It should be easy enough to see if the black and white wires power a light bulb or something, but how would I go about testing the green? Is there something I can get at the Radio SHack that will check ground? I can't imagine a regular old volt meter would do any good, but what the fuck do I know...

NEXT QUESTION:
Console power supply. Where to put it...

I've always kept my mixer power supplies kind of away from everything else, not based on factual reasons, but kind of just because. I always just thought that since you want to keep power cables away from audio cable, that a big power unit should be kept clear of audio stuff. I always had plenty of room to put stuff wherever, but since I'm trying to maximize every inch of this trailer, I thought I might shove it down in the rack currently below the mixer. Like I said, I'll ideally get the compressors, pres, and stuff I like to have at my fingertips up to a higher spot, but I'd consider leaving the digital interface(s) and maybe the patchbay(s) down there. Would I need to be concerned about interference between the power supply and these things.

If it's a concern, I could figure out another out of the way spot for it, but if it's not necessary, that would be even better.

sooooooo......
that's it for now. any thoughts? questions? concerns? comments?
Geoff Mann

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:59 pm

woooooooooooooooooord.

Geoff Mann

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am

I hate that sudden sinking feeling of "oh, THAT'S what I forgot", but at least it looks like you may have gotten lucky with the ground.

I know it's OT, but how do you like that Toft console?