Oktava MK-319 mic review

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Re: Oktava MK-319 mic review

Post by Catoogie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:07 am

I just picked up two @ GC for $99. It seems like they don't really have a bunch on hand, my GC said they had 4 and when I went to pick them up they could only find 1. They had to pull one out of the display for me. So much for trying out a bunch at the store. I haven't had a chance to even check mine out yet. When I do if I find one's messed up I'll take it back and exchange it. I never really expect to ge a matched pair (or even a pair even close) so I'm not bummed if they're not exactly the same. I mean they're under $50 a piece for Christ's sake!!

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:13 am

Catoogie wrote:I just picked up two @ GC for $99. It seems like they don't really have a bunch on hand, my GC said they had 4 and when I went to pick them up they could only find 1. They had to pull one out of the display for me. So much for trying out a bunch at the store.

when i went they only had 1, and the other one was on hold for a customer, so the sale guy called the kid and he let me have it which was cool. I was disapointed that i couildnt try out any but the two i got work fine.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:25 am

This is a mic that is helping to destroy recording. Too many people by them because they are a cheap condensor and them record everything with them. Gauzy and dark are not words I like to use when describing a 'vocal sound', but that's what these mics offer. I've been getting alot of hip/hop tracks to mix that have little depth and clarity at the source because of vocals being recorded with these. These mics have infiltrated the low-budget hip/hop domain and the end result truly suffers because of it.

I don't recommend these. Get into a Shure KSM44 at a minimum before you begin to delude yourself that recording something worthwhile.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:08 am

Actually, uppity pricks help destroy recording.

I don't think you need to shell out $700 on a microphone in order that you won't "delude yourself that recording something worthwhile" as Mr. Robinson so eloquently stated. But then again, what the fuck do I know - I'm poor...

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:17 am

I gotta agree. Hey Robinson SHUT IT!!

soulsatzero
audio school

Post by soulsatzero » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:13 am

Isn't it funny that the people that get all pissed off when there is a negative opinion offered on some gear invariably own that product? Sometimes I think people feel positively about something just because they own it. I hear people raving about these mics but they are usually the same people who have never used a 414 or u87 or u195 etc etc. Just because you cant afford an expensive mic doesnt mean the cheap one you use is just as good. But what do I know I must be an uppity prick that needs to shut it since I dont think the 319 is much of a mic.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:31 am

Hey man I've used tons of awesome mics, both ridiculously expensive and extremely inexpensive, and I do happen to own a couple of 319's. Why I was telling him to shut it is because the way he comes off is so alll knowing and superior. It's cool if he doesn't like something and says so, but why does he have do sound like such an elitist dick about it? He could have easily phrased his reply as such.

"Gauzy and dark are not words I like to use when describing a 'vocal sound', but in my opinion that's what these mics offer. I've been getting alot of hip/hop tracks to mix that have little depth and clarity at the source because of vocals being recorded with these. These mics have infiltrated the low-budget hip/hop domain and I feel the end result truly suffers because of it.

I don't recommend these. I suggest youget into a Shure KSM44 at a minimum."

In my opinion it's the small things that make him such an ass, such as "This is a mic that is helping to destroy recording." and "before you begin to delude yourself that recording something worthwhile."

Also, I could have sworn he was going away from this board. There was some thread months ago where he was all up in arms about how all he ever does is teach people here and never learns anything worthwhile".

What happened Jeff?

For some people, buying two of these mics for $99 will allow them to do more recording where they can capture great performances and gain more experience as well as add more variety to their current sonic palette.

