Making Speaker stands (should I buy?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Making Speaker stands (should I buy?)

Post by losthighway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 pm

I've been using a massive desk forever, and I just kinda set my speakers on there with some foam blocks to get them to ear level.

I'm shrinking my desk (not mixing desk, desk) soon and I realize I will probably need speaker stands to set them up at an adequate width. Anyone ever make these, or can they be bought for reasonable price? How did you make yours?

(ps sorry if this is DIY question, it seemed a little blurry to me)

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:38 pm

I made some out of 3-in black ABS pipe and toilet flanges; filled with sand; and bolted on some plywood top and bottom. Seem to work fine. I recall getting this off a website a long while back. There should be other DIY designs around. You might check John Sayers studio building site for ideas as well.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:16 pm

I made very similar stands to the ones that Al suggests, but used 4" pipe so they'd be heavier.

I'm extremely happy with the results - really helped with stereo separation.

It's important to use kiln-dried (playground) sand - the stuff for concrete can have moisture in it and cause mold issues.

Tim

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 am

For a quick, cheap fix you can simply stack up cinder blocks to the desired height. If you really wanna get hardcore, wrap a layer of 2" rigid fiberglass (705 works better than 703) in duct tape and put that between the cinderblocks and the speakers.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:09 am

I've heard you can use PVC pipe and fill the bottom with sand to keep them stable.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

JWL wrote:For a quick, cheap fix you can simply stack up cinder blocks to the desired height. If you really wanna get hardcore, wrap a layer of 2" rigid fiberglass (705 works better than 703) in duct tape and put that between the cinderblocks and the speakers.
That might look just industrial enough to fool clients into thinking it was a decorative choice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:32 pm

JWL wrote:For a quick, cheap fix you can simply stack up cinder blocks to the desired height. If you really wanna get hardcore, wrap a layer of 2" rigid fiberglass (705 works better than 703) in duct tape and put that between the cinderblocks and the speakers.
I'm doing this, this week.