Reason #23487 why TapeOp is cooler than Gearslut

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:59 pm

One good thing about Gearslutz is that they don't have any gigantic avatars there.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 pm

I just joined the Gibson forum and everyone there posts their guitar rig list. So I did too. It is what it is.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 am

A lot of folks who frequent DAW forums have their setup in their sig on those boards. It seems to help with troubleshooting when everyone else can see what you've got ITB. And it beats having to re-post it every time there's an issue with your rig.

That being said, it always seems funny when i see someone on, say, Cubase.net who has their pc/mac specs, OS, plug-in list, interface AND all their high-end pres and mics in their sig.
Prog out with your cog out.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:10 am

gearslutz = rules, formula, i got this, i got that, mines bigger than yours
tapeop = creative, artistic, forget the canvas we re painting on recycled newspapers today no paint brushes allowed !
is it beer 30 yet?????

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:54 pm

I kind of like the gear lists. I use them to snarkily filter out the chaff.

When some guy tells you everthing about layering reverbs that he read in a book somewhere often I get a hint in his sig:

Something like:

mics, 27 sm57s, 1 Rode NT1,
Preamp: Maudio superbuddy pro.
drums: Swizzle ProStar Plus cymbal pack. 4b promark drumsticks.
guitar: Walmart dayglo superhammer +
Dell computer with stolen software running Live.

Whatever, if they are killing it and I hear their stuff, then I will investigate. But generally, I like to seek the opinions of someone better than me.
I'm a bad man!

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:57 pm

In all honesty, some members of TapeOp ruined it for me. Or rather, I nearly let them ruin it for me. My fault, not theirs. At any rate, I find it generally maddening when someone is blatantly a beginner and/or asking for advice and all anyone can say is "it depends". I read that as "yahweh forbid I tell him something, he tries it and it sucks for that song! even worse - what if he posts that it sucked and that I told him? People will think I'm dumb!". Maddening, I say! When someone asks a question, saying "it depends" as an answer is semantically equal to "go fuck yourself" to me.

And another - everything is so dreadfully serious it seems! We record music for a living/fun. How AWESOME is that? ... Someone accidentally misspoke about the details of a mid/side matrix? Don't start a flamewar over it. Polity offer better information and move on.

[/rant]. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. All that being said, there's a reason I'm back. Because TapeOp is an invaluable service to us all and there's just so much to be learned here for me. And I feel like I can contribute (a little) with my own unique perspective, knowledge and experiences.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Stevil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:26 am

LazarusLong wrote: And another - everything is so dreadfully serious it seems! We record music for a living/fun. How AWESOME is that? ... Someone accidentally misspoke about the details of a mid/side matrix? Don't start a flamewar over it. Polity offer better information and move on.
but then you miss out on the whole purpose of the internets, to establish a pecking order for all of humanity :wink:

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 am

LazarusLong wrote:In all honesty, some members of TapeOp ruined it for me. Or rather, I nearly let them ruin it for me. My fault, not theirs. At any rate, I find it generally maddening when someone is blatantly a beginner and/or asking for advice and all anyone can say is "it depends". I read that as "yahweh forbid I tell him something, he tries it and it sucks for that song! even worse - what if he posts that it sucked and that I told him? People will think I'm dumb!". Maddening, I say! When someone asks a question, saying "it depends" as an answer is semantically equal to "go fuck yourself" to me.

And another - everything is so dreadfully serious it seems! We record music for a living/fun. How AWESOME is that? ... Someone accidentally misspoke about the details of a mid/side matrix? Don't start a flamewar over it. Polity offer better information and move on.

[/rant]. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. All that being said, there's a reason I'm back. Because TapeOp is an invaluable service to us all and there's just so much to be learned here for me. And I feel like I can contribute (a little) with my own unique perspective, knowledge and experiences.
You haven't seen Pro Sound Web have you? :P

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 am

LazarusLong wrote:In all honesty, some members of TapeOp ruined it for me. Or rather, I nearly let them ruin it for me. My fault, not theirs. At any rate, I find it generally maddening when someone is blatantly a beginner and/or asking for advice and all anyone can say is "it depends". I read that as "yahweh forbid I tell him something, he tries it and it sucks for that song! even worse - what if he posts that it sucked and that I told him? People will think I'm dumb!". Maddening, I say! When someone asks a question, saying "it depends" as an answer is semantically equal to "go fuck yourself" to me.
You typically only see these responses when new people are looking for some magic solution to a problem, or some "standard" way of doing things. I see it as an effective lesson to these people. At some point, they're going to have to realize that it's not nearly as easy as they originally thought it would be. To me, one of the most important lessons to learn is that IT DEPENDS! It has nothing to do with paranoia about giving bad advice. It has everything to do with giving the best advice possible to people looking for an easy answer. It's not that easy. Problem solving and critical thinking are all that really separates the people who get great results and the people who struggle. Learning this lesson early can make a huge difference in how much time you spend banging your head against a wall, wondering why using the same mic as so-and-so doesn't result in the same sound.

People coming here, looking for suggestions of things to try and possible solutions to problems are going to get plenty of suggestions. People coming here looking for the "answer" are going to learn the harsh reality that there's no one answer that will save them. Often, those looking for "the answer" aren't looking to understand what they're doing. They're just looking for someone to tell them what to do to get some kind of guaranteed results. I feel like "it depends" is a good lesson for these folks to learn.

"What are some suggested compression settings?" "What's the best mic for acoustic guitar?" These are the kinds of questions that indicate that the person asking them is not really interested in learning WHY things work. They just want someone to tell them what to do.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 am

subatomic pieces wrote: At some point, they're going to have to realize that it's not nearly as easy as they originally thought it would be.
See, the message I get is that recording is easy, provided you:
1. Get creative.
2. Use your ears.
3. Know that the space you record in is very important to your sound.
4. Know that mic placement is very important to your sound.
5. Can learn something new whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I don't mean someone is going to get good sounds their first time out. But the above ideas are espoused every day here. I think they remove the "ohgodwhatisallthis" for the 1st timer. I know there's a lot more to recording, and there's plenty of discussion of specifics here, but those ideas are "the answer", IMHO.
Last edited by Jay Reynolds on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prog out with your cog out.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:40 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:In all honesty,[...]They just want someone to tell them what to do.
You got me thinking, subatomic. You and I just projected ourselves ALL OVER what everyone else. For me, I'm naturally inquisitive so when I was noobish enough to ask "what's the best [x]??" I inherently wanted to know why. So "it depends" was maddening and held me back because I didn't know asses from elbows, so to speak. I had to starting point, but was ready to experiment. Whereas you needed to learn that there was no solid answer. Perhaps a synthesis of both of our outlooks would be best:

"[x] is a great starting point, and I've found it works in certain situations, such as [y]."
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Smiles
audio school

Post by Smiles » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Gearslutz if full of hired posters. Silly and rude kids and people who can't make decent sound out of their rig of API preamps, SSL's and sissy Neummans.

I really hate those professional forum posters hired by companies. They belong to the scum of the earth. Indeed.

Smiles
audio school

Post by Smiles » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:16 pm

dwlb wrote:I just joined the Gibson forum and everyone there posts their guitar rig list. So I did too. It is what it is.
The worst, most pathethic bands in the world all use Gibson guitars. So you couldn't expect much more from their forum.

btw, here's my rig:

1 Dick
2 Balls

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:32 pm

too bad Garges isn't the moderator on this thread - it's certainly going nowhere fast...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 pm

*edited 'cause, well, it ain't worth it*
Last edited by JGriffin on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/