Analog Taste Test Feb 20th in Nashville, TN w/ ATR tape!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Analog Taste Test Feb 20th in Nashville, TN w/ ATR tape!

Post by cjmnash » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:37 pm

"Welcome To 1979" Studio - www.welcometo1979.com
1110 48th Ave North
Nashville, TN 37209
Friday Feb 20th @ 7pm

ATTN: Official tasters wanted!
You?re invited to try for yourself what we believe is the new way to go old school.

Here?s the scoop--More and more engineers are bringing their projects to Welcome To 1979 to spice up their mixes by taking select tracks out of their digital realm, running them through our vintage console, tape machines, and/or various pieces of analog outboard gear, then re-recording the ?vintaged? tracks back into their mixes after they?ve actually hit tape, and wow; what a difference a tape makes!

So here?s what we?ve cooked up--Instead of relying on hard/software ?analog simulators? that pale by comparison, we?d like to invite everyone to bring your hard drives (or DVD backups) in and let us walk you through the uber-simple process with our sonic buffet of real analog hardware?and the process also works awesome for completed mixes via our diverse selection of analog 2-track machines. (six total). We even encourage ?take-out?; take the results home to hear the difference for yourself in your own familiar audio environment.

All the fun you can eat--If you?ve been to one of our parties before, you?ll know it?s going to be a really laid back, fun, yet informative event designed to allow you to draw solid conclusions about how analog can interface with digital like warm apple pie interfaces with ice cream. The audio feast starts at 7pm, and please call now if you?d like a one-on-one demonstration; we?re scheduling them in half-hour intervals starting at 4pm. We?d love to have you!

Chris Mara
email questions/comments to cym@mindspring.com

Bon App?tit

Last edited by cjmnash on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 am

Next Friday folks!

Take a look at the invite, please pass this thread along to anyone that would be interested!

Rock.

Chris Mara

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:02 am

Mike Spitz from ATR Services is providing ATR Tape for all the machines we'll be using, so if you haven't heard ATR tape yet, this will be a great opportunity!

He'll also have a booth at the Nashville Recording Workshop and Expo which is taking place just down the road Feb 20th and 21st.

-Chris

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 am

tonight!

-chris

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:56 pm

for those who might be interested; this taste test gave me a great chance to try out ATR tape on all kinds of music; both on 2" and 1/4" for mixes. i had the machines aligned to +5/250 with 1.75 dB overbais @ 10K (30 ips) and 3 dB overbais @ 10K (15 ips) and loved what i heard.

i found it to be very true to the music when hitting it at normal levels; and it gets nice and beefy when hit harder. a lot of people who brought files in for a taste test left with two versions- "regular" and "hot".

i use BASF900, 3M 996, GP9, 499 and 456 on a regular basis; and ATR fits right in.

-chris mara
(NOT a paid endorsement! LOL)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm

cjmnash wrote:for those who might be interested; this taste test gave me a great chance to try out ATR tape on all kinds of music; both on 2" and 1/4" for mixes. i had the machines aligned to +5/250 with 1.75 dB overbais @ 10K (30 ips) and 3 dB overbais @ 10K (15 ips) and loved what i heard.

i found it to be very true to the music when hitting it at normal levels; and it gets nice and beefy when hit harder. a lot of people who brought files in for a taste test left with two versions- "regular" and "hot".

i use BASF900, 3M 996, GP9, 499 and 456 on a regular basis; and ATR fits right in.

-chris mara
(NOT a paid endorsement! LOL)
Good to know!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:37 pm

how did the ATR stuff compare to the quantegy stock you're used to working with?

i'm specifically talking about the tape compression characteristics and the 'drive', not the intrinsic tone.

did you get to try that out at all?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 am

themagicmanmdt wrote:how did the ATR stuff compare to the quantegy stock you're used to working with?

i'm specifically talking about the tape compression characteristics and the 'drive', not the intrinsic tone.

did you get to try that out at all?
yea man, i did- and it's just like cutting on the stuff i'm accustomed to using. mike said to try a few different levels/ bias settings on my MCIs, but right out of the gate at +5/250 1.75 overbias it had the exact same freq response as the other formulations i use, but the ATR stuff seems to like getting hit harder, IMHO.

oh yea, and mike said he's selling 1/4" pancakes for $30!! that's a no brainer!

chris

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:14 pm

I was fortunate enough to attend the event Chris is talking about, and I can say it was a great time. Not only for the purpose of the event, but also the chance to hang with local engineers as well as hang on the couch with Randy Blevins and John French telling war stories! The weekend won't soon be forgotten- my personal thanks for the invite.
As far as the ATR tape, I also was fortunate to have a lengthy conversation with Mike Spitz at AES, and walked away with a reel of 1/4" to try out on my 110A. I'll let you know my opinions. Thanks to Chris for the great gathering!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 pm

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:I was fortunate enough to attend the event Chris is talking about, and I can say it was a great time. Not only for the purpose of the event, but also the chance to hang with local engineers as well as hang on the couch with Randy Blevins and John French telling war stories! The weekend won't soon be forgotten- my personal thanks for the invite.
As far as the ATR tape, I also was fortunate to have a lengthy conversation with Mike Spitz at AES, and walked away with a reel of 1/4" to try out on my 110A. I'll let you know my opinions. Thanks to Chris for the great gathering!
thank YOU for coming all that way, and you're right travis- that part of the evening was awesome....well over 150 years of experience graced the studio that night, not including myself or my contemporaries!!

-chris