FS: Presonus M-80 8 channel mic pre - $575 - SOLD!!!!!!!!

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Montevideo
gimme a little kick & snare

FS: Presonus M-80 8 channel mic pre - $575 - SOLD!!!!!!!!

Post by Montevideo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:05 pm

went locally. sorry.
Last edited by Montevideo on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

against88
takin' a dinner break

Post by against88 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:21 pm

these are great pre's, good DI for bass with the IDSS, and the summing option is cool. :P

Montevideo

Post by Montevideo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:00 am

b-u-m-p!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:48 pm

I have an MP20, which is the 2-channel version of this preamp. I've owned it since 2003 and replaced the Op-Amps with Burr-Browns. Great preamp. Whoever gets this is getting a great deal. $600 is a steal, and you can upgrade it with other Op-Amps as you can afford to do so. All ICs are socketed, so there is no solder required to do so.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 am

ipressrecord wrote:I have an MP20, which is the 2-channel version of this preamp. I've owned it since 2003 and replaced the Op-Amps with Burr-Browns. Great preamp. Whoever gets this is getting a great deal. $600 is a steal, and you can upgrade it with other Op-Amps as you can afford to do so. All ICs are socketed, so there is no solder required to do so.

Jeff
I second this. I've used these preamps on a lot of recordings, and they are awesome. I don't know where else you can get preamps with good input transformers on each channel for this cheap. Even stock they sound great. They are very versatile mic preamps too. They really are a steal at this price. I think the 2 channel version sold for $500 new a few years back, and they sold a ton of them around that price. 8 channels for near the same price is such a ridiculously good value.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Montevideo

Post by Montevideo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:10 am

valverec wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:I have an MP20, which is the 2-channel version of this preamp. I've owned it since 2003 and replaced the Op-Amps with Burr-Browns. Great preamp. Whoever gets this is getting a great deal. $600 is a steal, and you can upgrade it with other Op-Amps as you can afford to do so. All ICs are socketed, so there is no solder required to do so.

Jeff
I second this. I've used these preamps on a lot of recordings, and they are awesome. I don't know where else you can get preamps with good input transformers on each channel for this cheap. Even stock they sound great. They are very versatile mic preamps too. They really are a steal at this price. I think the 2 channel version sold for $500 new a few years back, and they sold a ton of them around that price. 8 channels for near the same price is such a ridiculously good value.
I know dooods!!! but no one is really hitting me up for it :(

someone BUY MY SH!T !!!

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 pm

If I had the scratch, I'd grab this. I had one for several years and made some nice recording with it. They are very versatile preamps and as noted can be upgraded with Burr-Brown opamps really easy (I did mine... it sounded awesome!)

$600 for 8 channels of goodness is a good deal! Somebody buy this thing!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:01 am

PM sent

second skin
audio school graduate

Post by second skin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:56 am

yeah i've been eyeing this one too, but i just don't have it at the moment

Montevideo

Post by Montevideo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:36 pm

another bump and price lowered!!!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:12 am

Somebody needs to buy this. Retail was $2300 when they were released!!! http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=29

You can't get four MP20s for this price. If I had the cash I would jump on this but I don't. Think about it... 8 channels of mic preamps that sound really nice stock AND you can upgrade them with Burr-Brown op-amps and don't have to solder. AND!!! They have input transformers. Jensen runs a special to put their trannies in these (if it doesn't already have them) for less than you would think. You can have a great preamp up front and sink a little into it and have an awesome preamp.

Or you can DIY:
http://www.imjohn.com/PresonusJensenXfr ... erSwap.htm
http://www.imjohn.com/PresonusJensenXfr ... Others.htm

The IDSS circuit is really cool. And I believe that you can insert compression or whatever on every channel. Plus... twice as many channels as a Sytek for less cash. Where the hell else are you going to get 8 channels of preamps for under $600? A Mackie? These things blow the doors off of the XDR preamps in a VLZ Pro.

Listening tests:
http://www.imjohn.com/PresonusJensenXfr ... gTests.htm

Damn. I wish that I had the cash. If I didn't just buy a house and have all of my holiday shopping to do...

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Wish I had the dough. It is truly a good deal.

Montevideo

Post by Montevideo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:05 pm

thanks dudes for the comments.

and thanks Jeff for the info you posted, it is very helpful.

still somewhat available. no one has sent payment yet!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:26 pm

wow, just reading all the good comments on this makes me think i need it as welll! haha.. any users know how these pre's would compare to say a soundtracs topaz project 8's pre's? i currently use those pres when i run out of outboard pre's, which i have 9 of. The topaz do the job well, but always curious on good deals. .

this along with digital drummer always having a PM1000 ready to buy around the holidays.. i should have remembered that from last year.. damnit.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:10 pm

I currently own a Topaz and I owned the M80 for several years (sold it before I got the Topaz, thinking I wouldn't record anymore). I would definitely say the Presonus is a step-up, especially if you put the Burr Browns in it (which I did).

If I had the scratch, I'd buy this... even though I have plenty of preamps! They have a nice character to them.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"