Now, please come down off your high horse.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:52 am

Guess what? I don't like the 319 either, and in fact "gauzy and dark" is almost a perfect description of what I don't like about it. And I do disagree with Catoogie that Mr. R should have put some disclaimers about how it was just his opinion, etc. because it's safe to assume that this entire board is a series of opinions. But I totally agree with this:
catoogie wrote: It's cool if he doesn't like something and says so, but why does he have do sound like such an elitist dick about it?
Instead of being helpful, he just has to make people feel bad about their mic choices and the fact that they can't afford nice stuff. If I won the lottery, I'd be swimming in cool equipment - I wouldn't even own a chinese or russian made mic. And I'm sure the other guys who posted to this thread would say the same thing. Okay, we'd all like to own a bunch of 251's and u47's and cool old mics that there's only one working model of - now that we've got that out of the way, which of the stuff that we can actually afford is worth recommending?

grrr...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:06 pm

To blame a microphone for ruining recording is really absurd. Its like blaming the V-12 engine for car accidents. It takes an engineer or a pet monkey to record something and these are the people to blame for the lousy sounds. Im a firm believer that the biggest piece of shit in the hands of the experienced can be made to work and I know there are engineers on this board who make a living on that creed. When I first saw the prices on these I immediately thought, wow, how cool that someone getting into recording can use a LDC out the gate. when I started out, the only thing I could afford was a SM58 and the next option up from there, in the mid 80's was like a friggin 414 or something like that, there just WERE NOT the budget mics then that we have today. Is a $100 LDC gonna sound good, well, it might, but shit, its one hundred dollars. For however muddy and murky it might sound, I cant see the guy who used it doing much better with an SM58 on the same tracks to be quite honest. Its amazing to me that there is cheap gear that while it may be overly murky or insanely peaky at 6K is still available to the beginner or the budgeted. I know that if I had an LDC when I was 12, by the time I was 25, I'd have a much greater concept of how they worked, even if the first LDC I got was a $100 and murky or peaky. And hell, thank the lord that these cheap mics sound cheap, it still makes it worth while to save the money to purchase a mic that will not only sound good but serve to be a good investment when you turn around and resell that mic. whats gonna suck is when some chinese or russian or whomever figures out a way to make those $100 mics sound excellent, if that day comes, there are alot of us who are gonna lose a fortune on our mics when we try to sell them when we are old and retired.

For the most part, even though pocket calculator can fix your out of tune vocals and put your drums in time, its largely still people who are responsible for ruining recording, not some fucking piece of gear, cheap or expensive.

dave

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:18 pm

soundguy wrote:To blame a microphone for ruining recording is really absurd. Its like blaming the V-12 engine for car accidents.
Yeah, what he said.

It's the ear, I tells you, not the gear.

Mics don't make bad records or make records sound bad. People do.

One man's trash is another man's only mic.

In the words of Johnny Storm..."Flame on..."

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:26 pm

Oh, and I wanted to say that the absolute best elec guitar sound I have ever gotten on anything I've ever done was recorded w/ a 319 in the mix. the tune's on my site.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:32 pm

And we're talking TWO for $99.00!!! C'mon? I have other mics but this a deal. Same with the 012's, I picked up two of those for $99.00 a couple of months ago because it was such an insane deal. And...I REALLY like them and they get used.

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Post by graveleye » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Hey I like my 319s a lot, and no one will change my mind.

I do wish that people would quit praising them so much though. Quit talking about how wonderful they are. Just shut up about them.
The first time there is some MTV coverage of a band in the studio and there is a 319 on a stand in the picture the price is going to shoot up on these mics. That seems to be the case with any piece of pro audio gear no matter how wonderful or shitty it is, if it gets enough press then the price jumps up because people think they are the shit (whether they are or not).

So everyone pleeeease keep ragging on them.
talk talk its only talk

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:49 pm

i second that...i've never had a better guitar amp sound than with my 219. and for my voice it works better than a vintage, unmodified u87 that the studio i go to uses. the u87 makes my voice sound dull....this one is perfect for it, go figure.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:47 pm

Well, I got one and I think it sounds pretty good. For the few negative posters, claming cloudy, gauzy, and dark sounding or whatever, it is important to note that as stated by a cazillion other people that these sometimes have quality controle issues that make some sound pretty bad. I mean, how many people have suggested you try out several before buying? Some are duds! I'll bet if you get a good one, it's a pretty good sounding mic. Mine seems to be. I will use mine over my SM7 for some apps. because it is better for some apps. so it can't be as bad as some claim. :shock: Maybe you guys are the ones that got to hear or own the bad ones??!?! :(
Last edited by Derrick on Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.