Soundelux U97

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Randall
pushin' record

Soundelux U97

Post by Randall » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:18 am

I have to admit, my first attraction to this Mic was the "best bang for the buck" advertising slogan SD was using when this one was released a number of years ago, I needed an LD and this one was only 500 bucks so I jumped on it, having said that I can add that this Mic has met and exceeded my expectations in every App that I have used it for, Vocals, warm, fat, smooth, all those little words that are translated to mean very good sound and performance these days, on instruments it is mucho wayno, acoustic guitar is awsome, in front of an amp is awsome, overheads, drum or piano, awsome, kick drum, awsome, I mean this sucker is an all around wonderfull peice of kit, I have ne regrets or complaints whatsoever except that SD discontinued this Mic, probably because it was direct competition to their own more expensive models, they just did this microphone right, wish I had at least one more of them
"tune that thing son"

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Soundelux U97

Post by pscottm » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:30 am

i think they discontinued them because its build was not in line w thier other mics. uses a chinese capsule.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:53 am

Ours is down to cardioid only. We noticed problems with it and sent it to James Gangwer (who Soundelux recommends). He told us that the board was shot (Soundelux didn't have replacements), and that without going on an expensive fishing expedition, we would just have to bypass the pattern choices. Doing so brought the output down by 10db also. It's still a good mic, but ultimately it's less than we wanted. May try and sell it (with full disclosure) soon.

Yeah...so it was definitely build quality that 86'ed this mic. Bad luck kinda screwed me on this one. That said, I still have my eye on the ifet and the U195.

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:20 am

maybe I got lucky with mine
"tune that thing son"